1. Finally a person who understands that life is not just some number in a virtual game i totally agree with you :)

2. False on both accounts.

We don't want to reward those filthy rich people who buy gold off of 3rd party sites.
    But you are more than happy to screw the little guy to get at them though

3. Another good way to save gold would be to sell ur gold that you got now.. for coins and after 2 months WHEN price and gold ration will be normal buy the gold back.. ?? profit.. xD

4. again, you're missing the point
    last year's gold squish was a success because it coincided with a gold rate change

unless you nerf gold rates again (hello x1) there's no logical reason to squish gold again

5. Imaginary or not - the majority of the players worked hard to make that gold. It's not as easy as before to farm gold. The only ones who could possibly agree with this 2nd -50% are the poor players who it won't affect at all.

Think of it this way. The majority of the players will get punished just because a handful are cheating. The handful could be 100, 200 or even 1000 players but that's still small compared to the overall population that work hard for the gold. Suppose I made 100k in 2016. In 2017 a -50% happened and now I have 50k. Now 2018 will come and I'll have 25k after a 2nd -50%. Then what? 2019 I'll have 12.5k. This greatly puts off both active players and casual/returning players who have gold. Take me for example, I farmed gold back in the days and now I'm not so active. I already took 1 -50% hit and now I'm going to get another. By the time I want to start playing again, I'll be left with barely any because of this. This isn't fair.

Also, let's think of it from a cheaters perspective. This system will not "PREVENT" cheaters from keeping at it. They will take the -50% and just keep going at it. The normal players will get hit harder than the cheaters since they will just make it back with their bots or whatever they do and use. This system will affect the normal players more so than the cheaters. We already had a -50% and I think the issue should be tacked by other ways instead of something that will affect everyone again.
    Ok lets take your example and just by the easiness of it lets say when you stop play the server stop changing gold. So everyone has the exact same ratio of gold when you stopped playing. Everyone has -50% less every time. The only difference this makes is that it will become more expensive buying in game stuff like riding skill and such. But your "richness" compared to the rest of the server will stay the same.

6. Wait, is it a late April 1st 2017 joke? Cus if so, I mean, you can be late, but 6 months late?

On a more serious note, even though I am currently inactive, I do agree with most people here. Last year the reduction worked so that the gold earned before rate change would be more or less equally worth to the gold earned after the rate change. This time there is no reason for it. And, if I can believe what I've read in these 14 pages, inflation is minimal, therefore that cannot be a reason as well. So, if I may ask, Mercy, Proterean and whoever else is here, what are the reasons you consider the last reduction worked and what - that this one will?

7. Ok lets take your example and just by the easiness of it lets say when you stop play the server stop changing gold. So everyone has the exact same ratio of gold when you stopped playing. Everyone has -50% less every time. The only difference this makes is that it will become more expensive buying in game stuff like riding skill and such. But your "richness" compared to the rest of the server will stay the same.
    He left at the end of 2016, wants to come back at the beginning of 2019 with a new alt. He has 8 times less gold, yet spell prices and riding prices stay the same. He wants to go raiding with his old chars? Guess what, the repair prices are the same, even with 8 times less gold. (In either case if he doesnt buy AH items the other people's gold doesn't matter, matters the ratio between his gold change and the price change).

8. He left at the end of 2016, wants to come back at the beginning of 2019 with a new alt. He has 8 times less gold, yet spell prices and riding prices stay the same. He wants to go raiding with his old chars? Guess what, the repair prices are the same, even with 8 times less gold. (In either case if he doesnt buy AH items the other people's gold doesn't matter, matters the ratio between his gold change and the price change).
    Isn't that exactly what I said?

The only difference this makes is that it will become more expensive buying in game stuff like riding skill and such. But your "richness" compared to the rest of the server will stay the same.
    It makes it more blizzlike, which I don't mind at all. But my point with my posts here is that almost everyone here speak as if they knew better than the staff what will happen? It's not like the staff doesn't play the server and know what is going on. Just have some faith in them.

9. no it doesn't because rn the economy's stable, and it'd only make sense to cut existing gold if one were to half (or more) the gold rates along with it
    that was the main impetus for the last squish, in fact

10. Greetings Warmane community,

Beginning this year we've done a gold squish, cutting 50% of all gold across all systems, characters, storage and such. This brought out great results in our analysis and we believe doing it on a yearly basis benefits the economy greatly.

With all of this in mind, we have concluded that all realms will receive a gold squish of 50% on January 4, 2018 giving players, once again, our usual warning and plenty of time to use up their reserves before we commence the adjustment of the economy.

What this means is every piece of gold that exists in circulation, be it in the character's inventory, mailbox, guild bank, website trading system or otherwise, will be simply halved. Exactly as it was done last year too.

As you probably know, our rules prohibit sale of in-game goods via third-party, services. In most cases where players take part in such transactions, they end up losing their accounts, characters or worse, their personal data is obtained and sold to other more menacing third parties. We have done much in the past to combat this, from banning certain VPNs, implementing complex logging systems to procure the gold sources in such transactions and we, of course, have staff monitoring the global channels across our realms and we believe we have succeeded in countering a lot of this over the past few years.

We have also taken a stride in implementing yet another counter-measure, an artificial intelligence driven bot that detects gold seller spam, and dispenses swift punishment whilst also learning over time of the many patterns culprits reside to using.

Meet Jin, an artificial intelligence driven chat bot, which identifies gold spam (no matter how hard it is ciphered with non-latin characters), and learns over time to combat new attempts of gold selling.

The bot has been active for a few months now and it will only get better. With this, including a lot of internal staff effort on our side and many other measures we have, we hope to create an environment where no such game interruptions, as we consider them that way, will exist.

Kind regards
    Warmane
    Please listen to all these people and try to find a better solution. It isn't that easy to get gold for some people who cannot farm and all. Some people play for 2 -3 hrs a day and collect upto 10k gold in a month so they will lose 5k for no reason and it will hurt their in game economy.

11. no it doesn't because rn the economy's stable, and it'd only make sense to cut existing gold if one were to half (or more) the gold rates along with it
    that was the main impetus for the last squish, in fact
    That might be true, but this gold squish might have other factors playing in? For example those gold farmers (Which I don't say this is the most effective way to get to them). For inflation purposes, what is a better way to fight inflation than devaluation of the currency?

12. On the other hand you DO want punish those filthy rich people and all the poor/middle class players and customers that got their gold through legal means.And they're the majority of your players.
    That's not relevant to the point I was responsding to. Now is it?

13. again, you're missing the point
    last year's gold squish was a success because it coincided with a gold rate change

unless you nerf gold rates again (hello x1) there's no logical reason to squish gold again
    Exactly what I wanted to reply.
    Retail servers have never done such thing, NOT EVEN AFTER WOW-TOKEN-BOOM
    Here, staff never cared about what we said on these things anyway. So, hell... don't waste your arguments.

14. Isn't that exactly what I said?

It makes it more blizzlike, which I don't mind at all. But my point with my posts here is that almost everyone here speak as if they knew better than the staff what will happen? It's not like the staff doesn't play the server and know what is going on. Just have some faith in them.
    The others will keep earning gold, he doesn't. So no, not the same. They have the recovery time he doesn't, therefore, at the point he actually does want to purchase something from AH, he needs 8 times more gold (for example, an item he needs cost 800, it again costs 800 cus economy has recovered, but instead of the 1000 he has only 250, therefore he cannot afford the item anymore).

15. The others will keep earning gold, he doesn't.
    Do you even read what I write? Again I am quoting myself from above.....

Ok lets take your example and just by the easiness of it lets say when you stop play the server stop changing gold. So everyone has the exact same ratio of gold when you stopped playing.
    And I find your statement a bit contradicting. So if the server recover 100% of the initial gold squish but as you said he haven't played at all and thus only have 25% of the initial gold. With the inflation of the server what stops the server from growing from the inital 100% to lets say 400%? Nothing if you don't devalue the currency. And besides, if he stops playing what gives him the right to come back to the exact economy he left? Things change over time and he just needs to adapt to it.

First ... 4121314151624 ... Last