1. May 24, 2017  

Bear Tank Question(s)

Can someone with more knowledge about gearing a bear tank verify this BiS list please?

http://www.dervesp.narod.ru/Bear_Hig...tion/Head.html

If it is correct then cool, but if not I just need to know before i follow it for gearing advice.

Thanks

2. May 24, 2017  
    Just get 2h mace from Cenarion Expedition -Exalted-
    Get Clefthoof set and few more items from normals-heroics and you are ready to go. There are some nice trinkets for tanking as well from normal dungeons level 70.

3. May 24, 2017  
    BiS lists aren't really applicable to tanks because tanking is a balancing act between guaranteed mitigation, effective health, avoidance and threat. The stats you want depend on the content you are doing and your personal judgement about what kind of approach will yield the best likelihood for success (and similar to DPS classes, you might also have to juggle hit/expertise/defense/armour cap). Say, on a boss like Brutallus it's entirely reasonable to either go over armour cap such that you're still capped during Stomp, or focus more on avoidance such that the likelihood of taking two mainhand hits in row with dodge trinket up approaches nil. And in easy/farm content you might just want to go all out on threat (hit/expertise in particular) to take overaggro out from the list of things that could hypothetically wipe you, in addition to providing more DPS to make the run faster.

As such, you shouldn't aim for any particular item at a top of a list discarding everything else, but instead keep all items that maximize some aspect of tanking in case you might need them. And when you're actually gearing up, which raid items are technically the best is of little concern, the relevant question is which items you can get reliably with modest time investment (in essence, the expected amount of useful stats/time spent gearing up) and the list isn't clear about that all.

Anyway, as for the legitimacy of the list, the mitigation/threat points seem in principle correctly calculated. With major caveats however: for starters, mitigation in TBC is important, not just effective health, so it greatly overvalues stamina. Consequently, the sorting is all over the place really, take a look at high placement of Stormherald in 2-handed weapons for example (ferals shouldn't get the proc, by the way). And in terms of what items you actually want to aim for, that makes the list outrageous (spend thousands of gold or tens of hours, including T5 raid materials, to get Stormherald, or buy Braxxis' Staff for 50g - and in actuality the staff is better despite lower placement anyway).

So no, I wouldn't recommend using the list. I have made this (http://pastebin.com/raw/4KuXHZZr) list for personal use and it's probably more applicable for pre-raid gearing. The gear is sorted roughly by how desirable it is in general starter gear context and gear sources are listed. Some of the above caveats apply and it's for 2.0.3 items so, if Warmane has items from subsequent patches available (I wouldn't know), it misses a couple like Badge of Tenacity (BiS trinket) and Necklace of the Deep (crafted neck that's really good if you have reached uncrittability from other sources and don't need defense from alternatives like Mark of the Ravenguard).
    Edited: May 24, 2017

4. May 24, 2017  
    Thank you both for the information. There was guide before the list explaining that this list was for general purpose mitigation, and to swap out does gear (as you stated) as needed.

I'm gonna look at the other list you linked and compare it mine to see I am on the right track, but from the sound of it I am.

Thanks for the feedback :)

5. May 24, 2017  
    There is a technical BiS, but the possibility of you easily obtaining it is slim If you're looking to raid quickly you'll raid with whatever you can get your hands on. I ended up walking into Kara with mostly crafted gear back in BC. It fit the bill at the time. As Hurzfug said your numbers will be more important than the exact gear you pick up. You need to be uncrittable as it used to be said. Then after that you can gear for max hp or avoidance or armor.

6. May 24, 2017  
    Bear tanks can normally get away with using pvp gear since they can only get def cap and avoidance. Just do BGs til you have a full set.

7. May 24, 2017  
    Bear tanks can normally get away with using pvp gear since they can only get def cap and avoidance. Just do BGs til you have a full set.
    If you're competing with another tank for the spot then it'll just show you as not willing to take the time to gather better gear. Plus the pvp set is poor at best for tanking. And on this server I'd say we'll see enough ferals that you'd rather stand out as putting in a little extra effort.

8. May 24, 2017  
    If you're competing with another tank for the spot then it'll just show you as not willing to take the time to gather better gear. Plus the pvp set is poor at best for tanking. And on this server I'd say we'll see enough ferals that you'd rather stand out as putting in a little extra effort.
    There's not really any good gear for ferals in TBC though.
    It goes from clefthoof to t4.
    Sure, there's some crafted gear that kind of fits in between there, but it normally takes mats from t5 or t6 raids to make.
    PVP gear is the only thing that fits in to those empty slots.
    I'm not saying to go raiding in pvp gear, but it gets you the start you need to actually tank things.

9. May 25, 2017  
    If you have the chance, grab and keep all leather items you can. Later just decide what to wear based on what you have in the bank. As a tank you should never throw away any item unless you have another one that is way superior.

10. May 25, 2017  
    @hellforge love the avatar.

Thanks again everyone, my mine concern was not necessarily to get BiS on everything pre-raid but i wanted to make sure that the ranking system on the list seemed accurate to those with more experience than myself.

based on the feedback it seems that the list is relatively accurate. I assumed it was, but what was throwing me off was the 2 handed weapon section, and the ranking of some pvp armor over some pieces i felt were better.

either way, it doesnt seem to be changing my priority route @ level 70. plus i got Braxxis' last night so I'm not quite as concerned about the weapon section now.

Side note: i also forgot about all the stat changes and that site links to current wowhead. Once i used an old 2.4.3 database to look up the items it made a lot more sense.