1. Can mage have pets?

Hi, is it possible to get pets as a mage? I have seen water elementals mentioned but i cannot learn this spell with my current mage character (40th).

ps: in case this is important, i am playing "World of Warcraft 3.3.5a (no install)".

2. check your tree, Frost, you'll see a specific talent

3. I was wondering the same thing. Some sites says we can summon water elemental when we are level 10 frost mages but on the frost talent tree seems like we have to have 40 talent points to get summon water elemental. Am i looking at the wrong guide ? I am also playing on the World of Warcraft 3.3.5a patch.

4. The water element was already there at burning crusade

As you said, you need 40 points to spend on your frost tree to unlock the pet, and 1 point for it
    Knowing that you start having your first talent point at level 10, you have to do (10 + 40 +1) which means you require 41 unspent points to be sure to unlock it without having any point on the tree, and you have them at lvl 51

5. There's two types, guardian pets and combat pets. If you wish a combat pet and not a guardian, get the frost elemental glyph, it will become permanent pet but lose his freeze ability.