1. May 19, 2017  

Hard Truth about LoS

Okay, I've been just spectating the whole LoS mess controversy on the forum.

It seemed like no one actually understands why or what is happening, so let me explain the mess in plain English.

Let's start with basics.

You login to the game and you see a Stormwind Chapel and a Retribution Paladin with Glorenzelg HC. You MIGHT think Stormwind Chapel, the Retribution Paladin character (Human or whatever), and Glorenzelg HC are all the same data file objects; this is not correct.

There are 2 different types of WoW objects, M2 and WMO.

Simply put, M2's are relatively small objects while WMO's are the opposite; huge buildings and objects. M2 objects ignore LoS while WMO objects don't.

This is why people commonly say "some trees do block los but some don't" although there are less than 10 WMO tree models that actually do block LoS in-game out of 100+ other M2 models.

So, why has this not been fixed all this time?

Simply, it is not easy. I am no C++ expert nor Emu master, so I really don't know any specifics but they probably had to make a boolean/parameter to check if the object is M2.

So, they had to modify quite a lot of things which have taken quite a lot of time.

There was whole controversy in TrinityCore GitHub also regarding this. They were debating over if Charge has to go through M2 objects (I mean the calculation of the charge. They weren't sure if it had to calculate the direct distance ignoring M2, or the circle-distance. I think they went with the latter, requiring FULL LoS.) and etc-.

Tl;DR
    Working as intended.

2. May 19, 2017  
    If you wish to know which object is M2 or WMO, download WoW Model Viewers for 3.3.5.

I'm off to bed. Bye

3. May 19, 2017  
    If I know this correctly, the M2 models are generally stuff that can animate.

4. May 19, 2017  
    I am no C++ expert nor Emu master
    I don't think C++ as a lot to do with this. Considering C++ can handle multiple Inheritance, the language itself shouldn't be an obstacle to acquire the desired result; the problem would be the global issue, since many things are related to each other and solving something might cause a (semantic in this case) bug elsewhere.

5. May 19, 2017  
    One of my first experiences on a private server included some witty guy kiting my Hunter around one of the trees in Elwynn, because it provided LoS. It was my first introduction to "private server bugs", because those trees have never had LoS on live. They still don't, and likely never will.

6. May 20, 2017  
    > private servers, working better than live

7. May 20, 2017  
    In some cases, yes. Some LoS concerns and other things like SoR's bug with JotW come to mind.

8. May 20, 2017  

9. May 20, 2017  
    I find it funny that something as logical as not beeing able to shot ur target that is not in ur line of sight, trough a big tree, rock, w/e, gets skripted "Blizzlike", but, something like T9 2/5 mage set bonus gets customly scripted, even tho there are evidance that say how the so called "bug" was present trough all the wotlk.
    Using the same logic, shouldnt we try to fix some stuff that Blizzard couldnt (didnt want to)?
    Just cos a object is specified as M2 and not as WMO doesnt mean i should be able to shot a Frostbolt on a Rogue trough a big tree just for the lulz. Right?
    If nothing else, to try and make the game more balanced and fun for the Melee classes cos its a pain in the *** to be one in BGs especialy...

10. May 20, 2017  
    The LoS issue isn't necessarily a bug, though. For all we know, those things not providing LoS could be working as intended by Blizzard. It probably is, too, because such things STILL do not provide LoS in the live game. Arenas are the exception, because such obstacles are designed specifically for the point of providing LoS.

11. May 20, 2017  
    The LoS issue isn't necessarily a bug, though. For all we know, those things not providing LoS could be working as intended by Blizzard. It probably is, too, because such things STILL do not provide LoS in the live game. Arenas are the exception, because such obstacles are designed specifically for the point of providing LoS.
    Considering how the Arena maps are made (if you look at the files, they made the entire map in one-piece of WMO models), it just might be that Blizzard was really ****ing lazy back in the day. Don't forget the Post-Cata BG's objects ARE LoS-friendly.

Only logical explanations why would be that they were concerned that some REALLY little M2 Objects might also block LoS? But this is prevented by Vmaps, so I don't understand why it was designed this way. It is REALLY hard to say that this was intended because Post-Cata, again, they ARE LoS-friendly.. So.. I really don't know.

I will just go with the flow.

12. May 20, 2017  
    So u are basicly saying that its fine for a Hunter to shot a Warrior, for example, that is hiding behind a rock? Not a pebble, a huge giant rock... But than again, its fine if in Arenas u can hide behind couple of boxes?
    Lets even take that aside, is it logical for attacks to go trough solid objects? Why would a player not be able to run trough a tree but his attack can? It doesnt make sence if u ask me tbh...

Again, my question was: If u have a chance to fix most of bugs blizzard didnt, and make all the stuff work as "intended", like u did with Mage T9, why would u skip that part and decide to remove LoS in whole wide World exept in arenas? Ignoring the fact that its just stupid for an attack to go trough a solid object.

Question for everyone: If LoS doesnt work when it comes to spells/attacks/abilities, did anyone check/test if Mobs are running trough objects again like they did before?
    If attacks ignore and go trough solid objects why wouldnt NPCs aswell?

13. May 20, 2017  
    Perhpas thats how it once was. But it is seriously immersion breaking when you can run up to a giant wall/rock/tree effectively hiding yourself and then cast all your spells through it!

Really opens up interesting abuse cases in PvP. Lots of people dying to things that can't directly see.

Honestly I don't mind at all because I already gave up trying to play melee here.

The way you guys had LoS working before was much better, large objects providing LoS was much more realistic which added depth and quality to the game play. Now we are left guessing what objects will and will not provide LoS. The problem is size doesn't seem to factor into that at all. Regularly casting through objects 100 Teemos tall.

14. May 20, 2017  
    So u are basicly saying that its fine
    I'm going to stop you right there. I didn't say anything was fine. I'm saying that is how Blizzard designed it. Blizzard makes a ton of garbage decisions I don't agree with.

Again, my question was: If u have a chance to fix most of bugs blizzard didnt, and make all the stuff work as "intended", like u did with Mage T9, why would u skip that part and decide to remove LoS in whole wide World exept in arenas? Ignoring the fact that its just stupid for an attack to go trough a solid object.
    That's up to the developer team. I'm not informed on every decision they make. Hell, I don't even know if the change in LoS was intended. I'm a bit more busy with moderating this forum, the stream chat, and helping to organize things for the TBC realm.

15. May 20, 2017  
    whether its intended or not, it quite honestly sucks for any melee class...

12 Last