-5.1 Gemming
    -5.2 Reforging
    -5.3 Enchants
    6. Professions
    7. Macros
    8. Closure

1. Introduction
    Hello there!
    Since I had way too much time on my hands I've decided to bring you guys a PvP guide on how to play/rotate/spec your arcane mage to obtain the best possible results!

-1.1 Who am I?
    People usually call me by the nickname "Looshi", I'm a Rank 1 Gladiator Arcane Mage and a MultiGlad player on Frostwolf.

2. Playstyle
    Arcane mage in MoP has one of the most interesting playstyles it's ever had in history.
    It has its good old arcane stacks just like cata etc, but:
    it's not a stationary hardcaster and it can be at the same time. In 5.4.8, Arcane is provided with Deep Freeze and Ice Lance.
    Needless to say, Arcane offers the highest damage among the 3 specs, along with the highest burst damage ingame overall when it comes to huge hits.

***RETAIL ARCANE FOOTAGE OF A 2.7K ARCANE AND MULTIR1 EXP FROST MAGE***

3. Spell Priorities
    Obviously the spec itself requires spell priorities based on the situations you're facing. We'll take a look at the most important ones you must always keep track of.
    Spell schools are divided in colors: Arcane Frost Fire

-Slow: Keep them slowed! You don't want any of those nasty meele dpses running for you!

-Blazing Speed: This is your gap closer. You will need this talent for kiting efficiently and closing gaps when you need to Deep Freeze or refresh your Arcane Charges.

-Living Bomb: This spell at the end of a match might equal 40-50% of your total damage so it's a "must keep up at all times" spell. Remember to refresh it when you have a lot of procs up.

-Ice Barrier: If you run Ice Barrier make sure you refresh it at all times.

-Temporal Shield: If you run Temporal Shield make sure to use it when your enemy is bursting.

-Spellsteal: Make sure your targets are almost always buffless. Along with the fact that it'll provide you with more buffs it also heals you for 2% of your hp if you're running Glyph of Spellsteal.

-Incanter's Ward: Make sure you rotate it every time you can, but also you must make sure you will get hit, or it'll simply go to waste. It replenishes the mana you lost from the heavy spellstealing or Arcane Blast hardcasting. It improves your spellpower value by a considerable percentage and gives you a tiny absorb.

-Arcane Missiles: Use them whenever you can, they're the easiest way to build up stacks. Also provides incredible pressure damage while at 4 charges.

-Deep Freeze: This is very, very, important to an Arcane Mage, in 5.4.8, since it's the moment when you'll be trimming your enemy's hp by 50-100%.

-Arcane Blast: Cast it whenever you can cast it or you don't need to rush kills and have no Arcane Missiles stacks. Never freecast an Arcane Blast while a meele is on you and be careful while casting it because you could get locked while you're being focused and it'll lock your Arcane school making you unable to Blink, making you incredibly vulnerable.

-Ice Lance: This is your "mobile" form of damage during Deep Freeze when your Arcane Charges are less than 3 to use Arcane Barrage.

-Cone of Cold: Cone of Cold is a 60% slow, superior to slow but has shorter range and is not spammable. This talent allows you to slow multiple targets at once and kite meeles more effectively since every meele slow except a shivved crippling poison is 50%, thus, giving you the edge in speed.

-Arcane Barrage: This is your weapon of mass destruction. With more than 3 charges and arcane missiles they'll provide the highest damage. When you're at more than 3 Arcane Charges cast Burst + Alter Time -> Arcane Missiles -> Barrage. At the same time, you can also cast it when the target is very far away from you or when you know you won't be able to refresh your Arcane Charges.

-Arcane Explosion: This spell allows you to refresh your stacks, you'll often find yourself using Blazing Speed to close gaps between you and your target and refreshing your charges with Arcane Explosion.

-Frostfire Bolt: This is an interesting one. Just like Hansol's famous Fireball into Pyroblast shatter, or the good old TBC Frostbolt into Ice Lance shatter, you can do something similar while your target is under Ring of Frost or a Frost Nova. Hardcast a Frostfire Bolt into Ice Lance(frostfire shatter) before you deep freeze and their hp will disappear. This can obviously vary if you have 4 charges: you could cast Frostfire Bolt into Arcane Barrage (elemental shatter) and if you do it properly it will hit for more than 300k+ with all procs up.

-Alter Time: This one can be used both defensively and offensively, depending on the situation. While bursting you'll need Alter Time in order to use up to 2 Arcane Barrages in a row (since alter timing back will also bring Arcane Charges back).

4. Talents and Glyphs
    When it comes to talents, I've somehow managed to narrow down an all-arounder tree which provides the best results for 1v1s/2v2s/3v3s/RBGs.

-4.1 Talent overview

Level 15 Tier: Blazing Speed
    Blazing Speed is the best thing that's ever happened to arcanes. Having a hard time CCing unlike fire and frost (breath and extra ranged novas) arcanes often find struggles in position/kiting. Thanks to blazing speed you'll be able to, do your hard casts, reach your targets with ease AND kite them with ease. Presence of Mind is not needed since the only thing an arcane could get from it is an arcane blast, which is just 1 stack out of 4 although it could be useful against certain 3s comps where a lot of peels are needed and you're certain you won't really be the target of choice. Ice Floes is pretty bad 'cause either way hardcasting arcane blast, or whatever, while moving isn't really all that profitable.

Level 30 Tier: Ice Barrier
    Ice barrier provides a very good amount of absorb. Non-battle fatigued it can go from 100k to 200k. While under battle fatigue it ranges from 45k to 80k. Needless to say, 3s will force you to run temporal shield due to very high bursts, or if you plan on running healer-dps in 2s. Flameglow is also a good choice when facing pressure comps(i.e. Affli Locks).

Level 45 Tier: Ring of Frost
    This one is very cute. It can CC a whole RBG or a whole team based on how well you use it. For those who don't like walking into it you could Frost Nova -> CounterSpell blanket -> Ring of Frost on them. Frostjaw isn't a bad choice nor is Frostward but ring is my personal preference.

Level 60 Tier: Cold Snap
    Needless to say, having 2 Ice Blocks (also remember that technically the cooldown becomes 3 minutes after both blocks have been depleted thanks to Cold Snap) and that 30% hp heal every 3 mins is very useful for your overall survivability along with the fact that Arcane is provided with very few Freezes so if you don't have any way to setup a ring and have no nova you won't be able to deep. In that case, you could Cold Snap and just Deep Freeze them right away.

Level 75 Tier: Living Bomb
    Living bomb is the best choice out of all 3 bombs simply because it deals the highest overall damage among the 3. Nether Tempest breaks CC due to its proximity AoE and Frost Bomb is hardcasted and won't crit unless under freezes.

Level 90 Tier: Incanter's Ward
    Incanter's Ward as mentioned above provides you with damage increase, mana replenishment and a tiny but efficient absorb. You won't need Invocation since arcane hardly ever runs out of mana (haste based mana replenishment + gems + incanter's ward provides more than 50% of your mana) and you don't want to be hardcasting it for that 15% midgame. Rune of Power is something you absolutely want to avoid since Arcane must try to avoid being for too long in a single spot.

-4.2 Glyphs and why

Primary Glyphs:
    -Glyph of Deep Freeze: This is you most important glyph. It's a must have. You don't want your deep freeze to be an extra global for shatter reasons.
    -Glyph of Ice Block: Provides 3s of spell immunity and an additional Frost Nova. It provides that extra nova you lack. If you use alter time right after ice block you'd end up having a 3s immunity twice. (Could be substituted with Glyph of Polymorph/Armors based on the situation)
    -Glyph of Spellsteal: Provides you with a ridiculously good constant heal. (could be changed with Armors/Polymorph based on the situation)
    -Glyph of Polymorph: This glyph can be replaced to Glyph of Ice Block if you're facing classes you'll be able to spellsteal buffs from. This Glyph is used when you have team members that DoT massively or need to peel constantly. It could also be replaced with Glyph of Spellsteal in case you're facing warriors etc.
    -Glyph of Armors: This one is used when you know you won't be needing Ice Block(thus replace iceblock glyph) that much or you'll be sitting a lot of magic CC. Or if you know you won't be able to spellsteal that much (Hunter/Warrior comps without healers etc, thus replacing spellsteal Glyph).

Minor Glyphs don't matter for Arcanes. They're just for fun.

5. Stat Priorities
    Gearing, Gemming, Priority and Enchants all follow your Stat priority which is : 6% Hit Rating>Intellect=Haste>Mastery>Critical Strike
    To many of you who think that Mastery is the priority stat for Arcanes, you're not 100% wrong but 200% wrong. Mastery results in slower casts, global cooldowns and slower mana regeneration which affects your mastery aswell. Arcane mastery deals Mastery% damage based on the amount of mana you have unspent. Meaning if you're at 100% mana you will be dealing more damage(Reason why before you cast Full stack arcane barrages it's good to use mana gem if not at 100% mana). By building haste your casts will be faster, thus you will build up more stacks in less time and you will also cast crowd controls more efficiently and globals will drop considerably (especially with frost armor up).
    With Haste you also have the passive ability called [Nether Attunement] and its effect is "Your spell haste also increases your mana regeneration", meaning not only will you be casting faster but you will also be regenerating mana faster, which will put you at nearly 99% of the times at 100% mana. Thus making your mastery much more efficient overall.
    Whether you pick Intellect or Haste as your primary stat will affect your Gemming primarily.

-5.1 Gemming
    As I mentioned before choosing whether you will be building on Haste or Intellect is entirely up to you.
    In endgear I'd suggest going mainly intellect, since it will increase your overall damage output thus allowing you to play frost armor, resulting in 7% haste which will pretty much make up for the deficiency. Although your casts will be slightly slower when it comes to CC or bursting (GCDs and casts).
    Having said that, the conclusion is that there are 2 possible ways to make your build.

The Meta Gem is the same for both builds: Burning Primal Diamond (216 Int / 3% Crit)

Intellect Build:
    Red: Brilliant Primordial Ruby (160 Int)
    Yellow: Reckless Vermilion Onyx (80 Int/160 Haste)
    Blue: Mysterious Imperial Amethyst (80 Int/ 80 PvP Power)

Haste Build:
    Red: Reckless Vermilion Onyx (80 int/160 Haste)
    Yellow: Quick Sun's Radiance (320 Haste)
    Blue: Shattered Wild Jade (160 Haste/ 80 PvP Power)

-5.2 Reforging
    Reforging is very simple:
    Just follow the stat priority and you'll know how and what to reforge. Keep in mind that you must go further than the 6% hit chance and 25.03% for the breakpoint and not sacrifice too much crit.

-5.3 Enchants
    Enchants are fairly easy aswell:
    -Weapon: Jade Spirit (1650 Intellect / 750 spirit under 25% mana)
    -Offhand: Major Intellect (165 Intellect)
    -Shoulders: Greater Crane Wing Inscription (200 Intellect / 100 Critical Strike)
    -Back: Lightweave Embroidery (2000 Intellect/550 Tailoring)
    -Chest: Glorious Stats (80 all stats)
    -Bracer: Super Intellect (170 Intellect)
    -Gloves: Greater Haste (170 Haste)
    -Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle (With 160 intellect if Intellect Build or 320 Haste if Haste Build)
    -Legs: Master's Spellthread (285 Intellect / 165 Critical Strike)
    -Boots: Pandaren's Step (140 Mastery / Slight Movement Speed Increase) It's true this is mastery and not haste, but the slight movement increase is very important.

6. Professions
    Your professions as Arcane should be Herbalism (2880 Haste and a minor heal from Lifeblood at 600 skill level) and Tailoring (2000 Intellect Proc Enchant on Cloak).
    The reason for that is very simple: the 2 professions offer both of your stat priorities, haste and intellect at the peak of their profession level. Herbalism will help you out when bursting, faster casting, faster GCDs and a minor heal is never bad. Tailoring provides you with a 2000 intellect proc which if timed and aligned with other procs it will make you deal massive damage.

7. Macros
    Macros are a fundamental part your typical PvP environment.
    The amount of macros you will need, are surprisingly more than you'd think.
    "But don't I just need the usual focus CC macros and Burst macros?"
    That's a common question that comes to mind. And that's partially true. But the thing is you need more than that.
    If you're in Ice Block and you need to get out of it quickly you're gonna need a "/cancelaura Ice Block" macro command at the beginning of every macro.
    I personally reccomend making a macro for every crucial ability so that you can perform faster.
    Here are some of the most basic macros you'll need:

Polymorph:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Polymorph
    /cancelaura Ice Block
    /cast [@focus] Polymorph
    Counterspell:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Counterspell
    /cancelaura Ice Block
    /cast Counterspell
    /cast [@focus, mod: shift] Counterspell
    Ice Block:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Ice Block
    /cancelaura Ice Block
    /cast Ice Block
    Deep Freeze: (this one is very useful if you're using [Glyph of Ice Block])
    Code:
    #showtooltip Deep Freeze
    /cancelaura Ice Block
    /cast Deep Freeze
    /cast [@focus, mod: shift] Deep Freeze
    Alter Time REMOVAL macro: (used to juke your opponents or if alter timing back brings you to a disadvantage)
    Code:
    #showtooltip Alter Time
    /cancelaura Alter Time
    Swifty/Burst Macro:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Arcane Power
    /cancelaura Ice Block
    /cast Arcane Power
    /cast Lifeblood
    /use 13
    For the burst macro I wrote /use 13. This macro command uses your equipment slot 13 which is your upper trinket slot. The slot trinkets are 13 and 14. 13 being the top one and 14 being the bottom one. (Use this only if human)

8. Closure
    I hope this guide has been helpful to whoever is reading.
    Needless to say all the mechanics involved in this guide are MoP related, going in any other expansion and playing the same way as in MoP as an arcane won't be fruitful at all.
    I decided to make this guide because I was tired of seeing so many players playing arcane the wrong way and making a bad name for the arcane spec overall. "It's not good enough", "doesn't do damage", "it's a pve spec", "He's arcane that means he's bad".
    If you need to hit me up ingame hit me up on my arcane: Purple (Alliance) or Ryzzy (Horde).

Thank you,
    Looshi.
    Edited: April 26, 2017

2. So you never use it pom in 2s?Not even vs red to druid to cc him?And what do you think for boomkin/arcane for 2s?

3. So you never use it pom in 2s?Not even vs red to druid to cc him?And what do you think for boomkin/arcane for 2s?
    The reason as to why I don't play pom is explained in the guide. Regarding Resto Druids I usually precast knowing when they'll shift out of form and the global cooldown won't let them go back into shapeshift before the cast ends so it's usually fairly easy. But druids won't let themselves near you so my approach is usually just splitting the pressure. Plus, with pom it becomes incredibly difficult to connect properly. Even if you land the cc, the target you want to kill will just run away immediately if they're a little smart. I only got to 2.3k as Arcane/Balance in 2s then dropped the comp since it started becoming tremendously boring and unnecessarily challenging, it has potential but at the same time it struggles to beat meta comps such as war/rsham or frost/healer etc.
    I also played Fire/Arcane to 2.3k which is an even worse comp. Arcane's not really suited for the 2s scene. Although, if I were to recommend a comp it'd be Rdruid/Arcane or Hpal/Arcane if you're aiming for rating as this spec.
    Edited: April 12, 2017

4. Zamp approves of this guide 6.9/7.

5. Nice guide, you covered and explained all necessary stuff and since I know you, your playstyle and your knowledge as arcane I think every arcane mage can easily stick to this guide.
    I also followed your guide on "my" mage and felt rly comfortable tho i was playing arcane for the first time of my life.

Thumbs up,
    Pain

6. Very well explained.Also i am struggling to understand the usage of ring of frost.It's good for fire and frost since they have breath and pet's freeze, but for arcane idk.You can put it on healer only with nova+counterspell, but you waste the silence.Could you please explain how arcane mage should use ring (and why not frostjaw)?

7. Very well explained.Also i am struggling to understand the usage of ring of frost.It's good for fire and frost since they have breath and pet's freeze, but for arcane idk.You can put it on healer only with nova+counterspell, but you waste the silence.Could you please explain how arcane mage should use ring (and why not frostjaw)?
    Ring of Frost can have multiple uses. Used at the perfect time it can land double cc out of the blue. The main use is to land CC behind pillars since you can cast ring of frost and land it on a target while not being in their actual LoS which can also prevent kicks and interrupts. Another way to use ring is to force position. If you have a pillar and your enemies are running around it'll help you connect. For example if you place the ring on the left side of the pillar and go right, they won't be able to kite you around it since the ring's on the other side.
    As explained in this pic for example:
    Edited: April 12, 2017

8. Nice guide, you covered and explained all necessary stuff and since I know you, your playstyle and your knowledge as arcane I think every arcane mage can easily stick to this guide.
    I also followed your guide on "my" mage and felt rly comfortable tho i was playing arcane for the first time of my life.

Thumbs up,
    Pain
    I'm very glad my guide could help you man!
    Thanks a lot for the positive reply!

9. Is it possible to beat arms/resto sham as arcane/healer in 2s?And if it is how can you do it?

10. If you're referring to resto druid war you simply keep damaging the war and when you have no CC on the druid you just split the damage, after dampening starts building up living bomb will outdamage hots.
    If it's resto shaman warrior then you need your partner to coordinate with you in order to keep the warrior in check when you kill the shaman. Shamans can actually be taken down if you burst properly. Even early dampening. It's just a matter of coordination.

11. Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it.Just started playing arcane on my horde mage.I figured myself a rotation for killing healers.Can you tell me what you think?
    Get 4x stacks-->freeze+silence-->cds+alter time-->living bomb-->hardcast frostfire-->arcane barrage--->deep freeze-->alter time back-->ice lance x2 or arcane missiles-->arcane barrage

ps
    a gift from me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6omsDyFNlk
    Edited: April 15, 2017

12. Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it.Just started playing arcane on my horde mage.I figured myself a rotation for killing healers.Can you tell me what you think?
    Get 4x stacks-->freeze+silence-->cds+alter time-->living bomb-->hardcast frostfire-->arcane barrage--->deep freeze-->alter time back-->ice lance x2 or arcane missiles-->arcane barrage
    That rotation is extremely clunky, you don't wanna hardcast a frostfire like that on a healer except in very special situations. The only time I find myself hardcasting a frostfire is if I have no arcane missile stacks, it's true that elemental shatters hit for loads but the optimal way is to simply alter burst freeze deep missiles into barrage 99% of the times. You can do a variation if you have 2 stacks of missiles which is, you blazing speed and freeze silence the target (unless it's a druid) and after you grabbed distance you precast missiles without landing deep just yet, and when the missiles are about to land (usually the damage tollerance before nova breaks is about 1-2 missiles) you can use deep freeze and use missiles again into barrage, alter time back do an ice lance and another barrage. If you're not peeled from your target it's a 100% sure kill.

ps
    thanks for the gift,
    forgot that thing existed but I was never a big fan of it
    Edited: April 18, 2017

13. Arcane in general is easy spec, but i find it really hard for arena..I have the feeling that all my damage is from deep freeze.Most of the time I'm getting trained the whole game and all I can do is spam arcane explosion or fake arcane missiles waiting for deep.As you know their damage is low and when the arena ends I'm always out damaged.Not to mention losing stacks in every cc chain.Also landing a poly to a healer is such a pain...since they los non stop because my damage without deep is so low that they don't need to heal at all.Usually my partners doesn't help me in ccs, so most of the time I'm forced to just silence the healer when bursting in deep and hoping I'll get the kill.I searched for video of arcane mage doing arenas but couldn't find anything..I really don't know how to learn the arcane way of doing arenas.Maybe I just have to que like crazy and hoping of learning by practice.

14. Arcane in general is easy spec, but i find it really hard for arena..I have the feeling that all my damage is from deep freeze.Most of the time I'm getting trained the whole game and all I can do is spam arcane explosion or fake arcane missiles waiting for deep.As you know their damage is low and when the arena ends I'm always out damaged.Not to mention losing stacks in every cc chain.Also landing a poly to a healer is such a pain...since they los non stop because my damage without deep is so low that they don't need to heal at all.Usually my partners doesn't help me in ccs, so most of the time I'm forced to just silence the healer when bursting in deep and hoping I'll get the kill.I searched for video of arcane mage doing arenas but couldn't find anything..I really don't know how to learn the arcane way of doing arenas.Maybe I just have to que like crazy and hoping of learning by practice.
    That's where most people get tricked though, they think it's an easy spec but it's actually the hardest to execute properly ;>
    There are no guides out there nor PvP videos that you can watch that teach you how to play arcane effectively, I learned my class from top to bottom on my own and came up with everything I do by myself. The """best""" you can get on Youtube is Kryoz but Kryoz is just a Duelist Arcane Mage and Duelist on retail is around 2k rating.
    Edited: April 20, 2017

15. I don't play much mage. I certainly don't play much Arcane Mage. However, if there was a person I would listen to, its Looshi. He has proven himself on his Arcane Mage not just here, but in other places as well.

This is a really well written guide, and if I ever got around to gearing my mage I'd definitely use this to beat you with your own medicine Looshi :P

12 Last