1. May 11, 2016  

Class Counters

Was wondering what the counter classes were to each class. Im assume the list is pretty short for each class.

2. May 11, 2016  
    Take my words with a grain of salt, but I'm sure most of the my input is accurate and that most top notch duelers will agree with me. It should be noted that any class can do well against any class, however there are obviously some classes which have the advantage against others. You'll also have to consider the specs which will result in hundreds of matchups.

The most 'counter' you'll probably see on wotlk are:

Ret paladin vs. Frost mage - Now unless you play on Arena Tournament/Blackrock, Rets do not fare very well against mages as you don't get mana refunded from absorbed judgements.

Ret paladin vs. ALL Rogue - Extremely difficult for the rogue to kill if the Ret sits with high resilience, 1h and shield, and freedoms kidneys on shadow dance. Technically if the rogue manages to down the ret, they can just bubble and reset. During freedoms it's not hard to kite a rogue with judgement of justice if they use sprint.

Unholy Death Knight vs. Shadow Priest - Obviously the DK has the advantage with all the anti-caster cooldowns they have against shadow priests. DKs only have to worry about Psychic Scream, Psychic Horror, Shackle undead and Dispersion from priests which are all fairly manageable if you play well. If the gargoyle is not shackled it's usually a sure loss for the priest. However, if the priest manages to get full dots and kite the DK really well (usually they have to survive til the third fear to do this), then they may win.

Frost mage vs. Prot Warrior - Although not impossible, Prot warriors generally don't fare very well against frost mage despite their cooldowns. Any average frost mage will eat reflects with a crappy ice lance and jump every charge. However, a really really good Prot will stomp a bad frost mage.

Hunter vs. Sub Rogue - Rogue has many tools to gimp hunters; cheap/kidney/dismantle/blind/shadowstep/cloak/vanish, so on and so forth. Dismantle also prevents Deterrence. Shadowstep after disengage and cloak sprint entrapment roots usually allows rogues to be extremely sticky. For BM hunters, rogues really just have to back off on Bestial Wrath (usually cloak vanish and wait) and come back again to finish them off.

Destruction Warlock vs Rogue - Lock will wear maximum resilience, Corroded key and use succubus spec. Rogue cannot global warlock in a cloak kidney like that. Put succubus 20+ yards away from lock so it doesn't get interrupted. If rogue trinkets GG full coil/shadowfury and perhaps full seduce too.

Now remember, there are always exceptions because it may be a matchup of a really good player vs. super bad player, or someone screwed up; but at equal gear and skill this is usually what happens.

3. May 11, 2016  
    Unholy Death Knight vs. Shadow Priest - Obviously the DK has the advantage with all the anti-caster cooldowns they have against shadow priests. DKs only have to worry about Psychic Scream, Psychic Horror, Shackle undead and Dispersion from priests which are all fairly manageable if you play well. If the gargoyle is not shackled it's usually a sure loss for the priest. However, if the priest manages to get full dots and kite the DK really well (usually they have to survive til the third fear to do this), then they may win.
    I am playing shadow priest in this case and I found this matchup impossible to win, unless DK is AFK. I get all this concept to dot him up and try to kite, but I am not able to put it in practice. It feels that DK can almost perma slow you (yes I use fade, but I think he can slow you again if he has rune or something?), use anti-magic shell to put pressure on you from the start ( during this time I have no idea what to do, should I disperse it?), he wont let me to get VT on him, even if I get some range he grips me, he can remove my fear using his undead buff thingy and his pets are always dealing dmg (I dont find the right time to put Shackle since there is other things I want to spend my GCDs on like shield, dots, CC, fade), also if for some reason he ****ed up and I am winning he eats his pet and gets tons of HP.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on how the fight should be played from shadow priests perspective in order to win or just have a close fight.

4. May 11, 2016  
    Biggest counter is prot paly against warr or rog.
    Its just absolute impossible to beat a prot paly with a class that deals only melee dmg.

5. May 11, 2016  
    The only Priest i've lost to on my death knight used glyph of shackle undead; that forced me to strangulate as soon as my garg came up. As of new gargoyle's HP, you can't DP spam it to death like you did before. You will probably be able to win bad dks, or average ones at best. Death strike spam can literally keep them at full all the time. Abolish disease at the beginning since unholy blight is pretty easy to get from death coils. It's close to impossible to live through IBF/AMS/AMZ/Gargoyle/Strang/Gnaw/Death Grip, while being dotted and slowed forever. If you do manage to somehow live til the third fear, and are not oom yet, you can use that time to heal up and dot then go offensive, but it'll still be hard

6. May 11, 2016  
    I am playing shadow priest in this case and I found this matchup impossible to win, unless DK is AFK. I get all this concept to dot him up and try to kite, but I am not able to put it in practice. It feels that DK can almost perma slow you (yes I use fade, but I think he can slow you again if he has rune or something?), use anti-magic shell to put pressure on you from the start ( during this time I have no idea what to do, should I disperse it?), he wont let me to get VT on him, even if I get some range he grips me, he can remove my fear using his undead buff thingy and his pets are always dealing dmg (I dont find the right time to put Shackle since there is other things I want to spend my GCDs on like shield, dots, CC, fade), also if for some reason he ****ed up and I am winning he eats his pet and gets tons of HP.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on how the fight should be played from shadow priests perspective in order to win or just have a close fight.
    I'll give you my extensive input about DK vs SPriest so forgive me for the wall of text

I highly doubt you will ever win a really good dk without LoS, and we both know that it's kind of gay to do it unless you're in arena or something; but in duels its respectful courtesy to not Line of sight and eat.

The general tactic is to outlive them so that you can fear them when they have no trinket and Lichborne, whilst slowly killing them with your dots.

However, bad dks and average ones are much more manageable. I strongly recommend glyph of shackle undead as one of your primary glyphs because it makes that shackle lightning fast. Unless they're interrupt hacking they will almost never be able to interrupt a 0.3 second cast but instead you might even force them to use strangulate.

I'm sure that the DKs you fight seem to pop everything at the start and you're just not able to tank it. These are average DKs. What I usually do against these DKs on my priest is get off a fear on my FIRST global cooldown to force them to either trinket or lichborne. Now, Lichborne turns them into unholy so that means you can shackle them. Against a bad or average DK you'll get this off quite easily until they learn to /cancelaura lichborne. If you do manage to catch them in a shackle, congratulations that's probably a free vampiric touch.

After that, you should disarm early to avoid plague strike (one of Unholy's key diseases will be negated for the time being), and start to apply more dots. You really have to kite like mad because once they stick to you, it's difficult to get away even if you fade. They will desecration on every scourge/plague strike so that's why I like to disarm early so that all I need to worry about is chains of ice, which I always dispel magic if there's no desecration. I tend to use silence when I feel like he's going to grip me or use it to try to ensure Vampiric touch in case they use anti magic shell or attempt to mind freeze. I usually do this after horror ends so that they won't chain spam. Once you get full dots they'll probably pop AMS and use the runic power to pop garg on you; that's where it gets tricky.

Now if you really want to get fancy, try to mind control them during silence (lichborne also negates this so if they trinket first fear and lichborne this congratulations, you just made it so much easier to fear them without cds)

Try not to shadowfiend on Anti magic shell as this will feed them Runic power. Don't be afraid to spam DP once they get low either; the point is to win, right?

Have a look at their runic power bar; each coil costs 40 so if you see a big blue bar, expect some coil burst coming your way.

You can even let them interrupt your shadow tree if you know they don't have strangulate to finish you off. Spam heals if they do.

Be careful not to dispersion too early, because a strangulate when you get out is really gonna mess your day up. Try to hold onto it for as long as possible but not too long that you're going to die when you get out.

Despite all this, a good dk will cancel their lichborne and save ghoul stun for the most important things which makes it close to impossible to burst and outlive them.
    Edited: May 11, 2016

7. May 12, 2016  
    Against a good DK you have to fake out their interrupt. But once you get it you're free casting. You need to force their defensive CDS ASAP because this will be a long duel. Fear as soon as humanly possible to get lichborn out of the way.

I don't think it's worth glyphing shackle undead JUST for dueling DKs. It's much better to simply CC+Shackle or silence+shackle when he pulls out his gargoyle. Sometimes this isn't possible and in that case I think it's fair to LoS. You should never really try casting with a DK on you unless you know it's safe to do so. Attempting to shackle while DK can still interrupt will really screw you if Gargoyle is up.

If you can survive gargoyle then the DK loses their kill pressure entirely and it becomes a battle of attrition. Can you kill the DK before you run OOM? Between the constant refreshing of PW:S, Abolish Disease, PoM, Renew and your dots mana will become a real issue. You will also need to refresh Inner Fire about once so handy to keep it on spell alerter because between the DK and pet the stacks will drop fast.

If DK uses his AMS preemptively it has to be punished. Sometimes if they have too much pressure I'll deliberately allow them to interrupt shadow to get a couple of flash heals into a non-interruptable VT.

8. May 12, 2016  
    An elemental shaman can't do anything versus a feral.

9. May 12, 2016  
    Hunters against a shadow priest is one too.

10. May 12, 2016  

using buble of true blood and skeleton trinket is the only chance to defeat any decent dk, however win:lose ration will be like 99:1 in dk favors ofc

11. May 12, 2016  
    Hunters against a shadow priest is one too.

For the most part, yes you'll be able to destroy 99% of hunters. However, assuming that the Hunter knows what they're doing in the open I don't think Hunter vs Priest is an absolute counter. They'll give you a run for your money or not let you win as consistently as a counter would. I'd like to kindly ask you for some friendly duels, wherever you play (hopefully ragnaros but we can duel after the merge too if you're on deathwing). Blackrock also works too.
    Edited: May 12, 2016

12. May 12, 2016  
    An elemental shaman can't do anything versus a feral.
    lol dude, its completely opposite. Idk with what gear you were dueling, but equally endgame geared ele can beat feral with no problems, ele can just outheal ferals damage and throw some lava bursts, shocks and chain lightning and eventually beat feral. Healing is the key in this fight. 1 item is just essential for ele shaman, its that trinket from blood queen I think, which gives mana regen and heal for 8k. In most duels damage trinkets are not essential, I have seen many good duelers, playing many classes and using this healing trinket, skeleton trinket(absorb) or resistance trinket(from sindragosa I think).

13. May 12, 2016  
    Is there a class without a counter? Maybe DK?

14. May 13, 2016  
    pala is pretty hard for dk

15. May 13, 2016  
    Is there a class without a counter? Maybe DK?
    I dont think there are a hard counters for DKs, but I have seen that good Frost Mages and Hunters beat good DKs more than they lose.
    Ret pala shouldnt be a problem, even if pala have turn evil glyph and spam turn evil. DK can just out heal with deathstrikes and eventually (most likely with second gargoyle beat paladin), it will be freaking long fight.
    Idk what else is big problem for DKs. Definitely one of the best duelers, but I think good Frost Mages are the best duelers (only 1 hard counter - hunter).

123 Last