1. May 3, 2017  

Hit Rating, Spell Penetration, Miss, Resist

Hello, I always played "as the guides say", I mean 4% hit rating on caster, 5% on melee (without talking about nigh/blood elves, rogues etc), 135+ spell penetration. The "problem" is I noticed mostly of top players on ladder don't even run with hit capped, rdruid, disci priest, no hit rating, no spell penetration, nothing, just spell power mp5/spirit/resi...can someone give me a fast explanation?

I mean as far as I know the hit rating is a must to have, but the spell penetration only afflicts damage output am I right? So only dps should socket sp-pen. According to this, a disci priest shouldnt resist fear just because its not socketed into spell penetration, and I never saw a disci with spell pene gems and I wonder how they climb up ladder with those sockets,. The fact is sometimes I resist fear (or resist cyclone even with spell pene druid, so now i switched into mp5 like my druid on blackrock which is 1k8 rating and only 35 spell pene on back), how is that possible 2400+ players afford to run without stats capped?

In few words: what means when i see "resist" on fear, its a spell penetration issue? or just rng hit rating against rogue, nigh elves and similar? What am I missing?

Thanks in advice.

2. May 3, 2017  
    As I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong), those resists are, in fact, due to low spell pen value. Gemming for it is valid (or swapping weapon+offhand+wand mid-fight) but mana regen gives you more in terms of pure healing output. Also, paladins and mages are only 2 classes that have higher resistance that can not be dispelled, so make sure you dispel before you fear. Similar story with hit rating, yes 5% hit should guarantee you not to miss spells, but then you sacrifice mp5/resilience.

Top players are usually BiS, so couple of percentages of damage from healer won't make any difference, if a CC chain is done right.

3. May 3, 2017  
    Yeah I thought about weapons swapping too, but still you don't reach the 120~ spell pene you need vs mages or 130 vs paladin in shadow res, u need also some socket, so thats why I'm confused about what to do.

4. May 10, 2017  
    You gem hit not to miss and you gem spell pen not to be resisted , it all about how balanced you want your other stats to be and if its worth it to gain 4% more hit to negate a ret divine purpose or a rogue heightened senses. While it seems not to be such a big deal in most cases , a failed sheep/blind and some other powerful ccs can cost you the arena match.
    As for spell pen , you just need enugh to negate the classes that have some sort of resistence shadow res and the like.
    You having shadow res up and enemy not having the match up spell pen makes you resist some fears.

5. May 11, 2017  
    Its simple bro, cuz depend what setup are u playing, for example , im a disco priest and when i play with a mage i need a lot of haste and cap hit / spell pen prorperly, buuuuuuuuut if i play with a feral druid , i need swift all my gear to mp5 and stay with 0 hit and 0 spell pen cuz i ll win all arenas by mana with inervate + shadowfiend or hymn rotation . dsnt matter if u miss a dispell or a fear, u will win by mana all games , so its the main factor that u need to know.

i hope to help u all , i was multi r1 on retail wotlk like 7 years ago so u can trust me :)

6. May 11, 2017  
    Don't listen to bads, hit rating is not optional. You must hit soft cap, even as healer.

Edit: Same applies to spell penetration.

Also bear in mind certain races/classes will require more or less hit/spell pen.

7. May 16, 2017  
    I've been testing playing without hit as disc/warrior all the way to 2350 and it doesn't really seem worth it to me. Playing with no hit also means you can miss on more specific stuff like dispelling sacred shield quik or dotting to help on dps not just your fear. Having to press whatever I miss another time to make it land already feels like I'm actually not gaining any mana from the mp5 set up.

My view on it is that if you're going to play for mana from minute 1 (disc/feral, disc/ret) then this might work. If you actually want to kill stuff without RNG being involved, just stay hitcapped.