1. On what is the rotation based ? normal mobs or bossfights? Should avenging wrath not always be cast before anything else ? Im confused because its not part of the rotation and its one of our most powerful spells...

2. In the experiment, I'm assuming that the paladin is alone. The only given buff is GBoM, and I'm using seal of vengeance. The procedure, if that's what you're asking, is as follows: I stand behind the dummy and pop wings (avenging wrath) and begin using the following FCFS rotation:

Judgement -> Divine Storm -> Crusader Strike -> Consecration -> Exorcism

The fight continues until avenging wrath is no longer on cooldown (2 minutes exact), at which point I'll run away from the dummy and wait until I leave combat (dots are still ticking). This most accurately represents a basic boss fight, like Gormok the Impaler in ToC.

As you'll notice, there's no Hammer of Wrath. For best results, I'm training on the heroic training dummy in IF, which can't go down to 20% health. Unlike NPCs, which can die, the training dummy doesn't pop any cooldowns or attack me, eliminating unnecessary variables. However, the results could be extrapolated to any boss/NPC and still be relatively accurate.

I'm not trying to find the best way to fight as a paladin, that's independent of gear. I'm trying to find what gear would provide best DPS in a long-term battle if play style didn't change. It's a fairly simple experiment, but it'll give a good idea of how each individual piece of gear affects your paladin, and can ultimately answer the hot question of agility vs strength (oath vs gloren) for a paladin and, for example, whether or not Anub'ar Stalker's Gloves are better than Fleshrending Gauntlets, depending on your gear overall. Eventually, I'm going to throw Shadowmourne into the mix and see how that changes things.

EDIT: I should also point out that since I can't give my paladin free gear, I'm performing these tests on my own private server. That means if Warmane has modified the stats for paladins and/or their gear, the results will be inconclusive. However, WOTLK at its core is still WOTLK and it shouldn't be too far off.
    Edited: April 27, 2020

3. On what is the rotation based ? normal mobs or bossfights?
    Normal mobs are treated as irrelevant. On a boss, there are a variety of things that affect the priority system of the rotation.

Should avenging wrath not always be cast before anything else ? Im confused because its not part of the rotation and its one of our most powerful spells...
    On a single target, you can cast Avenging Wrath before anything else on the pull, or you can cast it once Seal of Vengeance/Corruption is at 5 stacks. The dps difference between the two won't be very big. May as well just use it at the start, though. On a multi-target fight where the cleave actually matters, then yes, Avenging Wrath before anything else. If the cleave doesn't really matter that much (p1 LK for example), then you treat it as single target.

4. As you'll notice, there's no Hammer of Wrath. For best results, I'm training on the heroic training dummy in IF, which can't go down to 20% health. Unlike NPCs, which can die, the training dummy doesn't pop any cooldowns or attack me, eliminating unnecessary variables. However, the results could be extrapolated to any boss/NPC and still be relatively accurate.
    A training dummy doesn't reflect a raid environment though. Very different.

EDIT: I should also point out that since I can't give my paladin free gear, I'm performing these tests on my own private server. That means if Warmane has modified the stats for paladins and/or their gear, the results will be inconclusive. However, WOTLK at its core is still WOTLK and it shouldn't be too far off.
    This is also assuming the core and database of the emulator you're using is accurate. You also don't have to deal with server lag in this scenario, whereas sims can factor in latency.

5. Hello, I'm looking for some advise for my build.

I just cannot get the expertise cap of 26 with this https://db.rising-gods.de/?profile=53113754 and the only option I see is to swap the [Polar Bear Claw Bracers] with something that increases expertice.

Or should I just put more Precise Cardinal Ruby's in sockets? Also, for some reason, the Waist-Item says it's missing one socket.
    Edited: April 24, 2020 Reason: Spelling

6. Hello, I'm looking for some advise for my build.

I just cannot get the expertise cap of 26 with this https://db.rising-gods.de/?profile=53113754 and the only option I see is to swap the [Polar Bear Claw Bracers] with something that increases expertice.

Or should I just put more Precise Cardinal Ruby's in sockets? Also, for some reason, the Waist-Item says it's missing one socket.
    The link is not working, at least for me

7. The link is not working, at least for me
    I accidentally set it to private. Sorry for that, it should work now.

8. Hello, I'm looking for some advise for my build.

Now that I can see it, I'd like to ask: Why are you rocking the T9 heroic legs instead of the T10 heroics? Per the BIS list in this thread you should also add 1 precise cardinal ruby. This way you should get much closer to the exp cap. Both of these things will grant you 32 more expertise rating than your current setup and both should be enough to reach the cap or at least get much closer to it (with glyph of seal of vengeance)

9. Now that I can see it, I'd like to ask: Why are you rocking the T9 heroic legs instead of the T10 heroics? Per the BIS list in this thread you should also add 1 precise cardinal ruby. This way you should get much closer to the exp cap. Both of these things will grant you 32 more expertise rating than your current setup and both should be enough to reach the cap or at least get much closer to it (with glyph of seal of vengeance)
    Well...the reason might be dumb, but it's because of the appearance.

I don't like how the Lightsworn Legplates look, so I decided to swap the gloves to get that 4-piece Bonus and find a weaker variant of the plates that has the same attributes.
    Totally forgot about that Ruby that grants +2 expertise and the glyph, thank you for the reminder.

Now I want to ask, is that cap generally only relevant if you raid or also for everything else?

10. Sounds like you need to farm up some transmog scrolls buddy.

11. Now I want to ask, is that cap generally only relevant if you raid or also for everything else?
    The 26 expertise cap for dodges will always be relevant for you when it comes to raids. At bis, you either sit at 25 or 26 depending on the professions you have. But either way you will have 1 20/34 expertise gem in your gear.

12. Hi,

Thanks for the guide! The discussion is also very rich.

I would like to ask a question regard playing with lag. Here in my country we usually play with 200ms. A friend of mine from here told me that as we are playing with delay it would be better to prioritize items of plate/str > leather/agi overall. Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance,

13. what is the best profession for ret pal ?

14. Hi,

Thanks for the guide! The discussion is also very rich.

I would like to ask a question regard playing with lag. Here in my country we usually play with 200ms. A friend of mine from here told me that as we are playing with delay it would be better to prioritize items of plate/str > leather/agi overall. Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance,
    It won't make much of a difference. The best you can do is adjust how you play. That is all that will have an real impact on your performance compared to other players who have better latency.

what is the best profession for ret pal ?
    Engineering and
    Tailoring OR Jewelcrafting.

Engineering + Tailoring is very bursty and can perform great if you handle it well.
    Engineering + Jewelcrafting is very good, but easier to manage. You won't have to concern yourself about the Tailoring proc.

If you want something good for "easy mode", go for Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing.

15. Quick question regarding the options I have currently for gearing and the different encounters I find myself doing frequently, from what I've read on the thread so far using Anub'ar Stalker's Gloves and Astrylian's Sutured Cinch is better for longer fights like Halion or Lich King due to the increased crit chance you get, in a situation where I have the 2 items mentioned previously as well as Coldwraith Links and Freshrending Gauntlets, what would I want to use for almost every raid boss and when would I want to swap those items them around?

First ... 152324252627 ... Last