1. CL_Fix - Combat Log fix

Hello there!

I was fed up having to use a macro to clear my combat log all the time to "fix" my damage meter, so I made a very simple addon that does it for me.
    It saves me a actionbar slot and the hassle to even click the macro.

You can download the addon in the link below:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?xd53775sfw0h5s0

You can change the timer in the CL_Fix.lua file, there is no /-command (didnt bother :p)

2. While there are already some AddOns to fix this issue, you did a nice job.

Wise use of a OnUpdate throttle and clean code.

3. While there are already some AddOns to fix this issue, you did a nice job.

Wise use of a OnUpdate throttle and clean code.
    Thanks mate, appreciated!
    I'm kinda new to Lua programming, you wouldn't happen to know any good sites that are more in-depth in how the WoW UI works? :)

4. I'm kinda new to Lua programming, you wouldn't happen to know any good sites that are more in-depth in how the WoW UI works? :)
    There is a book called "World of Warcraft Programming". If you are interested exactly in UI then it's the best resource I found. The book has over 1000 pages and it has many examples and explanations.

There is also a site related to the book ( http://wowprogramming.com/ ) and Wowwiki has some useful information ( http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/WoW_AddOn ) but those focus more on WoW Lua API not on UI.

5. There is a book called "World of Warcraft Programming". If you are interested exactly in UI then it's the best resource I found. The book has over 1000 pages and it has many examples and explanations.

There is also a site related to the book ( http://wowprogramming.com/ ) and Wowwiki has some useful information ( http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/WoW_AddOn ) but those focus more on WoW Lua API not on UI.
    Thanks alot!
    Gotta get my hands on that book now :D

6. Is there a certain point in uploading a copy of CombatLogFix by Shadowed to GitHub?

@ gmadtehm4d :

Actually, I wouldn't recommend that book a lot these days because it quite some money and some parts of it are a bit dated.
    (e.g., you wouldn't use .xml anymore except for library inclusion and SecureFrame templates)

But on the other hand it's a good start and James(aka. Cladhaire) is one of the nicest persons I worked with since Classic/TBC.

7. Is there a certain point in uploading a copy of CombatLogFix by Shadowed to GitHub?
    I'm not an author
    And this is a completely different code

8. I'm not an author
    And this is a completely different code
    I was asking because the one in the Git is an exact copy of the original by Shadowed

APART from the first line

original:
    Code:
    local LogFixer = select(2, ...)
    (using the local table each AddOns gets provided by the Client)

Git version:
    Code:
    local LogFixer = CreateFrame("Frame", "DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME", UIParent);
    Creating an unneeded frame that is named after a global variable that is used by the chat system...
    A really foolish thing to do.

TL,DR:
    Basically the Git version is just a copy with a line modified that can potencially screw the chat system and any AddOn that wants to utilize the global variable DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME before it is updated by the chat system.
    Edited: June 29, 2017

9. I was asking because the one in the Git is an exact copy of the original by Shadowed

APART from the first line

original:
    Code:
    (using the local table each AddOns gets provided by the Client)

Git version:
    Code:
    local LogFixer = CreateFrame("Frame", "DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME", UIParent);
    Creating an unneeded frame that is named after a global variable that is used by the chat system...
    A really foolish thing to do.

TL,DR:
    Basically the Git version is just a copy with a line modified to screw the chat system and any AddOn that wants to utilize the global variable DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME.
    Code:
    Doesn't work in TBC. You don't get global enviroment variables.
    In 2012, I just took Shadowed's version and tried to make it compatible with TBC. I logged what the first line of code actually did on a 3.3.5 server and replicated it to the best of my (back then) ability.

It also doesn't actually mess up DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME, it inherits from it, iirc

10. Code:
    Doesn't work in TBC. You don't get global enviroment variables.
    In 2012, I just took Shadowed's version and tried to make it compatible with TBC. I logged what the first line of code actually did on a 3.3.5 server and replicated it to the best of my (back then) ability.

The local addon name and table might not exists in TBC, but the only thing you need to do is to change it to
    Code:
    local LogFixer = {}
    to have a local table.
    Or you can create the frame at the beginning instead of line 99 and point to it, e.g. by
    Code:
    local LogFixer = CreateFrame("Frame")
    local frame, instanceType, lastEvent = LogFixer
    - - and comment out / delete line 99 ( frame = CreateFrame("Frame") )

1. The second argument to CreateFrame is name,
    Code:
    frame = CreateFrame("frameType" [, "name" [, parent [, "template"]]]
    http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api/CreateFrame

2. Why would you inherit a simple table or event frame from a ChatFrame? It a totally different type of frame.
    (And DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME is a global ChatFrame variable that is provided for AddOns to output in/get the current default chat frame and you should never interfere in such a way with default variables and frames).

I did not intend to speak down on you in any way.
    It's just that the approach is 'amateurish' and way to complex. (Which I do understand as this was actually an amateur giving it a try.
    Which I appreciate. It's just not the right way.)

I don't want to be harsh on you, I want to point out unnecessary or possibly harmful coding practices / errors.

All I'm saying is: Change it to the proper way, please.

You contributions are appreciated a lot!
    Edited: June 29, 2017

11. The local addon name and table might not exists in TBC, but the only thing you need to do is to change it to
    Code:
    local LogFixer = {}
    to have a local table.
    Or you can create the frame at the beginning instead of line 99 and point to it, e.g. by
    Code:
    local LogFixer = CreateFrame("Frame")
    local frame, instanceType, lastEvent = LogFixer
    - - and comment out / delete line 99 ( frame = CreateFrame("Frame") )

1. The second argument to CreateFrame is name,
    Code:
    frame = CreateFrame("frameType" [, "name" [, parent [, "template"]]]
    http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api/CreateFrame

2. Why would you inherit a simple table or event frame from a ChatFrame? It a totally different type of frame.
    (And DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME is a global ChatFrame variable that is provided for AddOns to output in/get the current default chat frame and you should never interfere in such a way with default variables and frames).

I did not intend to speak down on you in any way.
    It's just that the approach is 'amateurish' and way to complex. (Which I do understand as this was actually an amateur giving it a try.
    Which I appreciate. It's just not the right way.)

I don't want to be harsh on you, I want to point out unnecessary or possibly harmful coding practices / errors.

All I'm saying is: Change it to the proper way, please.

You contributions are appreciated a lot!
    Make a pull request at his repo with the right changes then :)