1. Thanks for the guide. Is there anything about thread control that you or someone else may add (besides Omen)?

I've been struggling to not take aggro as a fresh 70 shadow priest. Currently, Open warns me that I'm above 90% within the first 10 second of most boss fights from normal 70 dungeons, fading doesn't drop it and I constantly stop using swd, trinkets or even stay idle, but it damanges my dps

2. Thanks for the guide. Is there anything about thread control that you or someone else may add (besides Omen)?

I've been struggling to not take aggro as a fresh 70 shadow priest. Currently, Open warns me that I'm above 90% within the first 10 second of most boss fights from normal 70 dungeons, fading doesn't drop it and I constantly stop using swd, trinkets or even stay idle, but it damanges my dps
    I'm not too entirely sure what to comment for a Shadow Priest. Make sure you're talented into your threat reduction talents, wait a bit of extra time before starting to dps, and pray your tank isn't awful. There are also trinkets that reduce your threat. You may want to consider getting one of those too.

3. I might have missed it somewhere in the guide, but what should a holy priest gem for? Spirit? +healing? Or follow socket colors? Thanks!

Btw, I just reached lvl 70 as holy on Medivh. Great stuff.

4. Follow the stat priority and get sockets you feel you need for the most part. The best gem are the Purified ones. You can use bonus healing and/or intellect+bonus healing in yellow sockets. Purified gems will fit into everything else. For a meta gem, generally you'll want the mana restore one, but there other options if you prefer them.

5. In this post, I will be editing in item lists and compiling data that I've built over the last couple weeks in my free time outside of work and etc.

Please note: Item effects, set bonuses, etc. are not included in the listing of the items themselves. It will be up to you to decide if they are worth going for. Items are listed from best to worst, based on their stats and sockets provided. Remember, these lists are not gospel. Please use the information intelligently to make your own gear decisions. Certain items may be better or worse depending on the rest of your gear. All items provided in the list are based on patch 2.4.x, which includes the available itemization on Warmane's current TBC realms.
    Please refer to other parts of the guide, your own play-style and your situation in the game (which raids or encounters you are doing, raid comp, etc.) to decide which sets are worth getting.

Whitemend set: http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/itemset=571
    Hallowed Raiment set (Dungeon 3): http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/itemset=662
    Tier 4: http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/itemset=663
    Tier 5: http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/itemset=665
    Tier 6: http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/itemset=675

Helms

Necklaces

Shoulders

Cloak

Chest

Wrists

Hands

Belt

Legs

Feet

Rings
    Spoiler: Show

One-handed Weapons

Off-hands

Staves (two-handed weapons)

Wands

Trinkets
    Trinkets will not be listed in exact list. Instead will be listed in tiers. S tier, A tier, B tier, C tier.
    S tier refers to Superior.
    You should change your trinkets based on your needs; Mana regen, more healing throughput, etc.

S tier
    Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon
    Memento of Tyrande

A tier
    Glimmering Naaru Sliver
    Tome of Diabolic Remedy
    Earring of Soulful Meditation
    Bangle of Endless Blessings
    Vial of the Sunwell

B tier
    Eye of Gruul
    Pendant of the Violet Eye
    Essence of the Martyr

Figurine - Seaspray Albatross
    Lower City Prayerbook

C tier
    Oshu'gun Relic
    Vengeance of the Illidari

6. BiS Lists
    BiS means "Best in Slot".

These lists are subject to change for the following reasons; Personal preferences on stats (you want more haste, etc.), weaving in tier bonuses when desired, and changes to required stat values (such as stamina-check bosses like Morogrim Tidewalker).

Note on Zul'aman gear: Gear from this raid should be seen as an approximate equivalent to "Tier 5.5". Most of the gear from this raid is superior to Tier 5, and some of it is even equiavlent to Tier 6 and can find its way into BiS lists. If you visit and complete Zul'aman, once it is released, prior to doing Tier 6 content - keep this in mind and review the item listings above to compare items to Tier 5 items.

Pre-Raid BiS
    Helm: Powerheal 4000 Lens (Non-Engineering option: Hallowed Crown)
    Neck: Swampstone Necklace
    Shoulder: Primal Mooncloth Shoulders (Non-Tailoring option: Hallowed Pauldrons)
    Cloak: Manaweave Cloak (Avian Cloak of Feathers is a much easier to get alternative; Manaweave pattern is rare)
    Chest: Primal Moonlcoth Robe (Non-Tailoring option: Hallowed Garments)
    Wrists: Light Scribe Bands
    Hands: Hallowed Handwraps
    Belt: Primal Mooncloth Belt (Non-Tailoring option: Cord of Belief; When Magister's Terrace is available, Cord of Reconstruction is better than Cord of Belief)
    Legs: Pontifex Kilt (Easier to obtain option: Pontiff's Pantaloons of Prophecy)
    Feet: Boots of the Pious (Easier to obtain option: Slippers of Serenity)
    Ring 1: Signet of Repose
    Ring 2: Band of Halos (Third ring option: Ring of Spiritual Precision)
    Weapon: Exodar Life-Staff (Next best is: Gavel of Pure Light & Netherwing Spiritualist's Charm)
    Wand: Soul-Wand of the Aldor
    Trinket 1: Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon
    Trinket 2: Bangle of Endless Blessings
    Other trinket options: Refer to the trinket list here: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread....=1#post2847727

Tier 4 BiS
    Helm: Light-Collar of the Incarnate (Tier 4)
    Neck: Teeth of Gruul
    Shoulder: Light-Mantle of the Incarnate (Tier 4)
    Cloak: Manaweave Cloak (Avian Cloak of Feathers is a much easier to get alternative; Manaweave pattern is rare)
    Chest: Primal Mooncloth Robe
    Wrists: Bands of Indwelling
    Hands: Gloves of Saintly Blessings
    Belt: Primal Mooncloth Belt
    Legs: Pantaloons of Repentance
    Feet: Boots of the Incorrupt
    Ring 1: Violet Signet of the Grand Restorer (Violet signet Honored and above fits here)
    Ring 2: Mender's Heart-Ring
    Weapon: Light's Justice & Signet of Unshakable Faith (This combination is significantly more powerful than any staff you can get from this tier.)
    Wand: Blue Diamond Witchwand
    Trinkets: Refer to the trinket list here: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread....=1#post2847727

Notes: The Primal Mooncloth set is very powerful and should be considered an option until you are fully Tier 5 geared. It is not required, Tier 4 may be used. The 4-set bonus for Tier 4 is not very good due to the inefficiency of Flash Heal. The 2-set bonus for Tier 4 is nice, however.

Tier 5 BiS
    Helm: Crown of the Sun
    Neck: Lord Sanguinar's Claim
    Shoulder: Light-Mantle of the Incarnate (Tier 4)
    Cloak: Sunshower Light Cloak
    Chest: Vestments of the Avatar (Tier 5)
    Wrists: Bands of Indwelling
    Hands: Gloves of Saintly Blessings
    Belt: Belt of the Long Road (SSC/TK crafted BoE)
    Legs: Breeches of the Avatar (Tier 5)
    Feet: Soul-Strider Boots
    Ring 1: Coral Band of the Revived
    Ring 2: Violet Signet of the Grand Restorer
    Weapon: Lightfathom Scepter & Talisman of the Sun King
    Wand: Blue Diamond Witchwand
    Trinkets: Refer to the trinket list here: http://forum.warmane.com/showthread....=1#post2847727

Notes: The Primal Mooncloth set is very powerful and should be considered an option until you are fully Tier 5 geared. If you want the Tier 4 2-set bonus, replace the hands in this list with the Tier 4 hands. The Tier 5 4-set bonus is OK, but not super since your use of Renew should be limited in raids to tanks and keeping people stable. If you want the Tier 5 4-set bonus, replace the shoulders and hands in this list with the Tier 5 set items.

Tier 6 BiS
    Helm: Cowl of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Neck: Lord Sanguinar's Claim (Brooch of Nature's Mercy is better once Zul'aman is available.)
    Shoulder: Mantle of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Cloak: Sunshower Light Cloak
    Chest: Vestments of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Wrists: Bracers of Martyrdom
    Hands: Gloves of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Belt: Belt of Divine Guidance
    Legs: Leggings of Eternity
    Feet: Boots of the Divine Light (Black Temple trash drop)
    Ring 1: Coral Band of the Revived
    Ring 2: Ring of the Eternal Restorer
    Weapon: Staff of Immaculate Recovery (Close 2nd: Crystal Spire of Karabor & Scepter of Purification)
    Wand: Naaru-Blessed Life Rod

Notes: If you are constantly topping off your targets with your Greater Heals and could use a mana efficiency boost, use the Tier 5 2-set bonus. To get this set bonus, replace the legs and hands in this list with Tier 5 set items.
    About the weapons, if you find you are consistently healing targets sub-50% health, use the 1h/oh combo instead of the staff.

Sunwell Plateau BiS
    Helm: Cowl of Purity's Light
    Neck: Amulet of Flowing Life
    Shoulder: Mantle of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Cloak: Shroud of Redeemed Souls
    Chest: Robes of Faltered Light
    Wrists: Cuffs of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Hands: Hands of Eternal Light (Sunwell crafted BoE)
    Belt: Belt of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Legs: Pantaloons of Calming Strife
    Feet: Boots of Absolution (Tier 6)
    Ring 1: Ring of Harmonic Beauty (Trash drop, is not unique)
    Ring 2: Ring of Harmonic Beauty
    Weapon: Golden Staff of the Sin'dorei
    Wand: Wand of Cleansing Light (Trash drop)

Notes: If you are constantly topping off your targets with your Greater Heals and could use a mana efficiency boost, use the Tier 5 2-set bonus. To get this set bonus, replace the legs and hands in this list with Tier 5 set items.
    One-hand+off-hand just does not compete with the staff from this tier.

All of this and the above post will be added to the guide itself. It is being posted here, for now, for visibility.

7. I have finished updating the guide with this information. You can find it here. If you have questions, suggestions or corrections, please feel free to let me know. It was a large chunk of work and I'm sure it's possible I may have missed something.

Also, I have added a small section for gems under the Professions part of the guide where you can see advice on how to gem your gear. You can find that in this post.

8. For a quick and easy mouse-over macro, use this format;

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Greater Heal(Rank 1); [target=player] Greater Heal(Rank 1)

9. Great guide.
    Two quick questions that you dont mention: 1) As far as i recall PoH only works on your own group, while CoH works on all targets within a certain radius of the targeted ally? Is this true?

2) Does the 5-second rule kick in when loading up a cast or when completing the cast? (is it possible to constantly load and cancel heals if rhey arent necessary to complete while maintaining optimal mana regen)? Thanks a bunch!

10. Which healer does the most raid healing in Sunwell Plateau BiS gear?
    Dudu spamming hots, Shami spamming chain heal or Priest spamming Circle of healing?

11. Great guide.
    Two quick questions that you dont mention: 1) As far as i recall PoH only works on your own group, while CoH works on all targets within a certain radius of the targeted ally? Is this true?

2) Does the 5-second rule kick in when loading up a cast or when completing the cast? (is it possible to constantly load and cancel heals if rhey arent necessary to complete while maintaining optimal mana regen)? Thanks a bunch!
    1. Prayer of Healing only heals the group you are in. You cannot use it to heal other groups.
    Circle of Healing heals the target and players in the target's party within its range - it will not heal players outside of the party of the player you cast it on.

2. The 5-second rule is applied when you finish a spell cast. You can cancel casts as much as you like without triggering it.

I'll apply this information to the guide. Thank you too!

Which healer does the most raid healing in Sunwell Plateau BiS gear?
    Dudu spamming hots, Shami spamming chain heal or Priest spamming Circle of healing?
    I can only guess by memory at this point. Druids will probably do the most, I'd imagine. However, the real difference between the three is how quickly the heals are applied. Druids usually pre-emptively HoT, and if they don't, then obviously it takes time for those heals to come into place. Chain Heal has a cast time. Circle of Healing is just raw, instant-cast healing which is quite strong. A Priest that uses CoH in that gear will be significantly stronger than a Shaman for burst damage on groups, but during periods of constant group damage, I think it's arguable and the two may be competitive with each other. Since you're a multiboxer, I'd like to ask if that is why you are asking about this? If so, you should also consider that Priests have Holy Nova as well.

12. A question but for a priest who only uses CoH PoM and renew makes sense to use the trinket darkmoon card: blue dragon?

13. Blue Dragon will be of the same strength (very powerful) no matter what types of spells you cast. Where the tooltip speaks of mana regeneration "while casting", it is referring to the 5-second rule, which I've covered in my guide. I will quote the information about the 5-second rule to you so you don't have to and dig for it.

Here;

mp5 - Mana per 5 seconds - This will read on an item as "Restores X mana per 5 sec."
    5SR - "Five second rule"
    I5SR - Inside the 5 second mp5 penalty timer
    Q: What is the "five second rule"?
    A: The five second rule is a reference to the "mp5" mechanic. When you cast a spell, your mana regeneration is reduced for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, your mana begins regenerating at its full potential again. Keep in mind that the 5-second rule is not applied until you finish a cast. You can cast spells and cancel the cast before it finishes and you will not have the 5-second rule applied to you!
    How to cheat the 5-second-rule!
    - There are two very important parts to this. First, is that your mana will regenerate at full capacity if you do not cast for 5 seconds or more. This means if you are able to put out heals and healing over time effects (Renew for example) that can keep your friends alive for a few seconds, you can use that time to get your mana to regenerate at full capacity.

- Second, and most definitely not least, is that any effect that would cause your heals not to cost any mana will cause the healing spell to not trigger the 5-second-rule penalty. This means, talents such as Inner Focus and Holy Concentration can allow you to cast a very strong heal at no mana cost, and thus allowing you to continue to regenerate your mana at full capacity. When casting with either of these buffs active, it is important that you use the strongest heal you have that benefits from the buff, this way you get the most healing you can for FREE!
    When using these, it is advisable to wait a few seconds after your previous cast before you start casting again with either of these buffs. You can generally expect to get about as much mana back from this as you would from a Super Mana Potion, or more.

- Keep in mind that the 5-second rule is not applied until you finish a cast. You can cast spells and cancel the cast before it finishes and you will not have the 5-second rule applied to you!

- It is also important to note that there are some items and talents that further help you deal with the 5-second-rule penalty. The talent "Meditation" is one of these. Others include the Primal Mooncloth set bonus and trinkets like Bangle of Endless Blessings.

14. So any spell whether, whether instant or not, the effect of the trinket will be the same, right? As long as it is active within 5 seconds after cast (even instantly) mana reagen has increased by 100%

15. Yes, instant casts trigger the 5-second rule (they are still casts, after all). Blue Dragon doesn't really increase your mana regen. What it is actually doing is removing the 5-second rule. If you proc the trinket and don't cast for the rest of the trinket's duration, it's not going to increase your mana regen any higher than what it normally would be while "not casting" (outside the 5-second rule). If you proc the trinket and continue to cast, the trinket will not increase your mana regen any higher than what it normally would be while "not casting".

If you hover your cursor over your mana regen stat on your character sheet in-game, you can see what your mp5 is while casting and while not casting. The difference between those two numbers is essentially the regen you will be gaining while casting. If the trinket happens to proc when you won't be casting anymore, then bad luck I guess. Such is the nature of procs. However, if you are going to continue casting and aren't needing to conserve your casts, then it is very powerful, which is usually the case.

First 12345 ... Last