1. Best Mage Spec

What seems to be the best mage spec for pve? Thanks!

2. if my memory serves me right, it would be fire.

3. It depend wich tier you are on and wich spec other mages in your raid are playing.

For Dungeons and early Karazhan frost spec is realy good for the amount of utility you bring and frost spec is generaly good on short fight, thanks to the water elemental who can be summoned twice and the double icy veins wich fit dungeons and most Kara bosses well.
    Later on T4 it will be fire spec with crafted tailoring set.

On T5 it will be arcane as soon as you have access to 2T5 and have enough intelect on your stuff (to sustain the heavy AB spam during long fights) and gold for re-socketing intelect.

On T6 and SWP if you have enough crit on your stuff you can try to play Arcane/frost spam frostbolt it's theoricaly the best spec for mage in PvE because you can have +%dmg crit on arcane spec on all spell and +%dmg crit on frost spell that stack together on frostbolt alongside with the frostbolt being a binary spell (it can hit or resist but not partiatly resist) it can do crazy damage and dps at high crit rating (65%+) BUT you will need at least one other mage to play a "special" spec. It's basicaly the same spec as arcane/frost without the point in "Mind mastery" in arcane spec and you put 2/5 "Winter's chill" in frost spec BUT to justify the dps loss you will need at least two mage playing the "Mind mastery" spec. So you need at least 3 mages wanting to play that spec to even think about playing it.
    Otherwise on T6+ you just go fire or arcane, arcane can be good for Tier 6 content (specialy Illidan and Archi) but will not be able to do most of the sunwell bosses as they are too long or too intesive (curses dispell, no dead time for regen out of cast etc..) while fire can do all T6+ content without major problem his DPS will cap at 2k4-2k5 and some min/max try hard guild didn't take mage back in the day cause of that limit dps wise and the fact that intelect buff is useless on Quel'Danas.
    Edited: August 26, 2017

4. Great info thanks Vegzz. Any chance anyone has BiS lists post t4. I've found a t4 fire/t5 arcane but all of the old threads from wow one have been deleted. Wonder if anyone backed them up. Cheers!

5. best specc at t6 is 33/28/0 fire arcane. you spam fireball with the 50% additional crits from arcane tree, resulting in even higher ignite ticks. tailor your gear towards crit. i tested this on several free gear servers with t5 and t6. also the 33/0 28 frost specc with winters chill is a good specc and you would deal even more dmg if you go 40/0/21 frostbolt spam but as the guy above said 1 other mage needs to go 33/0/28 then but that specc is good too.

but with trash gear i would go 18/0/43 frostspecc with water elemental,cause the water elemental deals high base dmg and doesnt scale well. but that specc even then scales decently into t6 as well cause frostbolt scales with 10% more spelldmg with that specc