1. May 22, 2018  

Warrior tank on Icecrown - worth ?

Hello guys,

what is a current state of a prot warrior ( threat, aggro, damage mitigation, known bugs, ...etc. )

Is it viable on Icecrown server for ICC HC / TOGC / other raids ? I want to play only PVE, not interseted in PvP.

For last couple years I was a main tank as prot warrior on different servers, however here on Icecrown seems like protection warrs dont recieve much love.
    I dont have a time for guild raids now (got family and work) so i want to tank ICC / TOGC specifically in pugs in some random times / random days.

This forum is full of posts that warrior tanks are often kicked from pug raids just because they are warriors ... it this true ?

In my deep hearth i was always protection warrior smashing enemies with my mighty shield and sword, charging and battle yelling towards them and bleeding under their heavy punches under my plate armor.

I know that the game should be funny so play what you love but with a limited time I will get frustrared pretty soon if I spent time leveling / gearing warrior and than got kicked 9 out of 10 times from raids. (i know that i have to farm lower tier dungs / HC before TOGC / ICC ).

Im considering prot paladin but those are hundreads on this server (might get trouble to join raid as well due to tank duplicity), so maybe bear druid, but no shield and sword :(

Thank you for any reply.

2. May 22, 2018  
    Hello guys,

what is a current state of a prot warrior ( threat, aggro, damage mitigation, known bugs, ...etc. )

Is it viable on Icecrown server for ICC HC / TOGC / other raids ? I want to play only PVE, not interseted in PvP.

For last couple years I was a main tank as prot warrior on different servers, however here on Icecrown seems like protection warrs dont recieve much love.
    I dont have a time for guild raids now (got family and work) so i want to tank ICC / TOGC specifically in pugs in some random times / random days.

This forum is full of posts that warrior tanks are often kicked from pug raids just because they are warriors ... it this true ?

In my deep hearth i was always protection warrior smashing enemies with my mighty shield and sword, charging and battle yelling towards them and bleeding under their heavy punches under my plate armor.

I know that the game should be funny so play what you love but with a limited time I will get frustrared pretty soon if I spent time leveling / gearing warrior and than got kicked 9 out of 10 times from raids. (i know that i have to farm lower tier dungs / HC before TOGC / ICC ).

Im considering prot paladin but those are hundreads on this server (might get trouble to join raid as well due to tank duplicity), so maybe bear druid, but no shield and sword :(

Thank you for any reply.
    Hello,
    with warrior you need to play better/be geared better than others to get similar results. It is possible to tank anything, but it is easier with others (especially on Sindra, LK 25 hc and Halion 25 hc - one mistake on prot wars or tank healers side ussually means raid wipe, other tanks can often survive one mistake at a time; In lower content (icc/rs 25n and lower) I didn't feel the difference much). There are many bad war tanks around as well, so part of the reason wars are not as desired comes from this.

Threat is fine. Good wars can even take less dmg than others, but their dmg intake is more spiky and they are more healer reliant (opposite is better for healers/easier for raid - healers don't mind bigger dmg intake as long as its not sudden).

Double paladin tank is not undesirable at all. They provide additional raid buffs and utility, and still work well together.

Fury is among top dps on the other end, so if you are fine doing high-end content as dmg dealer and tanking lower instances (togc, icc norm) it works as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tldr. War can tank anything, but its easier with others (especially high-end content). Paladin is definitelly more (I would even say the most) desirable, especially when it comes to pugs.

3. May 22, 2018  
    There aren't any significant known bugs adversely affecting the Prot Warrior. This is true of basically all other specs as well. The only things that don't quite work right are minor details that ultimately don't have any substantial influence on class performance.

They're more than viable. They are however the least preferable tanks for ICC heroic content.

In my experience, the popularity of Prot Warriors on other servers has a lot to do with their enemy damage scripts not working right. Tank choice doesn't really matter when heroic LK swings for 13k damage. You don't even have to care about critical debuffs like Demoralizing Shout, nor buffs like Inspiration/Ancestral Fortitude being up on you. On Warmane, the damage numbers of bosses is extremely bang-on, especially in ICC, which means not only do you have to pay attention to all those things if you're going to have any chance of downing the boss, but you're also usually better served bringing a tank far more suited to the encounter.

Pugs discriminate against Warrior tanks more than any other tank because the success rate with Warrior tanks tends to be lower. This patch is also old enough that the meta is pretty firmly established by this point. Warrior tanks end up bearing the brunt of that because more responsibility tends to rest on tanks than on DPS, so pugs are naturally more stringent in their choice of tank.

First I'm hearing of it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional pug leader gets a whisper from a 6.2k Prot Pally while making a group and then kicks the 5.7k Prot Warrior he had in the raid without a second thought. Rude and discourteous players exist everywhere though.

If it's not necessary for you to have to play a Warrior, and you're willing to make concessions based on class performance, I'd advise that you invest the time in one of the other 3 tanking classes. They're all really fun and offer plenty of variety. If you ever apply to any high-end guild, you'll be glad for your choice not to have rolled and invested tonnes of effort into a Warrior.

Yeah Paladin tanks are extremely popular, but that's for a very good reason. Most of the time, multiple Pally tanks is not remotely a bad thing in this patch.
    Edited: May 22, 2018

4. I had the same worries as you, but I decided to make a prot warrior anyways. 4.5k gs now. Biggest problem is that icc groups want 5k gs or VoA groups want 5k gs for some reason. Slowly working on gear. Haven't had anyone complain about my damage intake or threat. One surprise was that in random heroics, the 6k gs dpsers pull aggro from me (especially before I got an ilevel 200 weapon) and complained that I suck. ... It's impossible to keep aggro all the time from those with a gear score 2k above mine. But most people aren't like that.

5. One surprise was that in random heroics, the 6k gs dpsers pull aggro from me (especially before I got an ilevel 200 weapon) and complained that I suck. ... It's impossible to keep aggro all the time from those with a gear score 2k above mine. But most people aren't like that.
    Not a surprise - that's entirely normal. Those same people who tell you that suck are bad. I can only give you three tips for these cases:

1. Make sure Vigilance is on the target with the highest threat generation (not the healer, in most cases)
    2. Make sure to keep de-aggroed mobs CCed (via Conc Blow or Shockwave) so that you can give yourself time to generate threat
    3. Sometimes it is better to just let mobs hit other party members, especially if they're melee platers, and especially if they're warriors (in fact, they would love that)

6. I have played a prot warrior on Icecrown for a few months, and lemme tell ya; it's hella fun.
    Especially when you start discovering the little things that you could use to take your tanking game to the next level, like rotating Vigilance to get the most Taunt refreshes, using Shield Block on a pack of mobs to get better threat, using Retaliation on pull to parry-hasten the boss, thus generating even more threat, along with recklessness.
    I have managed to Tank almost every Heroic boss as the Main Tank, with 6.0k-6.2k GS (except for Sindragosa Heroic, i could only Off-tank it).

But overall, it's a pretty strong tanking class once you get the hang of it, which makes it more interesting than the other tanking classes.