1. Protection Paladin what Professions?

I'm thinking of Mining and Blacksmithing, my friend is going Jewelcrafting too.

I want to do PVE of course, as Protection.

I am currently levelling, so I picked up enchanting and tailoring, not too far into them though.

So should I go learn BS and Mining?

2. BS is better for DPS than tanking. Engineering is nice for the helm. Enchanting is nice for the ring enchants.

3. Yes, as Prot main you don't really need BS. There are mainly weapons, and currently there's like one item (boots from SSC) which is a bind on pickup item. The rest can be crafted by other blacksmiths and there's not that much prot gear to craft anyway (bracer, felsteel set, later maybe belt from SSC).

Engineering seems like the best choice. There's BiS head item, but also for the Poultryizer/Rocket Launcher, which is a +45 stamina trinket. You can use grenades to increase your AoE threat output, but that might be costly. And there are some niche items to get like the Force Reactive Disk.

As Chaoren2 said, Enchanting will give you ring enchants and you can craft spell damage oils, which are a must to keep your threat in raids. But you can buy the oils from AH too.

Alchemy is also a good alternative. It comes with +15 all stats / +40% potion effect bonus trinket, which is a decent trinket until you find something better. Prot pallys always run out of mana fast, so if you can keep a healthy mana pot supply and chug them on cooldown, it will drastically speed up your instance clearing times.

4. I went JS to craft my own +12 stam gems and there is a nice trinket at 370 skill almsot as good as Moroes Lucky Pocket Watch. Also there is a +18 stam BOP gem you can craft with exalted Lower City.

Prolly not the best choice SOLELY for self gearing but I was also doing it for profits as well.