1. Are tanks broken in LFG?

So lately on Icecrown, I've been getting into dungeons to find tanks that are just being really stupid.

Here's an example. A druid tank that was specc'd for feral tanking...but refused to use bear form. Instead, he was attempting to tank all of Slave Pens in cat form, as a level 59. Add on the fact that when I asked him nicely to swap over to bear form, his only response was "stfu :)". Once we wiped again, I told him he needed to either swap or I'd leave, and he told me, "**** off." and then abandoned.

Another one: Get thrown into Hell(fire Ramparts) with a level 58 Paladin. But guess what! That's right, you got it - he's Ret. Oh, and he had no idea what Righteous Fury is when I asked, and after we wiped on the first pull, he asked the Warrior dps to tank. So I asked him why he came in as a tank if he didn't want to, and he said, "so no wait get in". I promptly left.

I could go on...for days. But really, you just can't make this stuff up. I honestly get an average of one decent tank out of every 4 dungeons I attempt. So all I'm asking is, WHAT IS GOING ON with all the tanks being so...mentally defective lately?
    Edited: June 12, 2017

2. Yeah, there are some unlucky LFG groups where you get random oddities.

3. Yeah just dont do rdf at low levels unless you are an able tank

4. Queue with a friend? Find a warrior or paladin (no Druids) that is in tank specc say "Hey Lets queue up for RDF"! Queue and pray to god this guy knows what he is doing!

5. I had one druid tank last night arguing with me that swipe sucks for aoe pulls. I told him he probably brought that toon like an hour ago. lol

6. If your "tank" is a DPSer who neither wants to nor knows how to tank, then just kick them and find a proper tank. Yes, it will take a while, but it's better than having a mentally challenged DPSer playing like a headless chicken.

And yes, this is not a "tank" issue - it's a general issue. Most players are DPSers and most players are dumb - you just have to accept this. You didn't get dumb tanks - you got two DPSers who wanted fast dungeons, and didn't know how to and didn't want to tank anyway. Players know they will get invited if they queue as tanks, even if they don't know or don't want to tank. If someone queued as tank and they actually are a real tank, chances are they will know what to do quite well because tanks have the smallest margin for errors out of all 3 roles.

7. If your "tank" is a DPSer who neither wants to nor knows how to tank, then just kick them and find a proper tank. Yes, it will take a while, but it's better than having a mentally challenged DPSer playing like a headless chicken.

And yes, this is not a "tank" issue - it's a general issue. Most players are DPSers and most players are dumb - you just have to accept this. You didn't get dumb tanks - you got two DPSers who wanted fast dungeons, and didn't know how to and didn't want to tank anyway. Players know they will get invited if they queue as tanks, even if they don't know or don't want to tank. If someone queued as tank and they actually are a real tank, chances are they will know what to do quite well because tanks have the smallest margin for errors out of all 3 roles.
    I couldn't have said this better myself.

The only thing to add is that your title was misleading. Neither tanks nor tanking is broken. It's not a systemic bug, it's the players' malfunction.

Are you a healer by the way? If you are, my condolences.

Me advice is to find a tank - an actual, competent tank - and befriend him. If you are a healer, congrats! Instant dungeon queues for the rest of your levelling experience. At the very least you will know you're bot playing with "one of those."

8. So lately on Icecrown, I've been getting into dungeons to find tanks that are just being really stupid.

Here's an example. A druid tank that was specc'd for feral tanking...but refused to use bear form. Instead, he was attempting to tank all of Slave Pens in cat form, as a level 59. Add on the fact that when I asked him nicely to swap over to bear form, his only response was "stfu :)". Once we wiped again, I told him he needed to either swap or I'd leave, and he told me, "**** off." and then abandoned.

Another one: Get thrown into Hell(fire Ramparts) with a level 58 Paladin. But guess what! That's right, you got it - he's Ret. Oh, and he had no idea what Righteous Fury is when I asked, and after we wiped on the first pull, he asked the Warrior dps to tank. So I asked him why he came in as a tank if he didn't want to, and he said, "so no wait get in". I promptly left.

I could go on...for days. But really, you just can't make this stuff up. I honestly get an average of one decent tank out of every 4 dungeons I attempt. So all I'm asking is, WHAT IS GOING ON with all the tanks being so...mentally defective lately?
    https://youtu.be/xwPKJe1KJ1w?t=27m45s It's a wotlk RDF issue, it happened even on retail don't worry. I'd suggest watching the whole thing if you have the time.

9. Ive been tanking while leveling, been nice and even had a few groups queue with me again. No issues really, just got to tbc tho that could change things

10. Its cause people tick tank/heal/dps and than queue cause it will make the que pop faster and then they will leave after a wipe

it only happens on low lvl lfg but you still get the usual 6k ret pally who tries to tank heroics and then leaves

btw kicking aint happening and never will dont know why after like a year of it being broken people still suggest kicking.

11. Ive seen warmane do as they please on realms like blackrock ect, so what i was thinking, i see the game picks up if you spec into (say we take a paladin) prot or holy or ret. Cant warmane set up a system which takes that info and allows you to choose whatever role it is you specced into?

And for those with duel spec, it can pick up on that too, (yes then there is a problem of gear) i geuss it would be better then to spec your role before queing, like if you tank you change to prot and que. Vice versa.

Maby its not blizzlike but atleast it will make things abit more enjoyable?

12. As a tank I experience the same problem with DPS and healers.

Since I'm still levelling and don't have that much benefit from the XP (especially when you wipe once), I've decided to completely stop doing instances until I'm level 70.

Bear in mind even on retail these problems occurred.

13. As some have already said, it's a human problem - and not one that's unique to this game, either.

A large percentage of people joining RDF just want emblems. They want everybody over geared, and want to sleep walk their way through a random dungeon in 10 minutes for those EoFs (or EoTs, I suppose), without doing any work (target marking, crowd control, focus fire, etc).

So some of the time, you get fake tanks to shortcut the wait, which just ends up in one or more wipes, disbanding, and a longer wait for everybody.

Other times, you get keyboard heroes playing DPS, who berate any tank not chain pulling while taking zero damage and maintaining 100 percent aggro.

Then there's the folks who think that healers have an infinite mana bar, and can handle half the dungeon in a single pull. (And then blame the healer when people die.)

But my personal favorite? Those special individuals who queue, just to stay outside the instance, or remain completely AFK.

It's several varieties of people being lazy and/or unreasonable. And it happens in every MMO out there.

I tend to roll tanks, but I also have an ignore list that receives regular updates via RDF goofballs. YMMV, but good luck, and if you want a decent tank that would rather work as a group than placate egos for a 3 minute speed run (or any of several other types of nonsense), PM me, and maybe we can run heroics together here and there.

14. Just dps who queue tank for a quick pop. Your examples are sub 80 dungeons so I'm assuming this is what is happening.

12 Last