1. [hardware] The ultimate budget multiboxing pc

So,
    I want to build a fairly cheap dual xeon pc to comfortably multibox 30-40 characters at in game lowest settings but with Full HD resolution.

The pc would consist out of the following parts:
    CPU: 2x E5 2670 (8 cores per cpu, so 16core 32 threads @2.6ghz baseclock 3.3ghz turboclock)
    Motherboard: ASRock Rack EP2C602
    RAM: 32GB
    GPU: GTX 970
    PSU: Not sure yet
    And an SSD for storage

I already have a pc on which I can multibox 15 chars comfortably, pushing it with 20 to the limit.
    Specs:
    CPU: I73930k
    GPU: GTX 970
    Motherboard: Asus p9 x79
    RAM: 24GB RAM

Because I already have some parts, the new pc would cost me
    CPU: 2x70$+10$ shipping =150$
    Mobo: 310€
    RAM: 8GB -> 40€

So around 500€ excluding the PSU (not sure if I need a new one)
    I think that I can sell my old CPU and motherboard for around 200-300€ so the total cost would only be 200-300€ but I'm not sure yet if I will do that.

The reason I made this thread is because I wonder how many characters you think I can play with this system. Reason being is that I might want to go from 30 to a 40 multiboxing team (hence why I'm not sure yet if I will sell my old CPU and motherboard).
    I'm also wondering if I need a better graphics card, the GTX970 has never been a bottleneck in my current system with 20 characters. Do you think that it will be in big fights?
    And overall, what do you think of this?

2. Not knowing your full current build - enter your parts into pcpartpicker (or similar websites) and it'll give you a rough idea what kinda psu you'll need.

3. Not knowing your full current build - enter your parts into pcpartpicker (or similar websites) and it'll give you a rough idea what kinda psu you'll need.
    No need already found out that I need one and I know which one I will buy.
    It will add another 100 euro to the build.

4. Necroing this thread as I just bought 2x e5 2680 for 100euro ea.
    I'm hoping on 40 chars, but counting on 30 at least on this pc. Still need to buy the rest though.
    Edited: June 11, 2017

5. How much will a dual soc mobo cost you for these cpu's?

I would rather buy myself a new AMD flagship with a gorillion cores. :)

6. How much will a dual soc mobo cost you for these cpu's?

I would rather buy myself a new AMD flagship with a gorillion cores. :)
    New around 320 euro's. But I'm gonna try to get some sweet deal on a workstation case with everything but a gpu and cpu's. In total I was thinking of spending around 900-1k. Workstation case for these xeons would also be better since it will have eec ram and 16 slots for it. Eec ram is cheap af, so maybe i'll put 128gb of it in my system. But other than that it also has a more reliable psu and cooling.

I don't rlly see those AMD threadrippers going lower than 500 euro's, as the 1800x already costs that much, but who knows.

7. This should run 20-25 Wotlk clients:
    Asus PRIME X370-PRO + AMD RYZEN 7 1700 is around 420€ atm, Oc to 3,8Ghz+
    32GB DDR4-3000 270€
    Cooler and case 150€
    Power supply 100€
    GTX 1060 6Gb 270€
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD 90€
    total around 1300€
    extra 16GB 130€ and you could run WOW in RAM Disk.

I did find 32Gb DDR3 1333MHz EEC for 75€, so cheap. :) you could use RAM Disk.
    Edited: June 11, 2017

8. Running the load spread between more then one PC is an option as well. Using LAN to multi box them might work out cheaper but I guess you want one monster PC?

9. Running the load spread between more then one PC is an option as well. Using LAN to multi box them might work out cheaper but I guess you want one monster PC?
    I'll still have my old pc, which I use to box 16 chars. So yes of course it's an option and I'll try out. But for 40 boxing I would need to add another 24 clients and if you look at the example in the post above you, that's still 300 euro more expensive than what I'm currently building. In addition to that, this will most likely run more than 24 chars.
    If I only go for 30 chars and this new pc will be able to handle it, I'll be able to sell my old system (excluding some parts), which will make this workstation method even cheaper. Therefore I decided to go with these xeons cpu's.

10. I want to build 2x2670 v1 before, but X99 (not bad one for xeons - ASROCK X99 Gaming i7) + 2683 v3 with unlocked boost and 105 bclk freq. perform a bit better, + in future u can add another one and buy C612 motherboard.
    As for me, I'm waiting for 16+ cores AMD CPU's.

11. Just tested one of the cpu's. Handles about as much wows(16) as my old i7 3930k, but somehow the turbo didn't go all the way up and was stuck at 3.2 ghz. But this means that I'll easily be able to 30 box with this pc alone :D

Cinebench score was 968, but this is with 3.2ghz throttle and not full 3.6ghz. I'll solve this in the following days.

Edit:
    I am going to complete this system with the following:
    500 Euro for Case, PSU (1500watt), Mobo and cooling. It's an HP Z820 workstation case with everything but cpu's, gpu and ram.
    60 Euro for 32gb EEC 1333mhz RAM
    20 Euro for 2TB HDD
    10 Euro for SSD Bracket (needed for this case)

Meaning that so far I have spend 790 Euro on a pc being able to handle at least 30 wow's. For now I'll just use my old gtx970 and put a very old radeon 5880 in my old pc (I used to run 10 wows on this and gpu was the bottleneck). If I will keep using my old pc, I'll buy another gtx970 second hand, prob for around 150-200 euro.
    Edited: June 13, 2017

12. Just tested one of the cpu's. Handles about as much wows(16) as my old i7 3930k, but somehow the turbo didn't go all the way up and was stuck at 3.2 ghz. But this means that I'll easily be able to 30 box with this pc alone :D

Cinebench score was 968, but this is with 3.2ghz throttle and not full 3.6ghz. I'll solve this in the following days.

Edit:
    I am going to complete this system with the following:
    500 Euro for Case, PSU (1500watt), Mobo and cooling. It's an HP Z820 workstation case with everything but cpu's, gpu and ram.
    60 Euro for 32gb EEC 1333mhz RAM
    20 Euro for 2TB HDD
    10 Euro for SSD Bracket (needed for this case)

Meaning that so far I have spend 790 Euro on a pc being able to handle at least 30 wow's. For now I'll just use my old gtx970 and put a very old radeon 5880 in my old pc (I used to run 10 wows on this and gpu was the bottleneck). If I will keep using my old pc, I'll buy another gtx970 second hand, prob for around 150-200 euro.
    1500wat, why? That I7 machine for example uses less than 400w at peak.
    20E for 2TB? You meant 50(at least)?

13. 1500wat, why? That I7 machine for example uses less than 400w at peak.
    20E for 2TB? You meant 50(at least)?
    First of all, the available PSU here with 2 cpu connectors are all 750watt+
    The 1500watt psu comes with the server case, I'm buying the case, mobo, psu and cooling in one deal for 500 Euro. Ram comes from the same seller.
    I would pay about the same price if I were to buy this in individual components and only the things that I need (meaning a 750watt psu).

The 2TB HDD is a refurbished server HDD.

These component are all refurbished server/workstation parts, that's why they are so cheap. And it doesn't really matter that they are refurbished, these products are build to last for a very long time and are more stable than your average consumer components. In addition to that, this stuff hasn't been handled by some ******.

Just ran another cinebench: http://prntscr.com/fjf2cx

14. Just got the rest :D

http://imgur.com/a/PZZGD

So I spend a total of 790 Euro for a 16 core, 32gb ram pc.
    Edited: June 25, 2017

12 Last