1. State of the Rp Community?

Hello,

So I was wondering, I recently came back to Molten....Well now Warmane after about a year and a half leave. I know that before there were numerous roleplay guilds across the servers now from the looks of it there is barely anything. I was wondering why not just bring everyone together onto one realm via Horde and Alliance or am I missing something here? Am I better off trying to figure this out or should I leave and head elsewhere?

2. I play in Lordaeron and Frostwolf realm, Lordaeron being the progressive 1x server. The general view of Lordaeron is : Low levels either twink, or grind level... while High levels either do BG, daily, clears current contents or grind gears. People usually just look weirdly, and at rarer times, bluntly diss rpers.

Slightly related, people rarely check quest text, npc names and stuff and skips stuff, and as result, barely knows some lore behind stuff. One Alliance guy I know didn't even recognize Varian Wrynn.

3. It's like this. Most everyone wants to do their own thing and only their own thing. Faction, style ,race, etc. Very few make a genuine effort to try and meet even a quarter of the way, instead trying to convince others or trick others into their whatever RP genre they are into. I and LG have spent many hours talking to a few folk who were/are genuinely interested in alliance / scenario / plotline / guild RP and a lot more who feigned interest in order to get myself and other members to do their thing. Don't get me wrong. This is pretty much par for the course across all MMORPG's I've played on the past few years. In my experience here, I have noticed that folk on warmane tend to have less patience then in the other MMORPGs that we have played on in recent memory. Usually people would give it a try for a few sessions before they decide to move on.

If you can find a pay server where people fell committed and are committed, that is probably the best option. There are a few other non-wow communities out there with a decent population base of habitual RP'ers. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect you'd have much more luck then here then on the average typical MMORPG game server.
    Edited: April 2, 2016

4. It's unfortunate to see the state of RP on Warmane is non-existent, at least the forum reflects that. At one point it was thriving, although still scattered. This seems to be the result of the years of infighting, pettiness and drama. Plus, the restart probably hammered the final nail in the coffin.

I'd suggest finding RP elsewhere, you won't find it here.

R.I.P.

5. This is actually quite sad going from numerous RP guilds of about 30+ people down to nothing.
    Though from what Ive seen there is obviously a couple of pockets of roleplay around. Why not just join everyone together into one guild or group on a server and roleplay that way. I see a solid at least 25+ people coming, or has the drama really been that bad since 2013?

6. This is actually quite sad going from numerous RP guilds of about 30+ people down to nothing.
    Though from what Ive seen there is obviously a couple of pockets of roleplay around. Why not just join everyone together into one guild or group on a server and roleplay that way. I see a solid at least 25+ people coming, or has the drama really been that bad since 2013?
    For the umpteen millionth time. Just because you enjoy Rp does not mean you enjoy X,Y, Z genre. Personally I find cartoonish, comicbookish, and powermongering RP to be utter boorish tripe. Most evil horde army RP style is so boorish that OMG I can't wait till its going to end... Same as shallow or nonsensical paladin style characters who want to make me gag. Blood elf, emo RP...holy crap, just stab me in the eye and be done with it. IMO blood elf RP should just die because of all the snowflaky bull**** that tends to come along with it. While everyone is facepalming, some guy/gal thinks their story is gold! unique, a great read... when it's just complete trash that ruins everyone elses immersion. I'm a magic junkie goth self-hating self serving individual that care deeply about everyone else despite my overwhelming pain and self hatred? My character makes sense to me even though it defies all logic and social precedencet!!!!!! *facepalm* Not to mention the types who PRETEND to be one way or another where you have to think. Is he/she just a really bad roleplayer, has no logical sense, or, WTF is this person thinking?

Anyway, other people may enjoy which I feel is completely waste of time bored off my *** bullspit. Everyone is free to enjoy everyones sub amateurish writing, including my own, I'm a hack, but at least all my characters and storylines are based somewhere in 'reality' and logic. A large guild that includes everyone will never work, the trick is getting folk with somewhat similar interests to agree on things and THAT is a lot harder then you think it would be. I've tried for years on small servers with some limited success. Best you can do is get people to compromise part away and that is...lol....a very thankless chore, I tell you. Don't expect people will be grateful, because they will not.
    Edited: April 10, 2016

7. RP died with 5.4.8 update. 5.4.2 we had the ability to speak to the other faction and A LOT of people took advantage of role playing in less traffic zones such as gilneas, silverpines, etc.

Was good while it lasted.

8. RP died with 5.4.8 update. 5.4.2 we had the ability to speak to the other faction and A LOT of people took advantage of role playing in less traffic zones such as gilneas, silverpines, etc.

Was good while it lasted.
    OMG. Please. You SODS want confrontational victimization BS like everyone else and his mother, so many evil sorts want paladins or other good doer's to crap on or victimize. I've seen this over and over and over again the past 10 years. Horde doesn't need to Rp with alliance at all or vias versa . Since the crystal tear, people were trying to get my guildies to play the victims, for horde to hunt torture and whatever. Not for us to overcome, mind you, for us to be willingly victimized for their own sadistic RP desires. Same with the collectors and hence why I made castella a strong leader and demi-god so we don't have to put up with other peoples crap unless it makes a good story line for the benefit of all parties.
    Edited: April 10, 2016

9. Perhaps we need to step back a bit - feels like everyone writing here came with negative mindset to begin with.

As far as I could tell, Collectors seem to be still around, not sure how did it change over the past weeks. Lordaeron... after the "war" between some roleplayers and other parties things became quiet. Maybe not because it all died out, but because it generated a lot of spite.

I admit, I was focused on other things than roleplay on warmane, but it got me curious: how do people here generally react to, say, an event (that is well-advertised) to draw people in? Like a relaxed night with storytelling, contests, hanging out in Darnassus or such?

10. For the umpteen millionth time. Just because you enjoy Rp does not mean you enjoy X,Y, Z genre. Personally I find cartoonish, comicbookish, and powermongering RP to be utter boorish tripe. Most evil horde army RP style is so boorish that OMG I can't wait till its going to end... Same as shallow or nonsensical paladin style characters who want to make me gag. Blood elf, emo RP...holy crap, just stab me in the eye and be done with it. IMO blood elf RP should just die because of all the snowflaky bull**** that tends to come along with it. While everyone is facepalming, some guy/gal thinks their story is gold! unique, a great read... when it's just complete trash that ruins everyone elses immersion. I'm a magic junkie goth self-hating self serving individual that care deeply about everyone else despite my overwhelming pain and self hatred? My character makes sense to me even though it defies all logic and social precedencet!!!!!! *facepalm* Not to mention the types who PRETEND to be one way or another where you have to think. Is he/she just a really bad roleplayer, has no logical sense, or, WTF is this person thinking?

Anyway, other people may enjoy which I feel is completely waste of time bored off my *** bullspit. Everyone is free to enjoy everyones sub amateurish writing, including my own, I'm a hack, but at least all my characters and storylines are based somewhere in 'reality' and logic. A large guild that includes everyone will never work, the trick is getting folk with somewhat similar interests to agree on things and THAT is a lot harder then you think it would be. I've tried for years on small servers with some limited success. Best you can do is get people to compromise part away and that is...lol....a very thankless chore, I tell you. Don't expect people will be grateful, because they will not.
    The point I made behind this is, obviously not everyone likes the same style of roleplay but people like roleplay in GENERAL. The fact you could have a group of people brought together to have a basis of standard roleplay that everyone can do. Then of course others who have their specialized and favorite type of RP can branch off and do their own sub group thing. I find it better to have all the roleplayers at least grouped together then having small pockets of 1-5 people all over the place doing their own thing. Even if people have their own types of roleplay they like we are still all roleplayers.

11. By the look of the replies on this thread, the best chance you will have is trying to run an RP event or form a guild and see who will show up. The chances of getting everyone together or getting the community back to the state it use to be is never going to happen.

12. By the look of the replies on this thread, the best chance you will have is trying to run an RP event or form a guild and see who will show up. The chances of getting everyone together or getting the community back to the state it use to be is never going to happen.
    Not necessarily true - the part about never. More thinking on smaller scale. Fact is, well-developed roleplay needs stability. It can come in many ways, like charismatic person, regular event, active guild, you name it.

A key element, however, is trust of people. And that factor is painfully overlooked most of times. If the people start doubting, they may start acting as if things already went bad.

So, for example, even if on the regular event first few times only two or three people show up, it is best to continue, especially if they express enjoyment.

13. Not necessarily true - the part about never. More thinking on smaller scale. Fact is, well-developed roleplay needs stability. It can come in many ways, like charismatic person, regular event, active guild, you name it.

A key element, however, is trust of people. And that factor is painfully overlooked most of times. If the people start doubting, they may start acting as if things already went bad.

So, for example, even if on the regular event first few times only two or three people show up, it is best to continue, especially if they express enjoyment.
    I think thats one of the major problems is that many people do not trust in each other, from what Ive heard and seen about all the drama which had gone on. I personally would love to try to organize some sort of event or guild just based around general type of RP and let people branch out from there.

14. The point I made behind this is, obviously not everyone likes the same style of roleplay but people like roleplay in GENERAL. The fact you could have a group of people brought together to have a basis of standard roleplay that everyone can do. Then of course others who have their specialized and favorite type of RP can branch off and do their own sub group thing. I find it better to have all the roleplayers at least grouped together then having small pockets of 1-5 people all over the place doing their own thing. Even if people have their own types of roleplay they like we are still all roleplayers.
    The problem I ran into is people wanted to RP, but not having any alts in the Crystal Tear ran by Mara and the same issue with the collectors. Which was a new situation that I really hadn't encountered before in the past. I had to make it a rule such that if they wanted to regularly RP with us and be a significant part of the ongoing story of the collectors they had to have at least an alt in the guild. That didn't work. TBH, at that point, before Plgdoctor123 joined we were ready to close shop. It's not much to ask someone have an alt in your guild to RP with. People want to be in guilds with their other non-rp'er ooc friends which is understandable, but no one really wanted to keep in touch in the OOCRP chat either.

I'm not trying to be overly negative or anything here, I'm just passing along the state of things objectively here on warmane. It isn't all that different in what I experienced in other servers with a decline of RP population. I'd say at least here you have an advantage as the staff isn't meddling and trying to control everything so the community, if adequately motivated, could truly mold the RP around the community for the community. It's up to you all. FInd common ground and RP in public areas in the hopes that someone else finds it interesting. I did day to day RP for years, quite a bit sim style, and that sort of RP isn't interesting to me anymore without some kind of driving force / storyline behind it. So basically it's up to you all, if you want RP bad enough you gotta put in all the time consuming thankless dirty work.
    Edited: April 11, 2016

15. I think thats one of the major problems is that many people do not trust in each other, from what Ive heard and seen about all the drama which had gone on. I personally would love to try to organize some sort of event or guild just based around general type of RP and let people branch out from there.
    That has been the problem the past year, everyone wants to branch out and do their own thing and there just isn't the RP population base to support consistent RP. A lot of people tell me the only RP on X server and they wont commit to RP anywhere else or they want to only RP on Y server as alliance / horde / or some race. I think your best bet is doing some sort of military style RP in a conflict zone. Quite a number did express interest in it, but I can't tell you if they were actually committed or not. The Lordy military style guild lasted less then 4 weeks so don't get your hopes up too high if you try it.
    Edited: April 11, 2016

12 Last