1. Multiboxing & Moonkins

Hey!

For some time now I've been wanting to add a balance druid to my compositions. They're my favorite class & spec, but I've never been able to effectively handle eclipse-procs with my setup. So, here I am, asking for your help and input. A brainstorm, of sorts. :)

How do you deal with Eclipse-procs (mainly in PvE, I suppose)?

Some time ago I attempted an Action Bar-swap-keymap. In short, I made a keymap that allowed me to switch the actionbars on the druid whenever eclipse procced - one for lunar, one for solar. Kinda worked, but was a huge pain in the *** to track and manage. And I only tested it in dungeons. I'd imagine it being a nightmare in raids.

I've yet to try two separate DPS-hotkeys, which could work. One with DoTs+Wrath and one with DoTs+Starfall. It would then be /click-macros, so the DoTs doesnt refresh every time I switch hotkey. The challenge here is me being kinda... bad, so I often rely on one hotkey for tanking, and one for dps. So I effectively spam two buttons, with the occational third/fourth when AoE or buffs (Bloodlust, etc) is needed. In another thread I was advised to start using more hotkeys, and I'm working on it. :P

Another thing I've been meaning to test is playing from the druid itself, and thus handle the rotation myself - without the need for (many/advanced) macros, keymaps or dibbledabble. I've always played from the tank-PoV, so it would be a huge challenge. Might be worth it tho.

So those are my thoughts. Anyone else have any tips and/or tricks to share?

2. U can replace the moonkin with a demon lock. Has the same raid buffs and a easier rotation.

If u still want to play the moonkin this is how I would do it:
    I don't think its a good idea to play the moonkin as master. The tank must be the master, otherwise ull have serious problems with boss positioning and aggro.
    With power aura u can track the eclipse procs on the tanks screen so that shouldnt be the problem...

I think the best way to deal with the eclipse procs are two seperated dmg keys like u said. One uses dots+wrath and the other one dots+starfire.

To handle the dots I would use such macros:
    /castsequence reset=2/target insectswarm,null
    /castsequence reset=2/target moonfire,null

Then make a mapped key with 2 steps that has the condition that it resets to first step after 10 sec from LAST press.
    First step: dont advance to next step for 10sec.
    Actions: Insectswarm macro>mf macro> wrath
    Second step: dont advance to next step for 2sec.
    Actions: wrath

When u spam this mapped key it should apply both dots on the opponent and then continue with wrath. When the mappey key jumps after 10 sec over to step two the dot macros reset after 2 sec. Then it jumps over to step one, dots are reapplied followed by wrath and so on.

For moon eclipse just make the same mapped key with starfire instead of wrath.

3. Hey Jakkre! Thanks for replying.

Yeah, I've tried and (somewhat successfully) tested pretty much every other class and spec in my compositions, with the exception of rogues and druid (feral (cat) and balance). I've always had a softspot for Boomkins, so that's one of my bigger goals in multiboxing. Getting them to function properly.

I'll give your way a go. I'm not expecting to pull insane DPS, I just want a go-to-setup for the spec.

Thanks, man!

4. The 2-button setup is probably the way to go, especially if you're running just 1 boomkin in the team.

Personally I'm not very fond of having multiple keys to use for a single rotation, so lately I've been messing around with menus on top of power auras to track and handle individual procs and I got to say that it's a viable option as well. Here's an example I setup with some DKs and the Rime proc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Yi-r7WSCQ You could do something similar, where you virtualize the Wrath/Starfire mapped key in and out of the rotation for a set period of time, or until you press a menu button to swap back again. Granted this requires the click, which can be a pain to handle in the middle of a hectic fight. Down to preference I suppose.

5. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks, Wubsie! I'll give that a try one day. Usable on several classes and specs.

6. The 2-button setup is probably the way to go, especially if you're running just 1 boomkin in the team.

Personally I'm not very fond of having multiple keys to use for a single rotation, so lately I've been messing around with menus on top of power auras to track and handle individual procs and I got to say that it's a viable option as well. Here's an example I setup with some DKs and the Rime proc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Yi-r7WSCQ You could do something similar, where you virtualize the Wrath/Starfire mapped key in and out of the rotation for a set period of time, or until you press a menu button to swap back again. Granted this requires the click, which can be a pain to handle in the middle of a hectic fight. Down to preference I suppose.
    Thats a pretty cool idea. I think Ill use that for my Hpala to switch between holy light and flash of light depending on the incoming dmg.
    Is one second enough time to cast that howling blast though? I mean, what if the DK is on GCD just when u activate the rime proc mapped key and that one second is skipped w/o HB?

Maybe this mapped key modification would work:
    In the "rime proc reset" mapped key on step one use "/castsequence reset=3 howling blast,null" as ur HB macro and also add ur default DPS rotation to step one of that mapped key. Arrange the HB macro and the DPS rotation in a order that it executes HB over the DPS rota and change "do not advance to next step" to 3 seconds.

Now when u activate ur "rime proc reset" mapped key it should use HB once and then continue with ur dps rotation until 3 second expire and the mapped key is turned off.
    This way u make sure that HB wont be skipped.
    I hope u get my point.

7. Is one second enough time to cast that howling blast though? I mean, what if the DK is on GCD just when u activate the rime proc mapped key and that one second is skipped w/o HB?
    So far it appears reliable. It seems that the 1-second is enough to get the spell added to the character's spell que and have it go off next, even if the char is on GCD when I hit the menu button. If I found issues with it, I could always increase it to the full length of the GCD, but then I might have situations (although very unlikely) where it would get triggered twice.

My understanding is that the spell que will accept your next spell in to the que a fraction of a second (something like 0.3-0.5 seconds) before your GCD or previous cast has ended. As everything on the DKs in instant cast, it's very, very likely that the 1 second is enough to bring the last press of HB in that period within that window. I would imagine a high latency might affect the functionality though.

The castsequence in to a "Null" is a decent idea though. Would get rid of any chance of duplicate casts. I've just been using the same ISBoxer macro that I use for applying all my dots, so I've not had a need for that there. Easy enough to add a secondary macro.

As far as switching "modes" on healers, I always set up my team so that my DPS keys (1-6) that trigger different rotations (Aoe, Single target, applying dots, etc) on my tanks and DPS only trigger the same "baseline" healing rotation on my healers. I then have another mapped key that uses virtualization actions to cycle the healers in to different healing modes, such as Slow PVE, AOE Spam, PVP Healing, DPS+Healing, etcetc, so I again don't need to have separate keys for all healing rotations and can still easily access them when I need to.
    Edited: April 20, 2017 Reason: grammar

8. As far as switching "modes" on healers, I always set up my team so that my DPS keys (1-6) that trigger different rotations (Aoe, Single target, applying dots, etc) on my tanks and DPS only trigger the same "baseline" healing rotation on my healers. I then have another mapped key that uses virtualization actions to cycle the healers in to different healing modes, such as Slow PVE, AOE Spam, PVP Healing, DPS+Healing, etcetc, so I again don't need to have separate keys for all healing rotations and can still easily access them when I need to.
    I also have my healing rotation integrated in my DPS mapped key so I don't have to spam multiple buttons in order to heal/dps.
    I use grid and clique to choose the healing target. My healing macros look something like that: "/cast [@focus] heal"
    Now when I left click on a grid frame the healer puts the target as focus and heals it when i spam my DPS mapped key. When I right click the healer clears his focus and stops healing.
    So I actually use focus target to be able to turn the healing ON/OFF but I guess doing that with a virtualization actions would be more "elegant".

When it comes to dispelling debuffs: Until Wotlk there is the advantage that dispell abilitys aren't usable when there is nothing to dispell.
    So in order to dispell a 5 man team all I need is a 5 step mapped key that tries to dispell a different target on each press and release. So I spam that mapped key and it auto dispells the whole team.
    Edited: April 20, 2017

9. I also have my healing rotation integrated in my DPS mapped key so I don't have to spam multiple buttons in order to heal/dps.
    I use grid and clique to choose the healing target. My healing macros look something like that: "/cast [@focus] flash heal"
    When I left click on a grid frame the healer puts the target as focus and heals it when i spam my DPS mapped key. When I right click the healer clears his focus and stops healing.
    So I actually use focus macros to be able to turn the healing ON/OFF but I guess doing that with a virtualization actions would be more "elegant".
    Oh, I use a repeater region for setting a healing target through focus (and for some quick spot heals with click healing, battle resses, dispells, etc) as well and all my macros have a similar conditional [@focus,help] line at the start so I heal a focus target if I have one set. I just like having some baseline healing through Targetoftarget or AOE spam going on without having to always set a target. I think we're getting off topic here though. :D

10. And further we must go! This is very interesting stuff. :D
    I'll allow it!

I assume the healingsetup you use is mainly aimed towards raiding and PvP, as it would be kinda overkill for my dungeon-teams, no? Even so, it seems awesome, and it boggles my mind that I've been overthinking stuff like dispelling, proccs and such. Thanks guys!

11. I wouldn't call it overkill. Necessary for dungeons? Maybe not, but I don't see how it complicates things really. You just have more options available to you. + I like messing around with this stuff, trying to set up different things, so it's all good fun. :)

I use the same setup for raiding, PVP, dungeons and just questing. It's more a question of preference as to how much control and flexibility I wish to have with it, while still having that baseline "passive" setup running as well.