1. A Viable Multi-Purpose Prot-Ret?

I've recently been fooling around on my own personal testing server, and have come to like the idea of a Prot-Ret pally. But I'm not too sure it meets ALL of my goals/aims here. So I'm inquiring with the collective community here.

I want a class that can mainly dps and heal, so Paladin, Priest, Shammy, or Druid. I want to be able to solo 5-mans up to Wrath, so this limits me to Pally, based on my skills.

Spec 1 is going to be a healing spec, and spec 2 is my [hopefully] multi-purpose spec.

So, long-ish story short, is it possible to build the following into 1 spec:

~Prot-Ret
    ~Mainly PVE oriented, but...
    ~CASUAL World PVP/City PVP and BG's
    ~Mainly focus on DPS but be able to switch into a tank (and heal) roll should the tank (or healer) die (if both die, well, we're probably screwed unless others swap mid-battle as well)

What would the gear look like, and the talents? I'm thinking a balance between Stamina and DPS, Half Tier 10 for each, and a main focus on the prot tree, but open to suggestions.

Thanks!

2. If u want to solo 5 man dungeons then blood DK comes into mind. Thats the best class to solo stuff due to the high self heals.

Prot paly can fulfill the role of a tank and of a dps when in ret gear.
    There is no way that u can heal anybody well except urself as a prot paly.

A hybrid spec of prot and ret shouldn't be good because u need the talent to get sp from str or ap which is deep in the prot or ret tree.

I don't think there is a way to fulfill the role of tank, dps and heal at the same time.
    Beeing tank and Dps at the same time however works. Prot paly and prot warr are both good in that when using a mix of Dps and tank gear.
    Edited: August 12, 2017

3. ret is better at dungeon tanking/soloing than prot tbh

4. I also wanted to do exactly what you wanted to do, but unfortunately its not possible to be able to viably tank and viably dps in one single spec as a paladin. You can't tank lvl 80 heroic dungeon bosses or raid bosses as a prot-ret because of defense rating, you need 540 to not get one shotted by the boss. And to reach that 540 defense you need to equip most of your slots with tank gear, which means your dps gear will only be about 2-3 pieces and non-existant, at this point you might as well go full tank gear.
    On the other hand, if you decide to equip mostly dps oriented gear with a one hand weapon and shield then your dps will be severely lacking because Blizzard designed one handed weapons to do half the performance of a 2handed weapon, thus a paladin using a one handed weapon will be doing absolutely terrible dps.

Prot-ret spec only works for pvp or non-heroic dungeons because you aren't taking or dishing out the rediculously high amounts of numbers you do in a raiding situation. Bosses in raids do about 20k-30k damage per attack and have like 2 million hp but players in pvp only do about 1k-6k damage per attack with only about 30k hp. As a prot-ret, you will have more suvivalbility compared to other mdps pvpers.

You can however as a feral druid be kind of viable in pve situations. you'll just be a viable tank that is sub-par dps, or a viable dps that is a sub-par tank.

5. Prot/ret Viable?

Ok, so maybe I'm a few years late but here are my 2 cents. First of all in order to be a tank all you really need is 540 def so that you do not get crited by raid bosses. I know i'm going to get flamed for this but here we go. So on a server that stays on the same patch forever, There isn't really a big need for stam / EHP. In all honesty all you really need EHP for is to survive Raid bosses big hits and that's it. This is true cause most experienced healers are already geared and skilled so when you take damage you are quickly topped up. Who says you cannot have more than 1 tank set?

For your hybrid set, all you do is get def capped. After that take offensive gear and use offensive trinks. Make sure you use a slower (mostly agi items) weapon. Gem and enchant all offensively

There you go that's your viable tank and viable dps at the same time. Yes I know it's not optimal but that's not what we are aiming for.

I'm a little bit off topic here but I'm just going to say it. Most people do not know but prot pala in ret gear can and will (if the player is experienced) do just as much dps as a ret right up until the ret gets 2pc T10.