1. @Lynea Does Death Strike heal additionally because there is an extra disease on the target? Also does the % healed increase because disease dmg increased?

2. @Lynea Does Death Strike heal additionally because there is an extra disease on the target? Also does the % healed increase because disease dmg increased?
    Yes, it heals for 15% of your hp since 3 diseases.

Disease dmg doesnt improve your healing.

3. @Lynea Does Death Strike heal additionally because there is an extra disease on the target? Also does the % healed increase because disease dmg increased?
    Yes, Death Strike will heal you for 5% per disease. Which means with both of your standard diseases applied, you will be healed for 15% of your health.
    Sitting at 43.3k health (no buffs), my Death Strike heals me for 6504 with all 3 diseases. 4336 with 2 diseases (evident that this is 10% of 43.3k), and 6504 is exactly 50% higher than 4336.

It's effectively a 50% increase in healing to the standard 2-disease Death Strike heal. Which is equivalent to the 50% heal increase in the Blood talents.

Edit: jendah ninja posted me. Thanks for being helpful, jendah.
    Edited: August 19, 2016

4. @Lynea Is Unholy superior tank spec for RS then? Does Anti Magic Shell absorb breaths?
    Imho, the best way to approach this question would be to ask yourself what rekts you as a tank in RS (assuming your raid knows how to balance corporeality, otherwise it has no business being in RS 25hc):

- Unexpected burst of melee damage via being parry-hasted by the boss.

This is damage that can't be anticipated, only reacted immediately to. Rune Tap here is simply the best possible answer you could have for it. Pop it the moment you see you're parried, and unless you're very under-geared (or your healers simply did a bad job keeping you topped up before each melee hit), that 20% extra health will have pushed you out of the health threshold where two almost back-to-back melee hits would have gibbed you.

- Sheer force of overwhelming melee damage.

This can happen when you're outside tanking both the Living Inferno and Halion himself, or when your dedicated tank healer has to go move to drop his debuff or for the cutters, being that Halion is a notoriously hard tank-hitter. Bone Shield's 20% damage reduction is somewhat better than the 15% maximum health granted by Vampiric Blood, but Vampiric Blood also has an extremely useful secondary effect that also massive buffs any heals you receive by almost the same amount that Guardian Spirit does.

- Combination of instant Breath + Melee hit.

This is a bug because the next melee after his breath should be delayed by an amount equal to his swing timer. This doesn't happen right now, so you basically receive a massive chunk of damage every time he casts his breath. This is where Unholy's superior magic damage mitigation shines. Your AMS is stronger, AMZ is basically also straight up another personal cooldown for your own use that Blood has no equivalent to, and the 6% flat damage reduction from every breath via Magic Suppression is also a welcome perk that reduces a fair amount of damage from every Breath+Melee combo. Blood has spell deflection which should work on breaths, and while it's nice when it procs, it's not reliable.

In conclusion, Halion 25hc is an encounter that stresses an unforgiving amount of tank damage, and while Unholy can certainly be applied well to great results, Blood DK's by far are better suited to the job, due to simply higher EHP, very welcome cushioning via Will of the Necropolis, which can also be regarded as a EHP increase (i.e. the actual worth of that last 35% of your health is higher), and a broader and more powerful tool-set to work with in the way of reactionary self-healing, which is crucial for not dying to being parry-hasted.

5. @DarkenedHue Well i haven't tanked RS with DK yet. My dk is a lowbie frost tank atm. Since the mitigation gear is similar i plan to make Unholy tank OS. I just needed to know that Unholy is good for RS. I'll figure out my playstyle and ask more questions later.

6. Hey thanks for the input DarkenedHue.

Fixed up some links in the guide. Added gems section.

I'm thinking I'll add a section for specifics on certain (important) bosses. I expect it could be useful for those who swap between Unholy and another tank spec, or swap out item sets (EHP, resistance, avoidance, etc.), or those that are just interested in the perks of being Unholy on those certain encounters.

I will also probably add a "current bugs" section that outlines the bugs with the spec, and bugs with encounters that adversely affect the spec.

If you guys can think of anything useful that could be added to the guide, feel free to PM me or drop a message here on the guide.

Thanks!
    Edited: August 20, 2016

7. There's something that i wanted to ask... since ToGC (25man) is kind of bugged right now and can't tank them easily with pala or any other class is it possible to tank them with Uh due to high DoT dmg? if someone has tested that i would be happy to know about results

8. Bumping this, since it seems relevant to particular people who want to argue semantics in other unrelated threads.

9. http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#j0Ez...ZMxrIz0bxfuz0k
    Something like this is what i had in mind when it comee to Unholy DK Tank. Solid aoe threat (a lot more than Blood DK). Solid tank. U get a bit more defencives like this for the cost of Ebon Plaguebringer.
    Last 3 talents or other in UH tree can be put elsewhere. Point was to get 3/3 VotTW and Bone Shield + 3rd Disease for 5% extra Healing on DS.

10. Yeah, you mentioned the spec in your guide's discussion. I'm not particularly fond of Spell Deflection since it is RNG (this is purely my preference). It's not a bad talent if you're willing to roll the dice. I also don't like to use Corpse Explosion, since that requires me to sacrifice the Ghoul in order to use it. So unless I need the threat right after using Death Pact, I don't feel it would see much use. Other than those choices, I think it's a pretty good Unholy-VotTW spec. The last points I would probably throw at Epidemic, which I like to do so I can try and squeeze out more Death Strikes. I also like to grab at least one point in Improved Unholy Presence so I can go for a full stamina enchant on boots.

I added such a build to the end of the guide. See if you approve of it. Provide critique if you have any Gnimo. Thanks. :)

11. Just wanted to throw out there : Thank you for writing this all up. Been playing an UH Tank / Dps since WotlK was live, through on to Molten, and now here on Warmane (Icecrown). Glad to see someone deconstruct it and explain it in depth like this. UH gets a bad rap, but it's such a fun (and capable) 5-man, heroic, and raid tank.

Hope to see more of you out there!

12. Yeah, you mentioned the spec in your guide's discussion. I'm not particularly fond of Spell Deflection since it is RNG (this is purely my preference). It's not a bad talent if you're willing to roll the dice. I also don't like to use Corpse Explosion, since that requires me to sacrifice the Ghoul in order to use it. So unless I need the threat right after using Death Pact, I don't feel it would see much use. Other than those choices, I think it's a pretty good Unholy-VotTW spec. The last points I would probably throw at Epidemic, which I like to do so I can try and squeeze out more Death Strikes. I also like to grab at least one point in Improved Unholy Presence so I can go for a full stamina enchant on boots.

I added such a build to the end of the guide. See if you approve of it. Provide critique if you have any Gnimo. Thanks. :)
    Actually Corpse Explosion doesn't target your pet by default at all, you need a macro to do that (mostly a pvp thing).

13. Yes. Though, unless I am missing something, Corpse Explosion having a corpse to use isn't something that's going to happen too often during a boss encounter outside of using a ghoul, yes?
    Could always sacrifice a friend. hehe

14. May 2, 2017  
    Hi, I'm glad to see another UH tank lover !

I might post some suggestions later when the Lordaeron servers are back up (can't connect now) concerning spec and glyph choices.

Atm I just wanna ask : Why not consider 1handers tanking weapons as decent UH tanking weapons ? And on a more general note : Why not on every DK ?
    A lot of DK threat comes from Runic Strike and IT, IT does'nt get much changed as the strength from 2h or 2*1h is the same and RS is added on white swings and is modified by weapon speed.
    I feel like crit, arpen and haste are kinda wasted on a tank.

15. May 3, 2017  
    Hi, I'm glad to see another UH tank lover !
    Atm I just wanna ask : Why not consider 1handers tanking weapons as decent UH tanking weapons ? And on a more general note : Why not on every DK ?
    A lot of DK threat comes from Runic Strike and IT, IT does'nt get much changed as the strength from 2h or 2*1h is the same and RS is added on white swings and is modified by weapon speed.
    I feel like crit, arpen and haste are kinda wasted on a tank.
    The reason it's generally not worth it to use tanking 1handers for unholy/blood is because tanking weapons tend to be very fast and fast weapons have negative synergy with all of you strikes. You will do less threat and as such may have to spam IT more often, which is going to limit your Death Strike healing and for what? A little bit of extra avoidance? Not worth it unless you're dealing with BiS gear and are swimming in threat. Another thing to consider is that you will get parried by the boss more often and as a result will take spikier damage when parry haste is relevant.

There's a particular boss that comes to mind, which is Sindragosa, that not only has parry haste enabled but also has a very special **** you to any dual wielders in the form of a dot that stacks whenever you attack her, thus attacking faster makes you take yet even more damage there than usual.
    Edited: May 3, 2017

First 1234 ... Last