1. May 25, 2017  

Spells resisting

Hello,

i do not know if it is part of TBC, if it is happening only to me and if it is bug, but I play mage, and from lvl 1 I resist spells (fireball, fireblast) very often.
    Is this a bug?

2. May 25, 2017  
    as a warlock i can confirm that the shadow resistence of some mobs is totally wrong and overtuned, sometimes i need to cast 3 or 4 times before being able to apply a dot on a mob a couple of lvl behind me, examples: gnolls in Redridge, Shadowrunners in Darkshire, and some more now i can not remember, I work around it switching to fire dmg.
    It may be the same for mage spells..

3. May 25, 2017  
    I've been leveling my priest as Shadow, and I can confirm that mobs higher level than me do have the tendency to resist some of my Shadow abilities sometimes. I haven't really encountered this much at mobs at my level or below. I've also come across some golems in areas like Searing Gorge that are highly resistant to magic. All in all, it seems intended. Have you encountered any extreme outliers?

4. May 25, 2017  
    At the same lvl or 1 or 2 more : shadowhide gnolls in the eastern part of redridge resists 30% of times, as said Worgens and above all Nightbane shadow weaver and tainted ones resists 50% or more of times, i met someone else in lower zones but i can not remember :P

5. May 25, 2017  
    At the same lvl or 1 or 2 more : shadowhide gnolls in the eastern part of redridge resists 30% of times, as said Worgens and above all Nightbane shadow weaver and tainted ones resists 50% or more of times, i met someone else in lower zones but i can not remember :P

true, can confirm that as a lock, spell resisting is absolutely insane, like mobs my lvl or even 1 lvl lower - not to mention the higher lvls - resist spells like hell...

6. May 25, 2017  
    This is how it was during bc. Certain mobs had higher resists then others. Example : Green oozes will resist almost anything poison related. I remember playing back in bc and playing a warrior and it was tough to kill stuff that was orange , and very tough to kill things 5 levels higher. (hunters had no problem killing stuff 5 , 6 , 7 or even 8 levels higher). Casters unfortunately got the short end of the stick when it came to killing stuff higher level then you. It's why hit rating is so important for you. or any talent that has % chance to hit.

7. May 25, 2017  
    It is true that many mobs in retail often used to have resistances or even immunities but I'd hazard a guess most perceived issues with mob resistances are correctly perceived and resistance values on mobs are in fact wrong. Probably most if not all mob resistances are wrong, even: that's not the kind of information that was ever datamined (same as damage). In some cases open source databases have values that are off in the extreme (Kolkar centaur shadow resistance in Durotar is a noteworthy example, I don't know if it applies to this server because as I understand it DBs have been backported to more developed Trinitycore, but that's an issue in most vanilla and TBC servers) and while there exists a "legit" source (World of Warcraft Bestiary book), damage values haven't been copied from it to the databases either so I don't see why you'd expect things to be different with resistances.

To provide some examples from the book, Shadowhide Gnolls (in Redridge) have 50 shadow resistance but similarly named Shadowfang Worgen have none (but, while the book makes no mention of it, Wowwiki claims Darksoul is outright immune to shadow and Whitescalp immune to frost - both the absence of high shadow resistance on most worgen and immunity on Darksoul is confirmed by this video: https://youtu.be/VGp-4tE-u98?t=2m26s). Kolkar Centaurs have no resistances, but Onyxia's Brood are extremely resistant to fire (150 for Elite Guard, 250 for Warden and 171 for Whelps). Oozes don't usually have any resistances, but some have very high poison resistance (115 for Emerald Ooze, 100 for Forest Creeper, 100 for Forest Ooze, 115 for Green Sludge, 240 for Jade Ooze and 240 for Jade Sludge).

The book isn't infallible and it's not 100% complete, there are examples of errors that have clearly been done by the editors, but it's probably the only source to get reliable information about presence or absence of resistances on any particular mob. Even when there are claims to one direction or another, I usually wouldn't trust them (and they don't help in determining the exact resistance values anyway): for example, a Wowhead commenter (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=433/shado...ents:id=960362) observed Shadowhide Gnolls have resistances to other schools of magic as well, but I'd hazard a guess he's mistaking level differential resist chance/innate resistance to these mobs actually having increased resistance to magic (they are very high level compared to most Redridge mobs).
    Edited: May 25, 2017

8. May 25, 2017  
    As a hunter, I was getting resisted and missing shots on mobs 15 lvls lower then me =p

9. May 26, 2017  
    lock here, resisting rates are pretty fine. Get used to the fact that leveling in tbc is not facerolling.
    there are talents for resisting and this talents are pretty much a must have for leveling.

10. May 26, 2017  
    lock here, resisting rates are pretty fine. Get used to the fact that leveling in tbc is not facerolling.
    there are talents for resisting and this talents are pretty much a must have for leveling.
    Indeed. As a priest, i.e., always pick that one. I think it's 10% less probability of getting spells resisted.

11. June 9, 2017  
    Mobs are the same on the 1x realm, Grey level mobs on my 70 hunter resisting serpent stings while running my alt through WC as well as the centaurs outside the instance. Stop kidding yourselves about tbc difficulty...Mobs arnt ment to be this resistant.

12. June 9, 2017  
    I've been leveling my priest as Shadow, and I can confirm that mobs higher level than me do have the tendency to resist some of my Shadow abilities sometimes. I haven't really encountered this much at mobs at my level or below. I've also come across some golems in areas like Searing Gorge that are highly resistant to magic. All in all, it seems intended. Have you encountered any extreme outliers?
    The Elemental Salves in Alterac Mountains seem to resist damn near every spell...however It might have been intended cause they are ELEMENTAL lol

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Elemental_Slave

13. June 9, 2017  
    Don't forget that "Miss" doesn't exist for spells in TBC. Miss is also displayed as "Resist".
    So if you try to hit mobs above you, of course you'll get ~10% resists + actual resistance