1. How do I create an account WITHOUT a gmail account.

I have 4 email accounts, none of them gmail. Wait, I have 5 now. Because I need to have an account just to contact you, and since you only allow people with gmail accounts to register, I had to create one.

Your servers were recommended to me by a friend. Despite your ridiculous scam of ridiculous queue times to encourage people to pay, I was prepared to pay - after all I paid for the game originally and I don;t mind paying now. For both myself and my wife.

But I cannot play without a gmail account. I had a gmail account years ago and it lasted about as long as it took me to realise it was an utter load of rubbish - a few minutes. I have no intention of maintaining a gmail account, even to play this game.

Moreover there is absolutely no reason for you to limit viable email accounts to gmail, so why the hell do you do it?

So. How do I create a proper account using a proper email address?

2. Short answer is you can't.

Long answer:

What you are probably not willing to do is to make GMail your primary email inbox. That is totally fine, I actually have an only inbox for my 6+ emails.
    Use POP3 or IMAP to fetch emails automatically, most providers support this sort of email fetching and you will get them to your mail just as if they had been sent there directly. (that's how you do so with GMail, meaning, other account's to GMail; you may have to check your provider instructions for their specific steps)

On the other hand, if you are not willing to have a personal GMail account (for whatever reason), you cannot have an account here. We did accept other providers in the past, but since most of them tended to be unreliable we had to restrict them.

3. First, thankyou for taking the time to reply.

I don't understand why it matters who the provider is. I really don't. An email address is an email address and if it allows you to communicate with a registered player then what is the problem? If the email provider dies then the registered player should be able to change his registered email address to a new one.

I am a member of many websites - almost certainly more than I can remember. I am over 40 years old - I predate the internet. In all my life I have never ever ever met a website or online service that insisted I use an email address from a specific provider. None of them seem to have a problem with "unreliable" email providers, so why do you?

Are google paying you to insist on this restriction?

Lastly, two points.

1) You need a way to contact you that doesn't involve having to create an email account and post on a forum. If I hadn't already got a friend who is heavily involved on your servers and really enjoying it, with whom I wish to play, I would simply not have bothered.

2) My newly created gmail account is far more "unreliable" than my Yahoo account I have had for over 20 years. I have already forgotten the password. The same is likely to be true for everyone else who creates a throw-away gmail account simply so they can register here.
    Edited: February 2, 2017

4. I don't understand why it matters who the provider is. I really don't. An email address is an email address and if it allows you to communicate with a registered player then what is the problem?
    Some of my accounts had email from a different provider a few years ago. It simply stopped receiving emails from this server. I don't know on which side the problem is but it exists. I contacted email providers support and they claimed nothing had reached their servers.

If the email provider dies then the registered player should be able to change his registered email address to a new one.
    Except if you have 2 step authentication enabled or if you have to reset password and you have not changed your email in time.

1) You need a way to contact you that doesn't involve having to create an email account and post on a forum. If I hadn't already got a friend who is heavily involved on your servers and really enjoying it, with whom I wish to play, I would simply not have bothered.
    There is en email: [email protected]. But it's mostly for account related problems not to discuss intentional limitations.

2) My newly created gmail account is far more "unreliable" than my Yahoo account I have had for over 20 years. I have already forgotten the password. The same is likely to be true for everyone else who creates a throw-away gmail account simply so they can register here.
    That can happen with any account you don't use often. Write down the password or something. Gmail also allows you to add an existing email address and phone number so if you have to reset password later you can use those methods to do it.

5. I don't understand why it matters who the provider is.
    Custom email servers (like [email protected]) sometimes have trouble contacting standard mail services. Instead of checking and setting right parameters for every mail, warmane staff ensured that gmail accepts mail in 100% cases and limited possible mail to it.