1. June 6, 2017  

Why are Prot Warriors considered bad? not desired in PvE?

Hi,

I will start off by saying that I've played retail since 2008 till 2011.

I always thought that Lordaeron is a Blizzlike server where all classes work as intended as they did back in retail during Wotlk. I am extremely disappointed to find out that Prot Warriors are not viewed with good eyes on this server and I was wondering why one of the best tanks in Wotlk are considered bad or not up to par and somehow viewed as a handicapped spec in PvE?

Why? and is it the case for Lordaeron only or Icecrown too?

Thanks

2. June 6, 2017  
    They lack a talent similar to Ardent (pallies)/ Will of the Necropolis (dks) and can't compensate with ridiculous HP (bears). Another issue is that block, unlike HP, isn't buffed inside Icecrown Citadel (one of two relevant raids). Those things coupled with the worst 4pT10 for tanks in the expansion make it sub-par compared to the others.

That's not to say the class can't be played, but that it is simply weaker when it comes to face tanking your primary target. Otherwise warriors are good off-tanks because of their AoE stun and block.

http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=352313

This thread might also give you insight.

3. June 6, 2017  
    Dunno if there is some glaring issue on Lordaeron but Prot Warriors were extremely popular during WOTLK and a lot of relatively high end guilds got LK HC 10/25 down using a Prot Warrior main tank (even if they weren't the strongest tank, it wasn't such a relevant issue), if Prot is so bad that it has this reputation then it's either an issue with the server or some screwed up player perception issue.

4. June 6, 2017  
    Vanilla > prot war only viable option
    TBC > prot war mt except for bosses without crush
    Wotlk > people were used to play with prot war MT

This is a big part of the explanation I think.

5. June 7, 2017  
    The thing is that, Since every raid content is buffed. You are going for optimal tanks/dps/healers. Thats why there isn't a spot for protection warrior in end game gear content like ICC and RS. Probably there isn't anything wrong with it just you need specific classes for bosses.
    For example, LK(25man HC) is tankable only by bear tanks. On retail you could do it with Protpala, DK, druid.

6. June 7, 2017  
    For example, LK(25man HC) is tankable only by bear tanks.
    Where's this coming from?

7. June 7, 2017  
    If u just take and compare the talents, health, armor, on all 4 tanking classes (Paladin, DK, Feral, Warrior), u can see why warriors are not as good as other tanks.
    U have all that in the http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=352313&page=2 post, the one Rifokelt alrdy linked (edited that big comment a bit aswell).
    If u know how to read and use ur brain, u can spot some major diferences...

Warriors wer maybe good in previous patches on retail but when it comes to 3.3.5a tanking:
    Paladin > DK (DK > Paladin, depending on the role and raid comp) > Bear > Warrior.

Maybe they wer used for Intervene, Stuns, Sunder Armors... I doubt they wer picked cos they wer such survival awesomly well equiped tanks.

8. June 7, 2017  
    I haven't played Lord since Naxx was the end raid, it amazes me that they would attempt to make ICC more difficult when it was already tough enough that an incredible amount of guilds got stuck on Putricide Normal 25 (that's right, normal and not heroic) before they introduced the increasing raid buff. ICC (like Ulduar before it) was a pretty tough raid to begin with, unlike Naxx or TOTC Normal. TOTC Normal was easier than Naxx even.

As for Prot, people above are suggesting that Prot Warrior wasn't able to tank LK 25hc on retail? That is completely false because it did happen, there were no shortage of Warrior tanks successfully main tanking LK10/25hc despite the fact that Warrior was the weaker tank overall, it's really misleading to suggest otherwise.

9. June 7, 2017  
    because block scaling and how it sucks *** in icc, basically

10. June 8, 2017  
    The higher the boss damage gets, the worse a choice Prot warriors become. Content on Lordaron is buffed substantially so you'd want to maximise these things as best as possible. Prot warriors do have some niches but it's not things that are particularly helpful in any of the harder ICC encounters. The reason you see Bear + Prot Pally everywhere is because that's indeed what's most suitable for the harder fights. You're pairing best MT + best OT and it doesn't get a lot better than that, the bear/pally duo was overwhelmingly observed in most of the first LOD kills when this expansion was live. To swap either one of those classes for a Prot Warrior would be significantly gut your odds for a successful kill.

11. June 8, 2017  
    ****. Is it really that bad?
    I'm getting depressed, I just hit outlands yesterday with my Prot Warri and I plan to MT for my group of friends.
    Please don't tell me I have to level another character to succesfull tank progress (starting with Naxx, going to Ulduar, then ICC).

12. June 8, 2017  
    I'm getting depressed, I just hit outlands yesterday with my Prot Warri and I plan to MT for my group of friends.
    Please don't tell me I have to level another character to succesfull tank progress (starting with Naxx, going to Ulduar, then ICC).
    No, you don't have to. A Warrior tank is fully capable of clearing all contents the expansion has to offer. It may not be as good as another tank in a given situation, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable.

13. June 8, 2017  
    If u enjoy playing Prot Warrior and everything else is boring for u, keep doin what u are doin.
    U can tank as Prot Warrior, u will just get oneshoted from time to time... U can always blame the healers. :D

If u like Prot Paladin aswell (or a DK tank, or a Bear tank), i guess u can try to sell ur character for coins on market, and buy a paladin thats similar lvl...
    Or u can simply level again. :D

Overall, considering how Warmane comunity works, u might get left out of the raids as prot warrior tank.
    But again, if u find a nice guild, u might end up clearing everything from naxx to icc and rs.

Its up to u to decide.
    U can eather chose a hard way of tanking as a warrior, or a hard way of leveling a paladin.
    All up to u. :D

14. June 9, 2017  
    Okay, thanks for the info, Mercy, Gnimo, as I'm playing with RL-friends they don't have much choice to throw me out, ha!
    We'll deal with it somehow.