1. May 26, 2017  

Enhancement or Elemental for PVP?

Hey guys, looking to play a DPS Shaman, how were Enhancement and Elemental regarding PVP?

2. May 26, 2017  
    None is really that good in tbc pvp to be honest.
    Enha lacks mobility and control and will be kited more easily than othee melees. Against classes that don't want to kite as much (warrior, rogue) enha still has less tools and will be the one running around trying to catch up.
    Of course it has scary burst and is actually pretty fun to play, but it's not exactly strong compared to most other classes.
    In arena Enha is pretty much useless, it can perform decently with rogue, feral or resto druid, but still is a trash spec for arena purposes...

Elemental can have insane burst if left alone and free to cast, but they are also pretty easy to shut down.
    The only "viable" combos I've seen for Elementals in arena are Elem/Pompyro or Elem/DoublePom or double Elem/Pom or triple Elem. You get the point... pray the rng gods to one-shot an opponent and see what happens once you have a numerical advantage.

That being said both specs are fun in BGs and duels and if you like the class, go for it. Just be wary that you'll need to switch to resto to break any kind of significant rating. If rating isn't a goal in itself then you should stick to the spec you like !

3. May 27, 2017  
    Energeez's reply is on-point. ;)

Enh is not even a viable arena spec in TBC. It's only used for fun, outdoor PvP, and duels. If relies entirely on WF procs - if you get a WF proc, you MAY win; if you don't get a WF proc, you're absolutely useless, doing 1/3 the damage a rogue/warr/feral can do.

Ele is meh - kinda okay for BGs and double-DPS arena comps, but that's it. It's useless for DPS/heal comps because it literally only has 2 easily interruptable damage spells, Purge, and shocks. In other words, you have 0 pressure because you have to save your Earth Shock for interrupts and your LBolt/CL WILL get interrupted.

The real reason to roll a shaman on TBC is to play Resto, be that PvP or PvE. If that's not what you want, you've picked the wrong class. inb4 other people coming "hurrr durr enh/ele is good" - no, they're not. Your personal experience with/against bad players means 0. You'll never be top with any of these two specs with/against good players, neither in PvE nor in PvP, so I advise you to play them only if you really enjoy them and don't care about being a top performer.
    Edited: May 27, 2017

4. May 27, 2017  
    Obviously both specs are still enjoyable and the class gear looks pretty cool imo, so I too would advise playing shaman if you like the class, no matter what.

Just don't expect performing too well in pvp besides resto.
    On the plus side shamans of every spec are in quite high demand raid-wise due to numerous and valuable raid buffs.

5. May 27, 2017  
    inb4 other people coming "hurrr durr enh/ele is good" - no, they're not. Your personal experience with/against bad players means 0. You'll never be top with any of these two specs with/against good players, neither in PvE nor in PvP, so I advise you to play them only if you really enjoy them and don't care about being a top performer.
    Depends on how u difine "top performer".
    A EnH shami in a melee party that buffs everybody with WF totem, +10% ap and more, contributes probably more to the raid DPS than a fury warr even though his DPS on recount is lower.
    Its always the same old story of raw DPS classes vs supporter.

Would be awesome if recount would add the extra dps given by buffs, totems, etc to the actual buffer instead of the buffed person.
    In this case i guess that supporter would top the dps charts 24/7.
    Edited: May 27, 2017

6. May 27, 2017  
    Top in the DPS charts 24/7? Not with totems only affecting party members. I highly doubt that an Enh with all his buffs and 1.5k DPS does more overall than a Fury with 2.5k DPS.

I mean, I do enjoy playing Enh myself because it's actually a viable spec in TBC, compared to vanilla, and I appreciate the merits of the spec but the main reason it is picked in raids is for its buffs and totems, not its DPS. That's my point. Same goes for Ele and its Totem of Wrath. Meanwhile, Resto can give a lot of the things those two specs provide (totems, bloodlust) while also being a top healing spec. All things considered, I'd rate the 3 specs like this: Resto>>Enh>Ele.

7. May 28, 2017  
    Top in the DPS charts 24/7? Not with totems only affecting party members. I highly doubt that an Enh with all his buffs and 1.5k DPS does more overall than a Fury with 2.5k DPS.
    +10% ap, +100 strength, +88 agi, BL, WF totem and these are all unique buffs as far as i know.
    Thats easily a dps increasement of 20% for the entire melee party.
    In this case the EnH has to deal only like 1/5 of the Fury warrs dps to be equal beneficial for the raid.

8. May 28, 2017  
    +10% ap, +100 strength, +88 agi, BL, WF totem and these are all unique buffs as far as i know.
    Thats easily a dps increasement of 20% for the entire melee party.
    In this case the EnH has to deal only like 1/5 of the Fury warrs dps to be equal beneficial for the raid.
    Besides, enhancement and fury personal DPS numbers aren't even much different. Take a look at the following list (quite shortly after Kil'Jaeden going down so it's not total farm mode with intent of getting top DPS placement, and the use of WoL-style websites wasn't as prevalent during TBC to begin with so higher DPS probably was achieved but not recorded, but in a sense this might even produce more realistic numbers to typical progression raiding scenario). Enhancement is 400 some DPS short of glaive warriors, the difference would be lower for warriors without legendaries, and since fury probably is the better scaling spec, relative personal DPS difference is even less at lower gear levels (or hell, might even be favour of enha).

Spoiler: Show

But yes, 20% of melee group DPS being credited to enhancement probably is a reasonable, maybe even conservative, approximation for long fights (in fights with high bloodlust uptime it'd substantially more than that). Something like 10% when compared to melee group with restoration shaman (you lose agility, talented windfury and possibly talented SoE, 10% ap and one less lust for the raid). So enhancement without fury warrior would actually out-DPS fury warrior without a shaman and fury with restoration shaman just barely breaks even with enhancement (seeing as that personal DPS difference is about 13%). In terms of raid DPS, the only spec that's even in contention with melee group enhancement is the first shadow priest, and it's 150%-200% of that of fury.