1. 0) If you know its going to be a difficult pull. Range pull it then Bloodrage then Commanding Shout on all 5 member, it will give you a small headstart in case your healer have a death wish and has prehotted you
    1) Thunderclap as soon as possible
    2) Stun the focus on your 2nd GCD, and have your dps go all out during stun
    3) While focus is stun spread your threat on big hitters (Cleavers / Melees mobs) you spam Thunderclap as soon as up and spam Devastate + Cleave tabbing (more rage worthy than Shield Slam in case you get missed / miss a lot) them. You dont need a lot of threat on all of them, just enough so your healer do not get targeted.
    Such a long post in case it gets bad right from the start.

- If you wanna have any hopes of keeping aggro, you'll be using Battle Shout.
    - NO GROUP EVER has waited for my Bloodrage cooldown before pull.
    - Thunder Clap does less threat than a single Flash Heal, Flash of Light, or Lesser Healing Wave
    - 1) I need rage in order to stun the target. 2) It would be far better to Shield Slam it instead. 3) At the end of the stun I won't have aggro because no hits, no Revenge, no Shield Slam, no nothing. So now I have to use Taunt because of your advice.
    - Devastate + Cleave tabbing? So you sit at 100 rage all the time? Are we playing the same game?

Your pieces of advice are all with good intention but bad grounding. What you said would work perfectly on WotLK, but on TBC it would fail before it even started, and then it would fail again on every single step you described.

2. The scripts regarding threat are okay. You even have some players who manage to do perfectly fine things with prot warriors. Which means it's possible. This class is not for those who give up quickly, that's all.

3. Such a long post in case it gets bad right from the start.

- If you wanna have any hopes of keeping aggro, you'll be using Battle Shout.
    - NO GROUP EVER has waited for my Bloodrage cooldown before pull.
    - Thunder Clap does less threat than a single Flash Heal, Flash of Light, or Lesser Healing Wave
    - 1) I need rage in order to stun the target. 2) It would be far better to Shield Slam it instead. 3) At the end of the stun I won't have aggro because no hits, no Revenge, no Shield Slam, no nothing. So now I have to use Taunt because of your advice.
    - Devastate + Cleave tabbing? So you sit at 100 rage all the time? Are we playing the same game?

Your pieces of advice are all with good intention but bad grounding. What you said would work perfectly on WotLK, but on TBC it would fail before it even started, and then it would fail again on every single step you described.
    Feel free not to trust but I have very rarely have had issue tanking using this. Remember that you cant except a different result if you are always doing the same thing.

Fyi, Im specced with imp. Thunderclap, and this advice was for multiple mobs packs, you shouldnt have issue protecting your group on one or two mobs with 3 taunts and 2 stun.

The only thing battle shout doea is increasing your white hit and revenge (vengeance?) damage by a small amount. Id rather have more hp on my group in case something goes wrong

4. I have Imp Thunderclap as well. Everyone has it. Not because it helps with aggro, but because it increases the attack speed reduction to 20%. Or are you going to argue that +40 dmg on Thunderclap is the gamebreaker here? Come on...

Warriors have 1 stun on a moderate cooldown, which can be evaded, 1 false taunt on a moderate cooldown, which can be evaded, 1 true taunt on a short cooldown, which can be resisted, and 1 AoE false taunt on a long cooldown, which can be resisted. I don't know where you see 3 taunts and 2 stuns.

The only thing Commanding Shout does is increase your health pool, which implies that you're afraid of dying, and your group's health pool, which implies that you're afraid of losing aggro, which implies that you DO have aggro issues after all, which means you should be using Battle Shout instead. While Shield Slam does not scale from your attack power, everything else does.

Simple logic.

5. Thunderclap is all but useless for AE tanking, it's snap aggro on the pull and otherwise just a damage reduction. It wasn't until LK at least that thunderclap generated any significant threat.

You need to tab target like a maniac and you need to use cleave. Cleave, like Heroic Strike, is very good threat.

There's some good advice in this thread already, but just to emphasise a few things:

- Abuse taunt. Let DPS pull aggro on skull while you build threat on other targets and then taunt it back for free threat.

- Use your stun, use your fear, but be careful. Pull in such a way that you won't pull more if you fear something. Use LoS.

- Use intercept and intervene. Warrior is mobile, don't waddle around like a Paladin.

- Use spell reflect. If you have a mob at range that you can't get into melee, reflect a spell for good threat. Won't work if you don't have aggro so you need to do it on the pull.

BC warrior trash tanking is an amazing challenge and it's definitely doable but you need to work hard. Feels good when you pull off a Shattered Halls run with minimal CC. Revel in the chaos and take responsibility for the pulls. DPS will always do the wrong thing, deal with it. :)

6. What about the 2% threat to hands from Sha'tar rep, (enchanting prof)?

the wotlk version did my war prot much good, rarely had trouble with threat.

Not sure if the tbc enchant is as good though. guess we'll find out!

7. i have pre raid bis tank warr and never struggled vs pack of mobs.

first of all use CC: this is not ****** legion where you spam 1 button and hold aggro for some mystical blessing. Traps/sheeps/shackle udead etc are useful here.
    2) if unter in party a quick aggro gain at inc is : Hunter misdirect you>charge>go def stance>thunderclap>demo shout>deva spam tabbing. this way i never lost aggro. If no hunter available ask dps to dps a single target by marking him in the first 10 seconds while you spam thunderclap and demo shout to build aggro. once you got 3k aggro they can aoe no problem.

it just takes some time to get used to war tanking in tbc and vanilla.
    What about the 2% threat to hands from Sha'tar rep, (enchanting prof)?
    pathetic, better get str enchant which increase your block value. 2% is nothng and in theory you should spec defiance with warrior
    i think you misunderstand.
    once you had the thunderclap +shout combo , if you charged at inc, you can use bloodrage in that moment to start evastating. alternatively you can buy a level 30 potion called RAGE POTION which gives you 30 to 60 rage adallow you to tabspam devastate because in meantime mobs are aggroing you.

simple as that. think outside the box

8. i think you misunderstand.
    once you had the thunderclap +shout combo , if you charged at inc, you can use bloodrage in that moment to start evastating. alternatively you can buy a level 30 potion called RAGE POTION which gives you 30 to 60 rage adallow you to tabspam devastate because in meantime mobs are aggroing you.

simple as that. think outside the box
    Bloodrage is only a option if you have enough time between two groups.
    Rage Potion realy? First off potion got a cd and second who uses potion on every trash group in a trash dungeon?

Only real solution is to find DDs with brain who know how to cc and single target dps. There is no need to pop all cds and potion for trash if the group knows what to do.

9. Bloodrage is only a option if you have enough time between two groups.
    Rage Potion realy? First off potion got a cd and second who uses potion on every trash group in a trash dungeon?

Only real solution is to find DDs with brain who know how to cc and single target dps. There is no need to pop all cds and potion for trash if the group knows what to do.
    i said in the case he still is not keeping aggro. personally i used rage potion only in vanilla from level 10 about to level 40 then when i had my loyal shield slam my aggro skyrocketed :D

btw in tbc you need cooperation of dps aswell. if 3 dps start spam aoe brainlessly is their fault, not yours.
    In case of a hunter in aoe pulls you can charge>tc>misdirection on you>volley and multishot. you will never lose aggro aoe that way :D

First 123