1. How to counter Dot Clipping bug?

According to a recent post IN THIS TOPIC

Prot is fixed mastery is working well(yes i tested and a lot of other people tested) dot clipping is bugged but as long as u learn to play without it shadow and boomy are more than welcome in raids
    If I understand, DoT clipping is recasting a DoT before its full duration. Let's say Flame Shock lasts 20 seconds, Clipping means recasting it at 18 seconds thus losing 2 seconds of its damage.

So how exactly is dot clipping bugged in boomies and spriests and how do you counter this bug?

2. It's always fun to see someone quoting me, so lets discuss...

in cata DOT clipping isnt a loss like u said, it's a benefit, if u put a refresh a dot before the last tick it will make both of the dots do all of their potential damage(in a way that no tics will be wasted)...

Soo as u took flame shock i will talk about it, lets say it lasts 20 secs ticks every 2 secs, that means if i refresh it at 19th second of its duration the new dot will last 21 second but will have an extra tick, soo by refreshing early you can have 100% uptime on dots.

However, here some dots have their tick timers refreshed once u reaply them, meaning in theory if u would spam shadow word pain, you would do no damage. Potentially making dot clipping impossible due to dots refreshing themselves all the time(meaning letting them fall off gives possibly better results than refreshing before last tick which would be wasted.) now i dont want to be one sided here, i think warmane did some fixes here and there my info might be quite old and no i didn't bother to test it, i will leave it to you, but that's what people were talking.

Before you ask i was talking about warmane doing some fixes about haste increase on channelled(aaand some other) spells. But i believe they might have done something about clipping(atleast sort of) too, not sure needs a test msg 2 long wall of text af

3. It's always fun to see someone quoting me, so lets discuss...

in cata DOT clipping isnt a loss like u said, it's a benefit, if u put a refresh a dot before the last tick it will make both of the dots do all of their potential damage(in a way that no tics will be wasted)...

Soo as u took flame shock i will talk about it, lets say it lasts 20 secs ticks every 2 secs, that means if i refresh it at 19th second of its duration the new dot will last 21 second but will have an extra tick, soo by refreshing early you can have 100% uptime on dots.

However, here some dots have their tick timers refreshed once u reaply them, meaning in theory if u would spam shadow word pain, you would do no damage. Potentially making dot clipping impossible due to dots refreshing themselves all the time(meaning letting them fall off gives possibly better results than refreshing before last tick which would be wasted.) now i dont want to be one sided here, i think warmane did some fixes here and there my info might be quite old and no i didn't bother to test it, i will leave it to you, but that's what people were talking.

Before you ask i was talking about warmane doing some fixes about haste increase on channelled(aaand some other) spells. But i believe they might have done something about clipping(atleast sort of) too, not sure needs a test msg 2 long wall of text af
    On top of all that many dots are not working properly. Mastery is super bugged on many classes, some "dots" don't even really scale of any stats. Decent warlock dps relies almost fully on getting good corruption snapshot with prepot items only small population can hold off. From my experience Black Arrow doesn't really scale of anything.

Tbh I didn't play live cata, but it doesn't feel right when comparing to old dps logs. I could be wrong and maybe dot classes were super heavily gear depended on retail too.

4. @Retreat Your Avatar looks great, did you make it by yourself? :o

5. On top of all that many dots are not working properly. Mastery is super bugged on many classes, some "dots" don't even really scale of any stats. Decent warlock dps relies almost fully on getting good corruption snapshot with prepot items only small population can hold off. From my experience Black Arrow doesn't really scale of anything.

Tbh I didn't play live cata, but it doesn't feel right when comparing to old dps logs. I could be wrong and maybe dot classes were super heavily gear depended on retail too.
    Lovely i wrote a wall of text and lost it... Here we go again.

I wouldn't go in comparing dps recounts from retail, there are many factors that affect these and it might be impossible to make everything the same as it was in retail...

Mastery in most cases work fine, but the other factors that may make it look like it doesn't work. For example shadow priests. Apply sw:pain do mindblast once u have shadow orb, your mastery should start affecting the sw:pain after u refresh it using mind flay, but it wont. The same could go the other way if u apply the shadow word pain while having mastery up u can keep it forever using mind flay doing the same damage no matter what other procs u get or if u do or do not have empowered orb(mastery).

This is true for any spec that has some way to refresh their dots, even bleeds work. Sub rogues, ferals, demo, aff, shadow.

The survival hunters are mostly punished by dot clipping i would say, being unable to refresh explosive a tick early really makes their dps drop. Im not sure about black arrow im not really indeph hunter player, but if surv doesn't work i am not bothered by it, i like mm more anyway.

Many dots that weren't scaling with haste are being fixed(hoh, dh, mind flay) but they always scaled with mastery crit and intelect, can u be more precise when saying "some dots dont scale with stats at all"? Isn't black arrow affected by crit? Agility? Other stuff

6. So if this bug is just mostly affecting auto-refreshable DoTs like Shadow Word: Pain (via Mind Flay), it won't be much of a DPS loss, since our most powerful DoT is Vampiric Touch

There are always ways to work around this. Check the talent "Pain and Suffering", which gives mind flay the chance to refresh SWP either by 30% or 60% depending on the number of points you put on it.

Either your can just put one so it will refresh less frequently or you can forego it entirely so you can refresh SWP manually

Please correct me if I'm wrong