1. June 9, 2017  

(Ret) how many agi items is too many (crit cap?)

Hi guys I'm playing ret paladin on lordaeron server and having some tough luck with drops.. I'm @ ~5300gs right now and 4 of my items are agi/ap altho recently i had like 5-6. I'm wondering how many would be too many --- sacrificing too much STR? Also related to this question is what's the cap for crit? I know at some point you get so geared crit starts losing its value and you start prioirtizing haste instead for the t10 2pc bonus (after hit, expertise, and STR obviously)
    Edited: June 9, 2017

2. The crit cap isn't something you should be too concerned about reaching. As for number of agility-based items, the recommendation is 4 (ring, belt, bracers, hands and/or cloak), but it can vary depending on how your gear set simulates (RAWR can be used to simulate your character's dps).

3. you can go for as many as 8 of them and you still wouldn't be close to the crit cap tho

4. Your point is? Still not something that should be worried about.

5. When it comes to crit cap, its not worth going for it... Even if u manage to reach it somehow, it will be a DPS lost, cos Major Item Slot Strength items are more valuable than Agility items (Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Gloves, Legs, Belt, Feet). Thats atleast from my point of view, mainly cos of [Divine Strength] talent.

Soft Crit Cap (All melee swings will be Critical hits):
    100% - 24% (Glancing Hits) = 76%, that is how much Crit u need as a Ret to reach soft Crit Cap.
    100% - 24% (Glancing Hits) - 8% (Melee Hit Cap) - 6.5% (Dodge Expertise Cap) = 61.5% Crit chance, if u decide not to cap Hit nor Expertise (something i wouldnt recomend doing)
    http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_strike Read the Crit Cap section to learn more about this...

As for agility items...

When it comes to Best in Slot gear, i found that 4 items are more than enough to reach nice amount of crit % raid buffed (60%):
    [Shadowvault Slayer's Cloak]
    [Umbrage Armbands]
    [Seal of Many Mouths]
    [Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance]
    If u want to squise more crit out of ur gear, u can go for:
    [Astrylian's Sutured Cinch] + [Ashen Band of Endless Might]
    over:
    [Coldwraith Links] + [Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance]
    In the end, it wont matter at this point cos it all goes to RNG. I tryed both builds, 60% crit and 65% crit chance, sometimes i did more crits with 60%, sometimes with 65% (talking about crit with special abilities: DS, CS, Judgment, ...), so i decided to get some extra Attack Power and Haste out of the gear rather than going for more Crit.
    U can also go for 5 agility items if u feel like thats gona imporve ur DPS. Again, it wont matter, and its a matter of personal preferences.

When it comes to gearing up stage and Strength VS Agility items, u have to compare the items urself...
    If agility item gives u more Gem Slots and more Secondary stats overall, u should go for Agility item.
    If strength item gives u more Gem Slots and more Secondary stats overall, u should go for Strength item.

Try to get good Strength items in those major slots (Helm, Shoulders, Chest, Gloves, Legs, Belt, Feet), T9 or T10, as for the other items (Neck, Cloak, Wrist, Rings), u can go full agility and still do some nice DPS.
    And when it comes to prio on stats, nothing of it will matter untill u are BiS. 10 more haste or 10 more crit wont make any diference when it comes to DPS.
    Focus on improving ur gameplay, items will come and go...

Try downloading addon called: CLCret, its awesome for when u get 2/5 and Tracking ur Spell CD and Weapon Swing Timer, without tunneling and watching ur bars too much. :D

Best of Luck.

6. Since you guys want to go in-depth on this, I think it's worth mentioning that not everyone donates for full best in slot. Some people do go through a gearing-up process, and as such, the best in slot list may serve as a general guide, but does not ultimately decide which items available to the person in question are the best.