1. May 8, 2017  

A bit of guidance?

Hey guys, if you have some time to spare maybe you could help me a bit.

I want to tank while in Outland because I really enjoy the role and in wrath I've always tanked(Yes, I'm aware it's pretty different, thus the purpose of the thread). I've read guides, watched youtube on all the tank specs and all their pros and cons(in teory) but of course people usually are too subjective in their oppinios. Between a druid tank and a paladin tank, what would you, as a raid leader prefer in your group? I like both of their playstyles and raid utility but I kinda prefer paladin because it has the massive aoe thing. BUT, I would not want to roll a pally to be usefull only in Hyjal and 5 mans.

So, in fights like grulls, do pallies have a place-equal gear ofc-? in SSC and TK? Illidian can be tanked only by a war..got that already. I'm really just looking for oppinions in order to make my decision because people around here are always pretty knowledgeable in these regards...so yea...A bit of help?

2. May 8, 2017  
    All tanks can tank all fights. Just most guilds take their war out of habit or officer status.

You can MT all T4 fine.
    In gruul's lair, assuming all else equal, full t4, warriors got ~~~5% more dodge and 400hp more than palas. But that is because blizzard is ******ed in their itemization.
    Then again if you gonna MT you should not use full T4 as pala unless you need the threat. Get main tank gear, max stam.

In T5...
    "Hardest" fight is leo the blind, since you have to recover aggro after losing it, it is hard... then again other tanks should be helping here.
    Usually what i do is just use spellpower set+trinkets/flask there. Save shield+judge for right time. Not having braindead dps helps on the transition.

T6
    RoS favors warrior because of spell reflect, but it can be done with others, just allot harder.
    Illidan does very little damage and you have all healers of the raid spamming on you.
    Hyjal you are better on all because undead/demon, even kaz'rogal, you get plenty of mana back to compensate the mark.
    Unless ofc you going on a "speed run" where warriors Recklessness threat beats all.

At the end of the day... between druid and pala. I would have them do /roll to see who is tanking the boss.
    Ofc some fights favor the pallie doing trash like moro, or druid tanking the shaman add in Karathress.
    But tanking is a team effort, not single man doing everything...

That said pallies can solo kara and za and it feels awsome good to do so. Except when you no longer need gear from it. :)
    Once you get enough gear you can also do hyjal style BT trash clears, which no other tank can do. Which means you will have less time to afk compared to if you were druid.

p.s.
    By the time you reach T6 it will be pallies that have better itemized gear.
    With the avoidance bonus of wars greatly diminished and pallies on top with 1,1k more hp.
    Edited: May 8, 2017

3. May 8, 2017  
    I guess one thing the druid has over the paladin is that if your not required to tank atleast the druid can do some kitty dps (I know its a different gear set, but its still going to do more than a prot paladin)

4. May 8, 2017  
    threat generation is odd for a paladin a big threat generator aside form taunts comes from taking damage so if you have to tank swap it could prove difficult for you maintain threat vs a druid/warrior

Warrior and Druid were typically the go to tanks and Ret Paladins/Holy in the guilds often had tank sets for when the raids needed a tank paladin for Hyjal was a good example that you said and 5 mans or for alt raids.

Competitive guilds won't have many prot paladins in casual and guilds that are super try hard will likely have prot paladins as main tanks.

Hope this helped.

5. May 9, 2017  
    Thank you very much for the advice^^. I'll go for the paladin since I prefer aoe advatange, with the rest, from your comments I understand is a matter of how good you are at paly and how much comunication you have with your raid, so that's going to be fun/interesting.

One reason I got really hyped for Outland is that everything is a team effort, where woltk not so much since threat kinda become a joke(unless highly outgeared). Also the mechanics of the paladin class are so very different, could not have imagined how much a class can change in one expansion.
    Thank you again for your advice!

6. May 9, 2017  
    End of the day Warriors are the top of the food chain, and will always be the MT. After that i would consider Druids to be better than Paladins.

They have lower base health than warriors or druids, they require mana in order to use their threat generating abilities. So Makeing threat is harder than the other 2 classes. When Paladins have combined avoidance of 102.4%, you can start on getting spelldamage to help your threat.
    But yeah paladins can tank it just requires the right type of gear.

I would say paladin tank is fun but with the gearing, Seal Twisting and mana conservation paladins might be the hardest tank to master.
    But you should also know that Protpaladins are better on allyside than on horde since the diffrent Seals.
    Edited: May 9, 2017