1. Are hunters allowed to name their pet the same as themselves?

I've encountered a few hunters in arenas naming their pet the same as their own name or the same as one of their partners.
    This causes arena targeting addons & nameplate addons to mess up.

is this against the rules or not?

2. I use to name my pet after the maintank... and bring him along furing aq40 BWL and Nax... God those were good days

3. @OP

Yes it's legit and it's a sadistic/****ty thing to do but you can easily deal with it

4. I've encountered a few hunters in arenas naming their pet the same as their own name or the same as one of their partners.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/01/01/...aming-exploit/

personally i think people who do that need to get his arena team deleted and get 5d ban.its clear exploit and only reason they do that is to bug gladdy nameplates addons.as we know almost everyone use keybinds to targer/focus in arena.naming the pet over someone in your team will make people target the pet not the player half of the time.its the same as having 2 people in arena with same name.
    Edited: June 26, 2017

5. This has never been considered an exploit. Addons aren't built into the game's core so tricking them has nothing to do with exploiting the game. Addons only interpret the information fed to them.

6. then don't use the addon, working as intended.

7. This has never been considered an exploit. Addons aren't built into the game's core so tricking them has nothing to do with exploiting the game. Addons only interpret the information fed to them.
    Except is also bugs /target and even /targetexact macros, which is why a link was posted detailing a blue post that Blizzard's official statement was they were cracking down on those people. In fact, there are some old AJ/MMO-Champion threads saying people had to force-rename or were banned for 24h.

Stop being butthurt that peopld don't want to deal with you and your ****ty exploits.

8. Never had a problem with naming pets as yourself on retail, all hunters were doing it and Blizzard wouldnt ban them all.

9. Are hunters allowed to name their pet the same as themselves?
    Yes, they are allowed.

No, it's not against the rules.

If you are playing against the Hunter doing that and you are the one that can't target, learn to target. If you are playing in the same team as the Hunter or if you are the Hunter having problems targeting your partner that has the same name as your pet you can use Party2 in the macros instead of the name of your partner, in case it's the same name as your pet.

Addons are made to help people, in this case, the addons you use help the Hunter. Just get better addons or get better at playing the game.

It could be considered an "exploit" of the addons, but the addons are not related to the Server or Realm and you can't get banned for using OR "misusing" addons.

10. Yes, they are allowed.

No, it's not against the rules.

If you are playing against the Hunter doing that and you are the one that can't target, learn to target. If you are playing in the same team as the Hunter or if you are the Hunter having problems targeting your partner that has the same name as your pet you can use Party2 in the macros instead of the name of your partner, in case it's the same name as your pet.

Addons are made to help people, in this case, the addons you use help the Hunter. Just get better addons or get better at playing the game.

It could be considered an "exploit" of the addons, but the addons are not related to the Server or Realm and you can't get banned for using OR "misusing" addons.
    first of all you dont know is it allowed or not is.we will have to wait for mod or staff member post to say anything about that.

even if you dont use addons it can still bug out if you have targeting macro for the player.or if you use blizzard nameplates you see x2 red nameplates with same name.i thing we can put this in same category as ninja looting.if ninja looting is bannable why not this one as well?
    Edited: June 27, 2017

11. first of all you dont know is it allowed or not is.we will have to wait for mod or staff member post to say anything about that.

even if you dont use addons it can still bug out if you have targeting macro for the player.or if you use blizzard nameplates you see x2 red nameplates with same name.i thing we can put this in same category as ninja looting.if ninja looting is bannable why not this one as well?
    Ninja looting is stealing, and name your pet after a player to deceive the enemy isn't stealing. Not the same category. I also don't think it should be banable to name your pet anything, as long as it's not racist or anything like that. It's your fault if you target the pet instead of the player. git gud

12. Well to be honest my main is hunter.i never use the name exploit but other hunters do all the time vs me so...if its really not bannable i guess i will have to start doing it as well.

13. @OP

Yes it's legit and it's a sadistic/****ty thing to do but you can easily deal with it
    Yeah that's the truth sadly..