1. How to start in Icecrown

Hi guys,
    It seems I am stuck at the beginning in Icecrown. I started with a warrior and planning to go fully tanking (even while levelling). But currently I can't find gold to get skills, quests for my level requires me to have better gear. Is there anything I am missing?
    Thanks

2. Right after I wrote this, someone gifted me an it

3. what most people do when they start a level 1 on a new server is level to level 5 and then train skinning and herbalism, sell everything on the auction house and before you know it you will have enough gold

4. Dont do the profession stuff, that takes forever. Ask nicely(!) for 50 gold or so to get riding and to buy the skills you need in any city (this takes 5 minutes usually, but only do that if you cant send yourself gold), buy bags and collect all cloth you can get - and sell it on the AH. That is more then enough gold to buy you flying once you get into outland and its also enough to buy you flying in northrend once you get there.

5. indeed, ask nicely in a capital city as a low level for 50 gold, after 2 hours get back here on the forum and tell me the comments you got from all the friendly people :-)

6. Dont do the profession stuff, that takes forever. Ask nicely(!) for 50 gold or so to get riding and to buy the skills you need in any city (this takes 5 minutes usually, but only do that if you cant send yourself gold), buy bags and collect all cloth you can get - and sell it on the AH. That is more then enough gold to buy you flying once you get into outland and its also enough to buy you flying in northrend once you get there.
    don't encourage begging. proff's are the way a new player should be going. actually working for their stuff. not depending on someone else to pay for it.

7. don't encourage begging. proff's are the way a new player should be going. actually working for their stuff. not depending on someone else to pay for it.
    That might be true for a x1 gold realm, but if 1 quest almost gives 50 gold (used to be 100) then that time spend is just so different that i think giving someone new 50 gold is the better way.

And it usually takes 5 minutes tops (well the 2 times i ever tried it, first char on horder and alliance each).

8. Dont do the profession stuff, that takes forever. Ask nicely(!) for 50 gold or so to get riding and to buy the skills you need in any city (this takes 5 minutes usually, but only do that if you cant send yourself gold), buy bags and collect all cloth you can get - and sell it on the AH. That is more then enough gold to buy you flying once you get into outland and its also enough to buy you flying in northrend once you get there.
    So, in other words, you most likely would go outside to the streets beg for gold, instead of working in a job. Exemplary.

Anyway to the OP, yeah get those gathering professions and sell the stuff in AH. As a first char, don't over-level. Anyhow, once you'll reach outland, things will get a lot better.

9. So, in other words, you most likely would go outside to the streets beg for gold, instead of working in a job. Exemplary.

Anyway to the OP, yeah get those gathering professions and sell the stuff in AH. As a first char, don't over-level. Anyhow, once you'll reach outland, things will get a lot better.
    Yeah, lets compare a game where your regularly kill people to real life, that totally makes sense. And of that person that got the 50 gold in turn gives them to a new player he wasnt really begging, it was just a loan.

The time it takes for a new player to earn the gold for skills and riding compared for what it takes a lvl 80 to earn that same gold amount is absurd, the idea that new players should "work for it" is stupid and might have a place on x1 realms but not here. It takes less then a minute to earn the gold for a lvl 80, it can take the lvl 5 char forever.

In the time it takes to to farm enough gold to buy riding as a character that can only walk and only has half his skills and no gear at all you could be level 30 or so already. Its a massive drain of time, while politely asking for 50 gold as a new char doesnt take long at all.

10. That might be true for a x1 gold realm, but if 1 quest almost gives 50 gold (used to be 100) then that time spend is just so different that i think giving someone new 50 gold is the better way.

And it usually takes 5 minutes tops (well the 2 times i ever tried it, first char on horder and alliance each).
    how long it takes the 80 to make the gold isn't the point. the new player shouldn't be relying on someone else to pay for their stuff, regardless of if the realm is 1x/7x/10x/20x etc.

11. I don't give gold to beggars...especially the entitled ones that start spitting at you when you say no, or ignore them. Yes, I've gotten gold as a lowbie, but I never asked for it...and I was grateful for it, and didn't act like a spoilt entitled brat. #ReasonsForMisanthropy

12. Yeah, lets compare a game where your regularly kill people to real life, that totally makes sense. And of that person that got the 50 gold in turn gives them to a new player he wasnt really begging, it was just a loan.

The time it takes for a new player to earn the gold for skills and riding compared for what it takes a lvl 80 to earn that same gold amount is absurd, the idea that new players should "work for it" is stupid and might have a place on x1 realms but not here. It takes less then a minute to earn the gold for a lvl 80, it can take the lvl 5 char forever.

In the time it takes to to farm enough gold to buy riding as a character that can only walk and only has half his skills and no gear at all you could be level 30 or so already. Its a massive drain of time, while politely asking for 50 gold as a new char doesnt take long at all.
    The comparison about game vs real life is not about killing each other, it's a semi-metaphor I used to evaluate your way of thinking. It's about the choice between two paths, work and fight versus be a beggar lazy peon. Simple. I thought you could understand that, but you talk about "killing people to real life", fine, not my problem anyway. I have no clue how much time will take, 5m or 2h, if you'll find a cute merciful guy around and give you cash, good for you, but you'll always be considered a beggar no matter what, and it's clearly not the most correct advice to give to new players. As skudy said, do encourage them to work for their stuff, that would be aces. Also, most players don't like beggars and they most likely add them on ignore list (I've heard lots of stories about that). Is that what you want?
    Not to mention, on your journey from 1-80, you will always spend money for a lot of things, mounts, skills, repairs, possible items you might want to have from AH, and 50 gold is never enough. You will always have to keep collecting more and more so your leveling will be more efficiently (even after 80), so will you go SW and beg gold forever? Professions will always accompany you, and will definitely give you more than what you can imagine, even before 60, I've been there, several times.
    So what if it takes more time? The outcome will be always better.
    Edited: November 23, 2016

13. The comparison about game vs real life is not about killing each other, it's a semi-metaphor I used to evaluate your way of thinking. It's about the choice between two paths, work and fight versus be a beggar lazy peon. Simple. I thought you could understand that, but you talk about "killing people to real life", fine, not my problem anyway. I have no clue how much time will take, 5m or 2h, if you'll find a cute merciful guy around and give you cash, good for you, but you'll always be considered a beggar no matter what, and it's clearly not the most correct advice to give to new players. As skudy said, do encourage them to work for their stuff, that would be aces. Also, most players don't like beggars and they most likely add them on ignore list (I've heard lots of stories about that). Is that what you want?
    Not to mention, on your journey from 1-80, you will always spend money for a lot of things, mounts, skills, repairs, possible items you might want to have from AH, and 50 gold is never enough. You will always have to keep collecting more and more so your leveling will be more efficiently (even after 80), so will you go SW and beg gold forever? Professions will always accompany you, and will definitely give you more than what you can imagine, even before 60, I've been there, several times.
    So what if it takes more time? The outcome will be always better.
    Maybe, just maybe, read before you write.

14. Maybe, just maybe, read before you write.
    Nice answer. Very argumentative.
    You can do the same, you got nothing to lose if you do so. Farewell.

15. how long it takes the 80 to make the gold isn't the point. the new player shouldn't be relying on someone else to pay for their stuff, regardless of if the realm is 1x/7x/10x/20x etc.
    No, the gold income of a character should be in line to what he is spending, woltk was designed in such a way that once you hit 20 you could buy riding and a mount (and you can on lordearon), and that leveling payed for that and for the skills. That isnt true on icecrown, the income for new players is 0. They need money artifically so they can play the game in a reasonable way.

Theres the elitist "work for it" answer to that problem, tell new player to pick up a gathering profession and start competing with lvl 80s that dont have to care about mobs and can move much much faster (due to riding) for limited ressources in the starting zones. While that works it takes a lot of time and its really not in the spirit of a realm that is all about endgame content and not about leveling at all, i.e x7.

Or there is the community answer, the ones that have means to earn gold fast and that have a lot of it share a tiny amount of it with the new players, someone politely asking for a bit of gold in a major city is not something negative, yes, someone who does the whole /spit and insults upon being told no can go F*** themsleves but the ones asking poltiely do deserve the gold, and they usually do get it.

After the initial starting bump the game pays for itself, as said before, once you get riding and enough gold for skills you easily can pay for the other class skills and riding/flying skills just by looting and selling cloth on the AH. You just need that starting help.

I just tested that, made a new char, ran into SW and asked nicely, took under 2 minutes (and yes i have the gold back afterwards).

The idea that its somehow a bad thing for the people with a lot of gold to help out the ones without is just horrible.

123 ... Last