1. It is rolling back from the state the server was in when it crashed to the state of the last autosave. Think of it like an instant replay for a rowdy fan that just blacked-out. The server regularly backs up the data and makes one of those back ups right before you start attacking a mob. You battle the mob, success, it's glorious, but the server crashes (whoops, one too many lagers) before it backs up the data again. When it comes back online, it can't remember your awesome fight with the mob and has to rollback to the last autosave. You kill it again and this time the server stays conscious long enough to commit everything to memory. The single player example works as well, only this time it is a manual save. You are still rolling back to the last time you saved the game.

Not sure what this is a point of contention and hope the server can resolve its issues.
    It's a point of contention simply because people keep using the term erroneously and assuming they are right, like you just did.
    Losing data because of a crash is as much a rollback as losing your account because you don't keep it safe is "being hacked."
    You miss one of the central points of what makes a rollback a rollback: it's something done intentionally. Unless you are claiming we (and any game ever with a save state, by that matter, in this context) crash on purpose, "for reasons"?
    Rollback is a term (even an SQL command) for an operation done with data management; it doesn't equates to anything you can say "is rolling back."

2. We're clearly operating under vastly different understandings of what a rollback entails. If intention is the crucial component for a rollback, it is intentionally rolled back to the last autosave. Crashes occur without intention, nobody is claiming the crash itself is a rollback. Following the crash, however, the server is rolled back to restore the server to its last saved state. This process is intentional and without it the server could not resume functioning. There is nothing inherently negative about a rollback, it is simply the necessary process of restoring the system (in this case the crashed served) to a usable state.

While this may not meet your stringent requirement of a rollback, from a player's perspective, these recent outages have brought minor rollbacks when the server returns. This is not a technical definition from well educated database scholars, but a colloquial term within the player base of the private server community. The pressing issue is not what to call the process of loading saved data to restore the servers after these outages, but the outages themselves. We remain hopeful that the administration will resolve this issue.

3. The pressing issue is not what to call the process of loading saved data to restore the servers after these outages, but the outages themselves. We remain hopeful that the administration will resolve this issue.
    Rest assured that the Administration's efforts to either have our current host solve their issues or find a different one that meets all our necessary requisites isn't contingent to my attempts at being informative. That will continue at the same pace, whether I reply here or not.

We're clearly operating under vastly different understandings of what a rollback entails.
    I wouldn't go as far a say we "operate under vastly different understandings." This is simply a case of correct and incorrect, not of interpretation.

Adding yet another example, using a Windows restore point to go back to a state before you installed a problematic driver is a rollback; restarting your computer after you get a BSoD isn't.

The issue seems to be you're using upside down logic, focusing on the single point in common - the fact they get similar or equal end results - to claim the two are the same. That's akin to stating that intentionally crashing a car into a wall to off yourself and crashing a car into a wall because you tried to avoid running over a child are the same "because both are car crashes." While both might be car crashes, trying to say an attempted suicide and an accident are the same is absurd and completely ignores the context, the motivations and all other factors besides the single point in common.

This is not a technical definition from well educated database scholars, but a colloquial term within the player base of the private server community.
    Quoting myself, "Losing data because of a crash is as much a rollback as losing your account because you don't keep it safe is "being hacked."" But in the end of the day, as is proven again and again, you can't educate the unwilling.

4. All realms are back online and Lordaeron still offline :O

5. we still have loginserver crashes every single day multiple times a day.... #1 reason Raids fail is due to RO after yet another crash

6. Nearly unbearable community and now nearly unplayable game.

I pvp exclusively. Outside of battlegrounds there is steady lag, 500-1kms. I dont care if I lag in a full Dalaran or empty Darnassus or middle of nowhere Silithus but Every. Single. Battleground. On. Icecrown. Or. Blackrock. Is. Instant. 2k. MS.

Going on 2 months now. What in the **** is going on?

7. Nearly unbearable community and now nearly unplayable game.

I pvp exclusively. Outside of battlegrounds there is steady lag, 500-1kms. I dont care if I lag in a full Dalaran or empty Darnassus or middle of nowhere Silithus but Every. Single. Battleground. On. Icecrown. Or. Blackrock. Is. Instant. 2k. MS.

Going on 2 months now. What in the **** is going on?
    Probably it is on your side, I personally havent experienced anything as such

First ... 345