1. deleted

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Edited: April 25, 2018

2. Hi Guys, i have a couple of questions if people wouldnt mind giving me their opinions :)

I've joined a new guild that is just starting and planning to progress through wotlk doing all the raids in order and not overgearing everything. Been farming dungeons and getting ilevel 200 gear to start raiding naxx, the gear rules are that nothing can be worn outside of what content would have been available at the time. So im going to be going into naxx with approx 3.3k gs and 24500 unbuffed hp. My avoidance is also obviously pretty low. Currenly i'm using the double buff blood spec as i dont need to do too many dungeons anymore and i cant keep aoe agro on people double my GS anyway, also we dont have an enhance so its to cover the windfury buff for the melee.

However im having a little trouble with blood tanking. As far as i understand things its very good at maximising your EHP which is very important in ICC raiding thanks to WotN + hp % scaling talents/cds. The problem is that with such low stats im not sure its the best tanking spec for doing naxx while under-geared. Currently WotN only kicks in when im down to about 7k hp and vamp only increases by hp by approx 3.7k hp so those deep blood talents feel a bit lackluster compared to their potential later on in wotlk content. I've been reading this thread and others and the consensus seems to be that unholy is okay outside of ICC and can work but because i have such low mitigation it feels like bone shield stacks get burnt though so fast when i was testing it and AMZ while nice isnt really worth by itself going unholy

I've been looking at frost to see if that can work but im not too experienced with wotlk or DKs in general so i've been having trouble thinking of what could be a good spec. I've come up after a fair bit of thought with this spec:

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#j0E...VMIk0zbu0h:wpm

Which has 5 points spare, im not too sure where they should go, probably at least one of the magic mitigation talents although i have no idea which one would be better.

so my question is do experienced tanks/dks think that a frost spec would be viable for tanking in naxx / low gear would i be better off just sticking to the blood spec and it'll get better with gear?

Thanks in advance!
    Edited: April 25, 2018

3. https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#j0E...00buZ0g:pmw0Mz

Mark of blood and lichborne were taken with leftover points which can go anywhere else, both of these are situationally useful, mark of blood will give you decent heealing on fast hitting bosses while lichborne helps with some mechanics, alos allows you to heal yourself with death coil as a last resort.

You can also spend free points on virulence for increase your hit rating or morbidity which will help with aoe tanking due to lower dnd cd.

Epidemic allows you to refresh your diseases every second set of blood runes which allows you to use the death runes you get from blood of the north for icy touches or death strike, while keeping blood runes on cd to maximize blade barrier uptime.

Chill of the grave is w/e, i prefer to put points into it instead of killing machine since killing machine wont proc much with 2h weapon no matter how many points you put into it and bonus runic power allows you to keep rune striking without worrying about not having RP for ams or death pact. Deathchill is KM on demand and reliabiality it much preferred over rng as tank.

Icy reach allows you to get agro on fights with adds with IT, bonus range on chains of ice will also come in handy, you can for example slow down zombies that slip past the tank on gluth.

Guile of gorefind while nice for 50% longer icebound is too far to access + any other major CD has also 12s duration and its generally enough (Shield Wall, Divine Protection)

I didnt take hungering cold due to how it breaks on any instance of dmg taken while also having super short range meaning you'll usually freeeze them right next to your meeles and all that other aoe. If you have a specific fight where you have a use for it then by all means take it, theres 2 free points (lichborn, mark)

Its possible to also get abomination might but I decided not to since pretty much every raid group has MM hunter who will provide it. (enh shamans bring it also)

Glyph of unbreakable armor can be replaced with pretty much anything else - none of them are universally good.
    Frost tank gets worse once you start hitting armor cap with your unbreakable armor, thats when you should switch to blood.
    Edited: April 26, 2018

4. https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#j0E...zbuhZcb:phmM0V

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#j0E...bxcuz0u:poMMV0

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#j0E...xbxVMcz:phi0MV

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#j0E...rr0tc0x:oqhcM0

Any of these specs should work depending on your situation when it comes to both gear and encounter u will be facing.
    Just make sure u follow the tactics and u should be fine.
    I never tanked the content u are facing atm, but i think that the main diference when it comes to which spec to chose will be 2 things:
    Can i survive this?
    Can i hold aggro?
    If u notice aggro problems, go for better aggro talents (DnD spec, one that is looking like a dungeon hero spec).
    If u notice u need higher single target threat, go for frost spec.
    I still think that blood spec with 2 auras will provide u with best overall survival and single target aggro, so for raids i will still suggest that one, but again, i didnt tank that much to know with 100% exact certanty that im right.
    Test most of them and get which one worked the best.

P.S. i think that both Mark of Blood and Lichbourne have no use in PvE when it comes to both tanking and dpsing, so dont spec into it.
    #nubvael

5. Thanks for the helpful comments and advice guys! I'll be testing a variety of specs over the next few weeks and i'll let you know how it goes

6. May 8, 2018  
    @ShruggyZebra Well, if you think about raiding ICC then blood will probably be a spec reserved at that stage. The way I see it is if you will tank in blood spec at the end of gearing stage what can you pick now ? I understand that you are wondering about survivability but if you die someone in the raid didn't do what they were supposed to. Naxx is easy, just more punishing in my opinion. I was raiding it with Frost spec because I absolutely love it for tanking. Try them out and pick the gameplay you like. By the way, what's the name of the guild ?

7. May 12, 2018  
    Yes Naxx is indeed easy but stuff like OS 2D is not quite so easy when you dont have naxx on farm for months :D

I've sort of settled on blood for now as its fairly easy and straightforward although i have made a sort of unholy hybrid for off tanking and AOE threat which works quite nicely for picking up whelps etc

Also our guild is explained here:

http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=383896

Please feel free to check us out!

8. May 12, 2018  
    Originally Posted by ShruggyZebra
    Currently WotN only kicks in when im down to about 7k hp
    This isnt true by the way. WotN splits the dmg that takes you below 35% hp and reduces it
    Like this:
    If you have 100k hp and you take a 100k dmg hit, you will first take 65k dmg and the remaining 35k will be reduced by 15% wich would be 29750 dmg

In the end, if you have 100k HP and a boss swings 100k dmg at you, you will only take 94,750 dmg. Works the same for paladins argent defender (minus the healing ofc)

9. May 26, 2018  
    I can see specs on http://talentcalc.deffender.eu web. 403 Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /domains/talentcalc.deffender.eu/deathknight.php on this server.

Links not work for me.
    Edited: May 26, 2018

10. May 26, 2018  
    First comment, below the guide, alternate talent links?

11. May 26, 2018  
    First comment, below the guide, alternate talent links?
    Oh, thx. I did not get there yet. Can you fix the link in the first post?

12. May 26, 2018  
    Dude, i cant see the specs, is that normal' can ypou fix it

13. May 31, 2018  
    Gnimo just wanted to thank u for the amazing guides.! I have a question tou... is Spell deflection a worthy talent for blood tank? Cos i see it in any talents choice for blood i dont really know if is THAT useful being SO RNG as it seems.

14. June 2, 2018  
    are blood spec links working ? they dont seem to be working for me. that site is in another language also.

15. Gnimo hello that such, I would like to know if still the indications that refer to the armor Bis that are being the same or have changed, most of all I am interested for the orc race, in the same way the statistics, many people tell me that the defense cap went up too much for icc to 600 for 25 and 620 for hc, it is correct, many thanks in advance for the friendly response and GREAT GUIDE!

First ... 5678917 ... Last