Maekar

Warlock leveling guide.

Hey guys I couldn't find any leveling guides for TBC warlocks so I decided to come here and open a thread.
    I was wondering which spec should I level with and what's the rotation I should be using?
    Thanks

2. plow through affliction
    get spellpower items (suffix items, mostly), int/spirit/stamina are all useless

3. Demonology is a great leveling spec, something like this: http://armory.twinstar.cz/talent-cal...10000000000000 (Felguards eat mana like crazy, I skipped Mana Feed and really regret that decision. If I wasn't planning on completely speccing out of Demonology shortly I'd respec into Mana feed asap.)

As far as leveling goes, I just downloaded a map addon like Atlas Maps or Cartographer from here: http://tbcwowaddons.weebly.com/ and quested in zones that matched my level. The map addon will change the name to things like "Azshara [45-55]." This isn't necessarily the fastest way to level, but it works and 5x experience means there really isn't a slow way to level.

I didn't worry about gear until I hit Outlands. Then I searched for item level 81-100 Cloth here: https://tbc-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?items=4.1#0-2+1p and focused on the quests that would give me the gear I needed. Most slots can be filled in Hellfire Peninsula, but you have to go to Zangarmarsh for wrists, feet and gloves, I think. I'm on this step right now. (Narrow the search down to specific pieces and just blues and greens to make it more manageable.)

After I get all of my slots filled with Outlands gear (except maybe shoulders) I'll change my spec to Affliction and start running dungeons. But those are personal choices since I don't want to babysit my demon in dungeons and instances are my favorite part of the game. Demonology's a great spec for running dungeons (just make sure to turn off your pet's taunt), it's just not the playstyle I prefer.

4. just no demo sucks too hard until you get your lategame talents, affl is pure money starting with suppression

5. Akerlof, your entire gear-up strategy is flawed. You don't sit in Noobfire Peninsula until you hit 70. After running Ramparts and BF and doing the Arazzius quest-line, you really have no reason to overstay in that zone. You're not going to get good items, you're not going to level up more quickly. You have to do the quest-lines in Shadowmoon Valley and Netherstorm anyway - for the pre-raid BiS items, the gold, the reputation, and the attunements. Sitting in Hellfire and doing 60lvl quests for 60lvl XP and 60lvl greens/blues is nonsense.

And if you think I'm going to take you into 70lvl dungeons like Shadow Labyrinth, Steamvaults or Shattered Halls because you "worked so hard to get Outland greens", then you're wrong. The difference between pre-raid BiS and Hellfire greens is enormous. Your first job after hitting 70, if you haven't done that already, is doing the above-mentioned quest-lines in the high-level zones while doing mid-level dungeons, then work on that BM attunement, then start working on the Kara attunement. You'll be Kara-ready in days, literally.

Otherwise, if you follow your current way of gearing, it might take weeks, maybe even more than a month, until you get ready for heroics or Kara. For that same amount of time, I have already leveled two 70s, with one being Kara-ready while the other one is T5-ready.
    Edited: August 7, 2017

6. Don't listen to them, I saw many people make the mistake to start off with Suppression or Demonic embrace. Worthless talents, let me tell you why, the only spell from affliction tree that matters if you miss is Unstable Affliction. You missed a Corruption. so what? Cast it again instantly. And the other one is useless too. Increases your total Stamina by 15%, how much stamina you have at level 15->30, 50->100 stamina? So you get 7->15 more stamina. That's nothing.

You need to get talents that matter. Start off with Improved Corruption to make it instant cast, then go into Improved Life Tap, and Soul Siphon. Get your Amplify Curse and Improved Curse of Agony, finish your Drain Soul (I would pick something else if I could because this talent is kinda useless for me). After this get the bread and butter of Affliction: Nightfall. After this get the Empowered Corruption into Siphon Life (another key spell that you need to rush in this tree). Right now there are so many bad talents I go for Suppression into Shadow Mastery. Get Contagion after and fill out 5 points in Shadow Embrace because there is nothing else to get and Unstable Affliction.

Next tree is Demonology, get Demonic Embrace because there is nothing good in that tree at first. Fel Intellect and a few Improved Voidwalker points (I never needed this talent, my Voidwalker never loses aggro) then Fel Domination / Fel Stamina into Master Summoner.

Now let me explain why I skipped some talents. I didn't take Fel Concentration because I never drain tank. Is mostly a PvP talent but you won't need it that much because you are already strong enough, Soul stone, Health Stone, Potion of health, Voidwalker sacrifice. Also you got fear when you want to drain. This is also mostly used for the Succubus drain tank leveling spec. Which is amazing for farming at low levels but you get in trouble if you aggro more then one mob. I didn't took Grim Reach because what's the point? I mean you are closer to loot the mob and I don't see a use for it, my range was fine. Dark Pact, I actually took this talent but it was useless, I mean my Voidwalker was always out of mana and I never used it.

Your rotation is mostly Curse of Agony, Corruption, Siphon Life, Unstable Affliction, Immolate, wand. Keep all time at least 3 Soul Shards in your bags in case of a gank and you can also do a trick to get a little more mana, Life tap -> drain life or use drain mana when you can. Drain soul also gives mana but is annoying because it fills your bags. Also, always resummon the voidwalker when he is <10% hp, it costs less hp then to heal it with Health Funnel.
    Edited: August 7, 2017

7. i was about to say that anything more than 2/5 suppression's a waste (gcd) but then i remembered pushbacks

draintanking only works if you have a significant amount of spellpower

8. Akerlof, your entire gear-up strategy is flawed. You don't sit in Noobfire Peninsula until you hit 70. After running Ramparts and BF and doing the Arazzius quest-line, you really have no reason to overstay in that zone.
    Woah woah woah! I had no intention to imply staying in HFP for longer than necessary. I said "After I get all of my slots filled with Outlands gear (except maybe shoulders) I'll change my spec to Affliction and start running dungeons." <after editing in the correct copy paste that's what I said> Meaning that I'm doing as few quests in HFP as possible to get some gear. Seriously, when I hit 60 I was still using the staff I got in Wetlands and most of the rest of my gear was mageweave stuff that a guildy made for me. I'm not going to run Ramparts in that any more than I'm going to run Shadow Labs in HFP greens.

Yeah I'll hit Netherstorm and SMV in time because I need that gear for the level 70 dungeons. But I'll also be running the level 60-63, then the 63-66 dungeons on the way there. But I need a baseline of gear before that, I don't want to be hitting SMV at 67 while I'm still wearing Level 40 Mageweave gloves or something.
    Edited: August 8, 2017

9. mageweave gloves are actually good tho

Maekar
    Don't listen to them, I saw many people make the mistake to start off with Suppression or Demonic embrace. Worthless talents, let me tell you why, the only spell from affliction tree that matters if you miss is Unstable Affliction. You missed a Corruption. so what? Cast it again instantly. And the other one is useless too. Increases your total Stamina by 15%, how much stamina you have at level 15->30, 50->100 stamina? So you get 7->15 more stamina. That's nothing.

You need to get talents that matter. Start off with Improved Corruption to make it instant cast, then go into Improved Life Tap, and Soul Siphon. Get your Amplify Curse and Improved Curse of Agony, finish your Drain Soul (I would pick something else if I could because this talent is kinda useless for me). After this get the bread and butter of Affliction: Nightfall. After this get the Empowered Corruption into Siphon Life (another key spell that you need to rush in this tree). Right now there are so many bad talents I go for Suppression into Shadow Mastery. Get Contagion after and fill out 5 points in Shadow Embrace because there is nothing else to get and Unstable Affliction.

Next tree is Demonology, get Demonic Embrace because there is nothing good in that tree at first. Fel Intellect and a few Improved Voidwalker points (I never needed this talent, my Voidwalker never loses aggro) then Fel Domination / Fel Stamina into Master Summoner.

Now let me explain why I skipped some talents. I didn't take Fel Concentration because I never drain tank. Is mostly a PvP talent but you won't need it that much because you are already strong enough, Soul stone, Health Stone, Potion of health, Voidwalker sacrifice. Also you got fear when you want to drain. This is also mostly used for the Succubus drain tank leveling spec. Which is amazing for farming at low levels but you get in trouble if you aggro more then one mob. I didn't took Grim Reach because what's the point? I mean you are closer to loot the mob and I don't see a use for it, my range was fine. Dark Pact, I actually took this talent but it was useless, I mean my Voidwalker was always out of mana and I never used it.

Your rotation is mostly Curse of Agony, Corruption, Siphon Life, Unstable Affliction, Immolate, wand. Keep all time at least 3 Soul Shards in your bags in case of a gank and you can also do a trick to get a little more mana, Life tap -> drain life or use drain mana when you can. Drain soul also gives mana but is annoying because it fills your bags. Also, always resummon the voidwalker when he is <10% hp, it costs less hp then to heal it with Health Funnel.
    Hey man thanks a lot for your response, you sure as hell helped me a lot.
    I would like to address a few questions that popped during my leveling.
    1)Are there any good professions I should pick why I level?
    2)As I progress, does my rotation change since I acquire new spells(like Unstable Afflication)?
    3)Should I replace my VW with the Felhunter or any other pet?
    4)Regarding the talents, could you please specify the exact amount of points I should put on each talents in the Aff tree?
    Thanks a lot :)

11. Hey man thanks a lot for your response, you sure as hell helped me a lot.
    I would like to address a few questions that popped during my leveling.
    1)Are there any good professions I should pick why I level?
    2)As I progress, does my rotation change since I acquire new spells(like Unstable Afflication)?
    3)Should I replace my VW with the Felhunter or any other pet?
    4)Regarding the talents, could you please specify the exact amount of points I should put on each talents in the Aff tree?
    Thanks a lot :)
    1) Tailoring is great as a Warlock because you can make some pretty nifty gear while levelling. Especially the Shadoweave set (which can be worn around level 45) is great for Affliction because it has tons of Shadow damage. Tailoring has very good raiding gear as well at level 70 so it's a must have really. Enchanting goes well with it but you could grab any gathering profession as well.
    2) Yes, once you get Siphon Life you will want to use it, it's really really good. UA is great if you can cast it when nothing is beating on you. If a mob is beating on you the cast time will become a lot longer... might not be worth it then.
    3) No. Voidy is the only pet that will keep aggro. Felhunter is something you might use if you're being ganked by Mages all the time but that's about it.
    4) This is entirely up to you. Affliction has excellent talents for efficiency. Look at Improved Drain Soul for example, most people skip that talent but I love it. If a mob dies while you Drain Soul it you get 15%!!! of your max mana back. This saves you time Lifetapping and having to Drain Life stuff to get the lost HP back. IMO it's a must have for multimobbing (and if you get the addon ForteXorcist it will destroy any Soul Shards past a set maximum so you don't have to bother!). Personally I always prefer to just get 41 points in Affliction and then continue down the Demo tree for added survivability, but Affliction has so many great talents that sometimes you don't want to choose between them and pick them all... it's all down to your preference.

12. levelling any professions while levelling is usually both a waste of time and gold, you're better off purchasing good boes off the ah

also, i feel like fh is better than vw (suffers from the lack of glyph tho), but it requires you to know what to do with the dispel and the spelllock, if you aren't an experienced warlock player i'd suggest you to stick with the vw tho, far easier to use