1. Stop using Skada, it's too buggy and unreliable

i was doing naxx and people kept linking skada and recount and ppl started arguing for which is better. i noticed all skada meters were different, but recounts were all the same. this got me thinking which is wrong/better, but the fact that all the skada meters were different pretty much should've made me realize that skada is wrong, but i did some tests anyway.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2oHaDlOZ2I

test 1: skada delays recording for 14 sec
    test 2: 9 sec delay
    test 3: 0 delay
    test 4: 2 sec delay
    test 5: 0 delay
    test 6: 0 delay
    test 7: 30 sec delay.... wow

meanwhile recount records ontime everytime, and damage done is always correct.

the main problem is that skada sometimes doesnt record for the first few seconds of combat, maybe the first few seconds of attacking anything. this may not seem like a big deal, but it undermines classes that have big cd's that are popped right from the start which are most DPS classes, and if skada has these things bugged, then who knows what else is bugged.

main problem with recount is that it doesnt normalize your DPS values, but neither does skada. idk how they determine your DPS, but it's not your DPS throughout the fight, it's from the last few seconds i think, and the calculation for this dps is different on both addons. either way, the DPS number doesnt matter, only the damage done matters.

another problem with recount is that it doesnt show absorbs, but who rly cares about healing anyway. if ppl are dying you have a bigger problem than healing meters, and recount shows who healed who anyway.

tl;dr - stop using skada, it's too buggy

btw this is only for the 3.3.5 version. idk about other versions for other expansions

2. So basically a poorly reviewed, unresearched text should convince people to use another AddOn?

First off all, those damage meters are only quite accurate for the user himself.
    BUT only if the CombatLog it relies on is functional (which it isn't in 3.3.5 > CombatLogFix !)

There are many factors that add into the metering:
    • buggy CombatLog (see above)
    • CombatLog range
    • measuring type (raw or effective)
    • lag / latency

The HUGE problem with your testing is that Recount only has a combat trigger and creates segments for every f*ing critter you attack.
    Skada uses a timer trigger to check if it's an acutal fight or just some 'messing around'.
    It requires 5 valid CLEU triggers in 1 sec to start a new segment.

If you change line 1762 in Skada.lua from
    Code:
    if tentative == 5 then
    to
    Code:
    if tentative == 1 then
    they work exactly the same.

TL,DR:
    Understand how the AddOns work, then complain about 'bugs' ...
    Edited: June 14, 2016

3. Lmao Skada is trash it's only use is collecting data on dpriest absorbs so they can show their e-peen which are unaffected by over healing, so they are fail safe and noob proof.

4. So basically a poorly reviewed, unresearched text should convince people to use another AddOn?

First off all, those damage meters are only quite accurate for the user himself.
    BUT only if the CombatLog it relies on is functional (which it isn't in 3.3.5 > CombatLogFix !)

There are many factors that add into the metering:
    • buggy CombatLog (see above)
    • CombatLog range
    • measuring type (raw or effective)
    • lag / latency

The HUGE problem with your testing is that Recount only has a combat trigger and creates segments for every f*ing critter you attack.
    Skada uses a timer trigger to check if it's an acutal fight or just some 'messing around'.
    It requires 5 valid CLEU triggers in 1 sec to start a new segment.

TL,DR:
    Understand how the AddOns work, then complain about 'bugs' ...
    so basically you want to fix the game instead of just avoiding using a poorly otpimized addon? ok bro...
    honestly i dont get what the big deal is. my post obviously shows that by default skada is just inaccurate and buggy. i see no argument from you, just reasons it could be, but literally every single test showed that recount was on point but skada was constantly delayed, and delayed at various increments. not only that but when you go into a raid and ask for meters, you'll see that everyones skada is different.

good luck convincing everyone to "fix" their game instead of just using recount, assuming the mumbojumbo you said is correct and the game is wrong and not skada, which i doubt.

5. You can just use both. I usually use Recount for the damage, deaths and interrupts and Skada for everything else. Skada has a huge advantage when talking about healing (healing & absorbs with HPS) and has some other nice things like "Enemy Damage Taken" which can be pretty useful.

Both addons have their flaws, just combine them and everything will be fine.

6. so basically you want to fix the game instead of just avoiding using a poorly otpimized addon? ok bro...
    I never said that.
    I said that's how it is designed.

And your test is flawed.

my post obviously shows that by default skada is just inaccurate and buggy.
    It doesn't show anything apart from the fact that you don't understand Skada's combat trigger system ...

i see no argument from you, just reasons it could be
    Because you don't know how other people got their data and if and what kind of CombatLogFix they're using.
    Also, triggering.

skada was constantly delayed, and delayed at various increments
    I told you the reason for that...

good luck convincing everyone to "fix" their game instead of just using recount, assuming the mumbojumbo you said is correct and the game is wrong and not skada, which i doubt.
    That sentence is total bull****.

You don't even take a look at the technical side of your problem and now you try to mock me?

You show absolutely no knowledge about the technical side and you fail to understand what I wrote.

You lost that argument big time.

7. I never said that.
    I said that's how it is designed.

And your test is flawed.

It doesn't show anything apart from the fact that you don't understand Skada's combat trigger system ...

Because you don't know how other people got their data and if and and what kind of CombatLogFix they're using.
    Also, triggering.

I told you the reason for that...

That sentence is total bull****.

You don't even take a look at the technical side of your problem and now you try to mock me?

You show absolutely no knowledge about the technical side and you fail to understand what I wrote.

You lost that argument big time.
    so basically now you want to keep everything a secret. if everythings flawed, show some proof. a vid, links, SOMETHING. you just sound like you're in denial

if you can show me a video of skada calculating enemy damage taken properly over 7 tests just like i did, ill delete this thread

8. good luck convincing everyone to "fix" their game instead of just using recount
    The problem is that skada is just a mandatory addon for every healer because it shows absorbs.
    U can not know how well ur disc priest performs or how beneficial ur legendary mace is when u dont see the absorbs in the statistic.

9. You can just use both. I usually use Recount for the damage, deaths and interrupts and Skada for everything else. Skada has a huge advantage when talking about healing (healing & absorbs with HPS) and has some other nice things like "Enemy Damage Taken" which can be pretty useful.

Both addons have their flaws, just combine them and everything will be fine.
    well first of all theres a way to calculate enemy damage taken on recount, and that's the point of this thread. skada is inconsistent and never calculates damage consistently.
    second, there's no problem with using skada for absorption, but the point of this thread was to show how skada's damage meters dont calculate properly. if you rly want to show your absorption/healing then skada isthe only way, but recount is just way better in every other way because it's consistent unlike skada

10. so basically now you want to keep everything a secret. if everythings flawed, show some proof. a vid, links, SOMETHING. you just sound like you're in denial

if you can show me a video of skada calculating enemy damage taken properly over 7 tests just like i did, ill delete this thread
    I showed you how to get rid of the 'delay'.

You can do it yourself quite simple.

I tested it ingame, looked at the code and found the reason for the delay.
    You only complained about the outcome.

How it works (AVI video):
    damage done (37.9 MB)
    enemy damage taken (25 MB)

11. I showed you how to get rid of the 'delay'.

You can do it yourself quite simple.

I tested it ingame, looked at the code and found the reason for the delay.
    You only complained about the outcome.
    my skada.lua only goes up to 1287 lines. ctrl+f for that line of code didnt even bring up anything.
    anything else?
    nice try tho
    if what you say is correc,t there's no reason for skada to put it up by default because it makes damage numbers inconsistent af.
    also there's a reason why skada meters are always different from each other.

also why would i put the time to edit skada and make sure that everyone the links skada meters has corrected this dumb design decision (if it's a design decision and not a bug) instead of just using recount?

12. How it works: AVI video (37.9 MB)
    i showed you enemy damage taken. not damage done. my tests for damage done were both the same during raids. for enemy damage taken it was different.

13. my skada.lua only goes up to 1287 lines. ctrl+f for that line of code didnt even bring up anything.
    I'm using Skada r301.

Even the latest release WotLK version of Skada has 2204 lines (Skada 1.2-27).

What version are you using ???

if what you say is correc,t there's no reason for skada to put it up by default because it makes damage numbers inconsistent af.
    also there's a reason why skada meters are always different from each other.
    Sure, if all clients' variables were negated, it would be 100%.
    But that's not how it works.

Recount uses a synchrnization between clients to flat out variables.
    (which eats your bandwidth alive and can cause latency and fps problems for players in your group with bad pc and bandwidth)
    ((which is why Blizzard introduced the need to register AddOn messages with the server in Cataclysm))

You don't seem to get the concept ...

14. ok now it works but you rly expect ppl to go into their code files to change something to make skada work? hope thats a joke
    either way im gonna make sure that ppl know that by default skada is very ****ty compared to recount

15. ok now it works but you rly expect ppl to go into their code files to change something to make skada work? hope thats a joke
    either way im gonna make sure that ppl know that by default skada is very ****ty compared to recount
    You realize that the 5 CLEU events Skada requires to trigger the combat start are cached?

The data collected until the trigger number is reached is only discarded if the timer kicks in.
    (mod.func in line 1757 is always called if a CLE triggeres)

Although the timer is only 1 second not the commented 3 seconds.

Regarding the difference in various clients data, I already explained those.
    And you can't get rid of them 100%.

Recount does quite a lot of useless data processing, imo.

This wouldn't be a problem at all if people would use those AddOns correctly.

12 Last