1. May 23, 2017  

Name unavailable but no character with that name?

Hey guys and gals, I was trying too make a character with a certain name when it told me it was unavailable, i looked up the name on the armory but there were no characters with that name on this server. Why cant I use that name? fyi it is not a "bad" word in any sence.

2. May 23, 2017  
    Perhaps somebody used that name on a character, but deleted said char?

3. May 23, 2017  
    Possibly, but wouldnt the name become available again then?

4. May 23, 2017  
    Does the name have any apostrophes above the letters, or the likes of that? The availability of that was added in WotlK. (To my knowledge)

5. May 23, 2017  
    There can be 2 reasons:
    1. Low level characters don't appear on armory. You can try to add it to friends list in game to check if character exists.
    2. WoW client includes a list of names that can not be used because they are against Blizzards character naming policy: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy

Possibly, but wouldnt the name become available again then?
    On wotlk realms characters sometimes don't get deleted properly and their names become available only after server restart. That bug might exist on TBC realm also so it's third possible reason but it's much less likely than the other 2.

Does the name have any apostrophes above the letters, or the likes of that? The availability of that was added in WotlK. (To my knowledge)
    That's disabled on all realms except Blackrock as far as I know.
    Edited: May 23, 2017

6. May 23, 2017  
    There can be 2 reasons:
    1. Low level characters don't appear on armory. You can try to add it to friends list in game to check if character exists.
    2. WoW client includes a list of names that can not be used because they are against Blizzards character naming policy: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy

On wotlk realms characters sometimes don't get deleted properly and their names become available only after server restart. That bug might exist on TBC realm also so it's third possible reason but it's much less likely than the other 2.

That's disabled on all realms except Blackrock as far as I know.

ty for the reply, i can assure you it is not against any type of policy. Also, i looked up the name in armory and I did find a lvl 1 with the same name, but he was on one of the wotlk servers so I dont really get it.

7. May 23, 2017  
    ty for the reply, i can assure you it is not against any type of policy. Also, i looked up the name in armory and I did find a lvl 1 with the same name, but he was on one of the wotlk servers so I dont really get it.
    That policy includes many names you would not expect til you read the list. It includes names of NPCs, zones and other ingame names as well as country names, brands, music bands, anything starting with king/queen and similar. When creating character, the message that name is unavailable appears instantly when such name is chosen. Otherwise there is a small delay before the message appears, while WoW client checks with server if the name is available. That way you can check if the name you are trying to use is in the list of names that can not be used.

Those names were obtainable on other realms while character renaming was done on website. And there might still be other ways to do it so name might still be unavailable even if someone has it on another realm.

There have been some changes on armory and it's showing level 1 chars but it doesn't show my level 1 chars on Outland realm. Actually I was not able to find any Outland characters at all with random searches so I am not sure if Outland realm is even added to armory.