1. Server Info in WoW Client on load-up needs more info

Hi and Aloha,
    I am pretty new, and I searched for this in the forums, nothing popped up so...
    My son told me about this setup/system. He mentioned a couple of servers, but didn't give me any details other than "IceCrown" was the busiest. I didn't want to get on a super-busy server, so I opted for Lordaeron. Little did I know that it is the "hardcore realm", something that is not mentioned in the initial WoW Client server selection setup at first sign in/choosing a server. If I had known that, I would NEVER have joined it. I am barely a lvl 20 (today) and have been attacked twice by Horde players who were well above my level--thought that was pretty CHICKEN-SHYTE. I understand it's PvP, but I assumed I would be able to choose to battle when soloing. As far as I can tell, I don't have that option.

So, it might be a good idea to put that in the WoW Client for people.

2. I am not sure if it technically possible to do so as it will require modification on the client side. ( I am not entirely sure. )

But I definitely do agree that there is no open-note describing what the server is actually about.

On old molten, they put the multiplier next to the server's name on the selection page. (I.E. Lordaeron(x1), Deathwing(x10) etc)

I agree that something has to be done for the new players. (Although you should have looked at reddit or forum more carefully to learn about the realm a little bit before you actually went into it.)

Also, hitting level 20 shouldn't take you so much time on Icecrown anyways! (x3 experience rate)

Hope you enjoy your future adventure.

P.S. It's pretty sweet that you are playing with your son. Unfortunate that you guys are Alliance. I will always kill you and your son in field. (*wink*)

3. I understand it's PvP, but I assumed I would be able to choose to battle when soloing. As far as I can tell, I don't have that option.
    That's how PvP realms work. You can only have PvP turned off in your factions cities and starting zones.

On old molten, they put the multiplier next to the server's name on the selection page. (I.E. Lordaeron(x1), Deathwing(x10) etc)
    I think they removed that because rates were changed multiple times and what was in realms name was not always accurate. To change it they have to change realm names, which resets all players addon settings since client thinks it's a different realm.

Also, hitting level 20 shouldn't take you so much time on Icecrown anyways! (x3 experience rate)
    Experience rate is still x7. Other rates were changed but experience rate remained as it was.

Currently the information you needed seems to be located only on forum in Support & Q/A > Server / Client FAQ. There isn't really a way to add realm rates to realm selection screen without putting it in realm names, which causes problems for players when adding or changing it. But they could add more information about realms or link to it on websites main page.

4. I think they removed that because rates were changed multiple times and what was in realms name was not always accurate. To change it they have to change realm names, which resets all players addon settings since client thinks it's a different realm.

Experience rate is still x7. Other rates were changed but experience rate remained as it was.
    At this point, putting "Icecrown x7" on the realmlist would be misleading. Without having done further research, a person could expect gold, rep, professions and drops to all be x7 when that isn't the case. That by itself is enough for us not to want to put an "x7" tag next to the realm's name on the realmlist.

As for putting more information up-front in the game client, that'd be something great and informative to have, but unless we put it in the "latest news" box (which I'm not even sure how that's done), it would require a custom patch to the game client. Which we won't do.

5. The only way I see this information to be displayed for new players without being a problem for others that already joined would be to put all the rates into MOTD of the realm.