1. June 8, 2017  

Forced rename - reason?

Hi, I have (had) my lvl human female warlock lvl 70 for a couple of weeks now. Her name was "Ill", nice short nonoffensive, non-special-character nickname.
    Today my nickname was flagged for rename for no obvious reason. The best part, when I looked at armory, the nickname is beeing used by lvl 1 BE rogue.

http://armory.warmane.com/character/Ill/Outland/summary

Like come on. Wtf? Is this standard thing on this server? Well if it is, it can happen to anybody I guess. Is this your blizzlike experience?
    I don't know what happened, if someone paid money or some GM wants to use thist nickname, but this thing did make me reconsider playing here. It is just wrong.

If some GM had just contacted me, I would not have any problem renaming the character. You see - I am not angry about the renaming, I am angry about the principle of this incident.

I would like my nickname back please, or at least some good explanation from competent people what/why this happened.

Thanks.

2. June 8, 2017  
    I can't find anything on the forum about the rules for in-game character names.

But I do know that a combination of the "I" and "L" characters can produce very hard names to read and differentiate. This makes it extremely hard to report someone in-game. That's my guess on why they made you name change.

3. June 8, 2017  
    That's really weird...Never seen this happen before. First thing that popped into my head when I read your name was what people in Runescape used to do. Stakers specifically, or Pkers. They'd make names like illilliiil1il11, and it would be super hard to look up their stats.

4. June 8, 2017  
    I can't find anything on the forum about the rules for in-game character names.

But I do know that a combination of the "I" and "L" characters can produce very hard names to read and differentiate. This makes it extremely hard to report someone in-game. That's my guess on why they made you name change.
    Shift-right clicking their name and copying it works. Or use the %t variable in chat while targeting them to print out their names (and copy it from there).

5. June 8, 2017  
    I have the same problem ! My character had the name elywen when I joined the next day in the game I had to enter a new name for my character! I do not understand why. Other character in armory have name elywen but it is not my char.

6. June 8, 2017  
    This is really, really lame. Both of you had names that weren't offensive, forced to change, and now other toons have those names. That sounds like mod abuse and needs answered.

7. June 8, 2017  
    That's a good question how they could use your names. Maybe it depends on the server working this morning, so people could use an exploit/abuse of your names.

I wanna watch now, if I'm also concerned, because that would be really bad too.

8. June 8, 2017  
    Maybe when a name change is required the previous name is filled by a level 1 character so that you can't take that name again? If both the characters stay level 1 then I assume that's what happened.