1. What's the best DK tank spec for OT/AOE threat??

Hi guys, so i've been playing DK blood and i kinda suck at AOE Threat, so im going to try 2 other spec Unholy and Frost, What's the best balanced DK tank spec?, or should i stick to Blood?, or maybe its my talent XD?, so please guys recommend what should i do :D

thanks for ready and replying :D
    sorry bad english

2. Blood itself is a good spec and you should be able to tank everything they put to you, ofcourse you need some skill and knowledge of the rotation and a good talent tree, you can always try a blood / frosty hybrid to increase your threat.

Frost is a good tanking spec as well, the best for aoe tanking since you will have a lot of aoe control and critical hits due to talents so it pulls a lot of threat.

Unholy is the worst talent tree for tanking, since its not designed for it, you dont have the right talents to choose as you have in blood and frost.
    Altough a hybrid between 60% blood and 40% unholy is a nice thing for solo tanking, by that i mean alone in raid not as a single tank in a raid group.

DK has plenty of unique specs to choose, but I suggest you stick to frost for OT.

3. What realm and type of content? Heroic dungeons? Raids? And what gear level?
    Assuming you're playing on Lordaeron:

For dungeons - dual-wield frost, with 2 slow 1handers.
    For raids - blood. If you have to tank adds, you can use frost, but it's simply better using a block tank instead.

4. Frost can have amazing snap-threat with Killing Machine + Howling Blast. Unholy has better sustained threat due to Wandering Plague procs, and substantially stronger DnD + Diseases because of the Impurity talent. Unholy also has very easy access to the Morbidity talent that can be inconvenient for other tanks to take, which halves the CD on your DnD, so it becomes a 10 second ability on a 15 sec CD.

All DK's have DnD, diseases, and blood boil, but only Frost and Unholy have notable additions to their AoE arsenal. As Blood, you're mostly left to rely on what ought to be the inherently high threat output of DnD, but that currently isn't the case (https://www.warmane.com/bugtracker/report/37715). Consider investing in the DnD glyph, and make sure to abuse Icy Touch spam as much as possible, even as a multi-target threat tool. If it's something you can plan ahead of time, the Death Rune Mastery talent is great for pre-emptively generating 4x Death Runes via Death Striking so you have 4x back-to-back Icy Touches later. Morbidity from the Unholy tree will make all the difference in the world if it means you'll have DnD every pull rather than every other pull, and other than that there are a handful of Blood Boil enhancing talents if you want to pick those up. And while it's not truly AoE, you might want to pick up Heart Strike too.
    Edited: February 26, 2017

5. At the moment, DK tank has no aoe aggro whatsoever... If u can try to be the Main Tank and leave the AoE aggro for Paladins, Druids, Warriors...

Blood is the WORST spec u can get for aoe threat...
    Frost, can be fine, since u get extra death runes for icy touch spam.

http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#j0E0...VMIk0ubuziocbh for dungeons maybe.
    http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#j0ER...xxVMIk0zbubZzx for raids.

Unholy can find some use in dungeons i guess and easy raids...
    http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#j0vZhxLZcgGct00xfhz0ucV something like this, i dont know...

I would suggest getting: [Sigil of the Frozen Conscience], from Grizzly Hills: Venture Bay.
    It increases the DMG of Icy Touch by 111 so its gona boost ur threat by a lot, and its easy to get, 3 daily quests and ggwp.
    And as DarkenedHue said himself, u can also try and go for Glyph of DnD, and hope for the best.

I doubt anything will help untill DnD threat is fixed, but i guess u can try and make it work. Best of luck. :D

6. Unholy is perfectly capable of tanking, and threat is NOT, I repeat, NOT an issue.

Don't listen to these guys, go look in the guides section for the "Unholy, the God-Tank" tanking guide.

I've been playing an UH Tank for a while here, since the Molten days, and trust me, it works just fine.

Naxx, Uld, ICC, RS, ToC, etc etc etc, it's honestly, in my opinion, the best of the 3 specs for tanking, it's just that it's too complex for most to get competent at, so they resort to either insults or just plain ignorance.

Do yourself a favor and read up on it, and don't listen to people that don't know what they're talking about.

Btw, my DK Tank is Shaithis, on Icecrown (Horde), if you ever want to see it in action, pst me.

7. You talk about incompetence while having a hybrid +10 haste + 15 stam gem as well as gemming parry hybrids and pure dodge/strength gems. Not to mention that you're under your smelee hit cap and without a taunt glyph.

Simply refrain from posting.
    Edited: February 26, 2017

8. ... it's just that it's too complex for most to get competent at, so they resort to either insults or just plain ignorance.

Do yourself a favor and read up on it, and don't listen to people that don't know what they're talking about.
    Watch out, we got a badass over here

9. I've gone back and forth trying some different stuff out, and haven't updated some of my items / gems. You're not addressing the topic, you're attacking the temp gear I'm using.

Try again.

Also, Taunt glyph? Never needed it, honestly. But go ahead, keep ripping on me.

10. I've gone back and forth trying some different stuff out, and haven't updated some of my items / gems. You're not addressing the topic, you're attacking the temp gear I'm using.

Try again.

Also, Taunt glyph? Never needed it, honestly. But go ahead, keep ripping on me.
    I was adressing how you claim the people who've posted above are incompetent while you yourself had some gems which are obviously complete and utter trash for a tank.

I don't need to try anything again.

11. Also, Taunt glyph? Never needed it, honestly. But go ahead, keep ripping on me.
    Anyone who claims they dont need the taunt glyph are either sacrificing way too many stats in their gear for hit, or are an active wiping hazard and shouldn't be allowed into a raid group. If you're a forum troll, sit down, there has been enough of them. If you're just a fool, go educate yourself before trying to do the same to others.

12. Sorry if I came off as an *******, sometimes I fire off a response a bit too quickly, I'm trying to get better with that.

For what it's worth, I haven't had much issue with threat / aggro, and I'd much rather use that glyph spot for something else, and haven't caused wipes due to not glyphing for Taunt.

Could you please take a look at my gear, and make some suggestions for gem changes? I started out experimenting with this spec, and it's really worked well for me and the raids I've been in, honestly.

Please be as specific as you can, i.e. change this gem in that slot to this gem, etc, so I can make the correct changes?

I hope I haven't burned any bridges, and I'll try and be a bit more tempered with how I respond to you or anyone else from now on.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any input from others who understand the mechanics better than me.

I just want to be sure I'm doing the right setup, and be the best tank I can, for how I've got my guy set up.

13. Death Knights as simply a class are wonderful for threat, regardless of spec. Each has it's own weaknesses and strenghtes but eventually it all comes down to specific key talents such as Morbidity.

If you properly set up your character for AoE tanking only then I'd say Frost, although yet again each of our specs can AoE tank properly.
    You can always have certain modifications to improve AoE tanking, such as Glyph of D&D, Icy Reach, Glyph of HB, Unholy Command and much more, of course it all depends on which subspec you go for and why.

14. @Voevoduul
    Arp and haste are entirely threat stats, but their contribution to your threat is so tiny that it can be valued at zero.

Parry < dodge in general and especially for dks for two reasons:
    1. Parry suffers faster diminishing returns compared to dodge.
    2. You gain more parry rating than other tanks since you convert a portion of your strength to parry rating which is then converted to a flat percentage instead of having a +1/2/3/4/5% parry talent. Basically dks got the short end of the stick with this design element.

Gemming pure strength will offer a measly amount of extra avoid via str to parry rating convertion (~0) and is much like arp and haste, primarily a threat stat.

Gemming pure hit is kinda ehhh, since you're trading a significant amount of stamina for an extra 10 hit. Personally I'd advise against doing pure hits and doing hybrids unless really pressed by lack of hit on your character.

Now as far as talents go:
    I'd go for Morbidity and Unholy Command since the former gives a significant AoE threat boost and the latter gives you more taunts over the course of a fight. I'd also probably take Rune Tap over Death Rune Mastery. But these are all my preferences. Generally speaking I don't like deep unholy one bit and since I cba arguing with people about this I won't talk about changing the spec entirely.

P.S. I guess there is technically nothing wrong in gemming threat stats, but in most cases DKs simply don't need it because of their top kek Icy Touch ability.

15. @Voevoduul
    Arp and haste are entirely threat stats, but their contribution to your threat is so tiny that it can be valued at zero.

Parry < dodge in general and especially for dks for two reasons:
    1. Parry suffers faster diminishing returns compared to dodge.
    2. You gain more parry rating than other tanks since you convert a portion of your strength to parry rating which is then converted to a flat percentage instead of having a +1/2/3/4/5% parry talent. Basically dks got the short end of the stick with this design element.

Gemming pure strength will offer a measly amount of extra avoid via str to parry rating convertion (~0) and is much like arp and haste, primarily a threat stat.

Gemming pure hit is kinda ehhh, since you're trading a significant amount of stamina for an extra 10 hit. Personally I'd advise against doing pure hits and doing hybrids unless really pressed by lack of hit on your character.

Now as far as talents go:
    I'd go for Morbidity and Unholy Command since the former gives a significant AoE threat boost and the latter gives you more taunts over the course of a fight. I'd also probably take Rune Tap over Death Rune Mastery. But these are all my preferences. Generally speaking I don't like deep unholy one bit and since I cba arguing with people about this I won't talk about changing the spec entirely.

P.S. I guess there is technically nothing wrong in gemming threat stats, but in most cases DKs simply don't need it because of their top kek Icy Touch ability.
    I actually disagree regarding the Death Rune Mastery part, of course this is also a personal preference of mine but take PvP for an example, Reaping isn't taken for a third Scourge Strike, in some cases it can be used for that but it is not the main reason Death Knights seek that talent.
    It provides you with two extra Death Runes that can be used for literally anything.

Same goes for Death Rune Mastery, even though it only procs off Death Strike it is still valuable, firing a ****load of Icy Touches in a row at random targets you ought to tank is a huge threat burst.
    But yet again it is all a matter of personal preference.

12 Last