1. Low population - by the numbers

Hi there fellow Medivians.

Realm population has been a fairly explosive debate on the forums, with all of the topics gathering a lot of attention. Actually one of the most viewed topics on this sub-section of the forum is now a topic on "alarmingly low population" by yours truly.

Having read through the comments of almost everyone, I've seen Mercy telling us to gather something we could take to the admins. So what better way than make a strawpoll, and let's see what people actually feel about this - and get some numbers going.

First and foremost, I'd like to tell you right now, that I've made a couple of Strawpolls, and if you don't feel like you want to voice your opinion on the matter, and hopefully contribute to a change to the realm.

First question: Are you happy with the current state of Medivh?
    https://strawpoll.com/rwcdks87

If you're not happy with it, second question: Would you leave the server, if something happened to the X1 temporarily to fix population?
    https://strawpoll.com/xae6ae8d

If you replied no to the previous question, third question: What change would you like to have implemented?
    https://strawpoll.com/d4g3e95e

There's also been a lot of talk about changing the infrastructure of the realm, as in changing AH to be cross faction, lowering HC requirements to Honored etc, what do you think about it?
    https://strawpoll.com/gdpphraw

I hope you guys want to take the time to vote, so we can get some numbers on the matter, and see what Warmane would think if we could give them a report by the numbers on what the population thinks. Because suggestions are great and all, but villians for some are heroes for others, so your suggestion might be the best in your eyes, but the worst in the eyes of other Medivh players.

Thanks friends, let's get some numbers!

2. Regarding the XP rates:
    Changing the XP rates only temporarily doesn't make much sense.
    A few more ppl might join the realm but the same amount will leave it once the rates are back to x1.

Imo the better solution is to permanently set the XP to x3 from 1-58 but leave it on x1 from 58-70.

Most ppl are here to experience the TBC content and not the outdated and unbalanced vanilla content.
    I assume that most ppl that leave the realm do that because the leveling in the old world is too time consuming, and boring.
    In Outlands the leveling becomes smoother but most ppl don't even make it until 58.
    Edited: October 24, 2017

3. I am happy to see that we're closing in on 20 votes! If we could make it somewhere between 50 or 100, it would be great!

I would also like you to answer these questions as seriously as you possibly can. We don't really benefit from having people trolling etc.

If you haven't already, please do tell your friends about this - so we can gather some data.

4. Hmm i in that state that coz of the lack of pop im trying out wolk server instet. I have played a druid to 58 with a friend, thats ok. And i have played a priest to 56 solo, that i regret so much - and the thourgt of should play another char up from 1-58 was a dealbreaker for me.

So if poosibel to get instant 58/60 whould help SO much and probably it whould be easiere to get more friends to come and play.

Another think, whould it be possible later on to "transfer" a TBC char to WoLK whould be so awesome.

But overall, i think its a amazing job you guys have done and love the x1 servers. Have tried the x7 servers its not that me.

So crossing fingere that you will implant a instant 58/60 very soon, then im back.

5. Honestly all this casual bs of increasing xp rates has to go... this is a 1x server and it should stay that way even if it dies **** it. If you want increased rates becasue you cant bear to lvl 1-58 or 1-60 then simple change realmlist log into outland then go have your pop. Medivh is the only server that is 1x its for a niche group that want that dont come here and ruin it just like you casuals ruined retail always asking and asking for qol because you dont have enough time to play. if you dont have enough time to play then play increased rates if not go play something else who cares but dont come to the only 1x server and start asking for increased rates or even worse instant 60.

6. While I personally would prefer something AT MOST like 3x 1-58 then 1x, decisions like that shouldn't be taken lightly. For one thing, consider, would it actually do anything? I'm not in a position to say, its something that people who have experience running servers would be better off deciding. And I think that the more blizzlike and "hardcore" a server is tends to foster a more tight knit community. Outland just feels very hostile, even though I haven't quite hit 70 there. I'm not looking forward to trying to find a guild or pug since we get people demanding gear score for NORMAL 70 dungeons. Its so stupid. Since so many people and their alts are running around at endgame so easily people tend to be less trusting and more hostile towards one another.

Also, being only 24 here, it does seem to me that for all the supposed population issues, the leveling seems fairly lively with plenty of people running around and low level dungeon runs going on which you simply rarely see on a boosted server. It does make me think that maybe the higher levels have less patience and are maybe quitting before a decent amount of people hit 70 making it a cycle, but again I dunno. It's just my gut feeling. Personally, I like a more slow progression timeline at max level - it's one of the reasons why I'll only play on a Vanilla or TBC server, since all the content stays relevant and important. Even back on retail I was in guilds that were hanging around in SSC and TK for over 6 months, but it didn't feel like we were "dead" or anything. We'd have break weeks, we'd have extra time to live our lives, run Kara and Gruul on the side etc. It didn't feel rushed and that's kind of what I'm hoping for on a server like this. To be able to progress at my own pace without feeling like there's a small window to enjoy certain content. I'm definately against any kind of changes to the way endgame works, keep attunements. I don't see how that's a magic population increaser, rather just a way for content to be skippable, which eventually has a stacking negative effect on the relevancy of content (almost nobody did Mag, including me, by the time I was 70 which is the only problem BC had with its progression model IMO). But of course, you do need a decent population so I'm not saying everything is definately alright, but not bad either. Again, I just don't know.

I'm starting to ramble, but any change imo is risky and all the possible ramifications it could have both on population AND the tone/feel of the server and community in the long run should be considered. I like a 2-3x 1-58 personally, but would be very cautious about anything more drastic.

7. While I personally would prefer something AT MOST like 3x 1-58 then 1x, decisions like that shouldn't be taken lightly. For one thing, consider, would it actually do anything? I'm not in a position to say, its something that people who have experience running servers would be better off deciding.
    Definitely, which is why I have been pretty adamant that the increased XP is optional, so that people that still want to level at 1x have the choice of doing so, and those who would like x3/5 or whatever is best also have the option to do so.

. I'm definately against any kind of changes to the way endgame works, keep attunements. I don't see how that's a magic population increaser, rather just a way for content to be skippable, which eventually has a stacking negative effect on the relevancy of content (almost nobody did Mag, including me, by the time I was 70 which is the only problem BC had with its progression model IMO). But of course, you do need a decent population so I'm not saying everything is definately alright, but not bad either. Again, I just don't know.
    Blizzard removed attunements for SSC/TK in a hotfix(2.1.2) not long after BT patch(2.1.0) came. With BT coming in december then the patch which removes attunements should be released not long after. By removing attunements now and lowering the requirements for heroics, people could much quicker get into the current raid content or raiding in general. A big problem now is actually getting people attuned, its a lot of work and very time consuming on such a low pop server.
    They also lowered the heroics requirements later on. So none of these changes are in any way new to Wow. It's just that we need changes now, and not later.

I would much rather remove the attunements now and have guilds farm T5 content for the next two months getting ready for BT and then have multiple guilds ready to enter BT when it gets released, than to keep guilds out of the content simply because its hard to find 70's and get them attuned.

Originally Posted by blizzard
    After a lot of thought and deliberation, we’ve decided to remove the attunement requirements to enter Serpentshrine Cavern and Tempest Keep: The Eye. While many of our attunements in the Burning Crusade have been good progression checks, a few of the attunements have turned out to cause unnecessary stress on guilds either doing the content or attempting to do the content. With Black Temple and Battle for Mount Hyjal thriving, we want to encourage (rather than prevent) new guilds and raid groups to attempt Serpentshrine and TK.
    Currently with the way things are, the gap between guilds is just getting bigger. There used to be 20+ guilds doing karazhan and 15+ doing 25mans not too long ago. Now theres 3-4 guilds on alliance and horde combined doing 25mans.

They way I see it they should up the XP rates for new players to come here, lower heroic requirements to allow people to farm more efficiently and removed attunements to help people get into raid content quicker.

8. I can see where you are coming from. And perhaps you are right, given the small population. I personally think BT attunement should stay though. My only fear is that other raids end up being ghost towns. Perhaps its an unwarranted fear, especially for TBC, I dunno - but after seeing the paradigm shift in WOTLK post-Ulduar I'm very pessimistic. And what's "current" content should really only be subjective. I came here personally to raid all of TBC just like I did when I hit 70 for the first time and started raiding for the first time, even though BT had been cleared already on my server - I still got to spend ample time to enjoy Kara, Gruul and T5 content without the whole server simply woking on BT. Yeah I guess you could say that BT had some definite gear requirements, but especially when MT was released it became easier and easier to ignore other raids - this is doubly true in a private server enviornment, where most of us have experience, a lot of us are familiar with the fights, and as a whole have a much easier time tackling content than a typical retail guild at the time.

9. Medivh is the only server that is 1x its for a niche group that want that dont come here and ruin it just like you casuals ruined retail always asking and asking for qol because you dont have enough time to play. if you dont have enough time to play then play increased rates if not go play something else who cares but dont come to the only 1x server and start asking for increased rates or even worse instant 60.
    I'd say the more important distinction here is that there's no cash shop on Medivh. I think that's far more of a factor for people playing here than 1x leveling rates.

10. I'd say the more important distinction here is that there's no cash shop on Medivh. I think that's far more of a factor for people playing here than 1x leveling rates.
    For me, no. I'd leave the server if they were to change the leveling rates to anything other than 1x. The only reason I'm playing here is because of 1x rates. I prefer cash shops over 1x leveling.

The reason why 1x leveling is so important is that it acts like a filter. Medivh is MUCH LESS hostile than Outland. So far, I've mostly met people that can behave. Of course it's naive to think that there will only be mature players, but having 1x leveling rates do prevent this issue to some extent.

So whatever Medivh admins choose to do, please, do not alter the leveling rates.

Do not change anything to the realm. It's good as it is.

If you want a higher population you could do some advertising. Many people do not know about the server.

11. If you want a higher population you could do some advertising. Many people do not know about the server.
    That's true. And a lot of people who do know about it think it's also p2w because it's warmane.

12. I'd much rather have a server that is active and healthy, than a dead one. Which is where we are headed towards.

In an ideal world this server would be well populated and 1x, I'd love nothing more. But seeing how it has decline over time it's time to change things up.
    Leveling is fun and a great experience, but for most people they play for the end-game, which begins at 70. All of these changes, other than XP rates, are all changes that will come eventually, following blizzards retail timeline. But giving people the option to chose 1x or 3x will hopefully boost the population up to a stable point.

It's incredibly frustrating to play at 70 now. PVP is dead, finding dungeons nearly impossible because it can take 45-60 mins just to find a group for 1 dungeon. It's obvious from all the people quitting that there's not much to do at 70 here besides afk in the cities.

13. I just started playing here last night.

Should I just stop now? I don't want to spend the next few weeks or whatever leveling and then find out I can't do anything end-game, or it takes hours to just a dungeon together, etc...

Level 12 Undead Warlock currently.

14. I've lurked these forums (because man the wowservers subreddit just gives me such a toxic view of everything private server related out of game), but feel the need to speak up to add another voice/opinion now.

I started around mid august (Hurricane Harvey). I am a US player (Central Time Zone). I tried Outland for a few minutes but was immediately turned off by 5x XP.

Honestly it looked good. I was glad I didn't just believe the negative talk of this server (mostly from reddit).

I saw a decent amount of low level new characters questing around. It feels as if the amount of leveling players has done nothing but increase since I've started - I see tons more posting/asking questions and a lot more groups forming for the major instances everyone likes to do while leveling.

But man it started dwindling past 30. By 40, I was rarely seeing players. By 50 I was being ganked by bored 70's randomly helping others in winterspring or plaguelands than seeing anyone else.

I thought - "this is expected at 1x, I just have to hit 58 for outlands!".

And that's when it hit me...

What about an increasing xp multiplier each level range up until outlands?

Honestly I loved the 1x XP rate. It nails the nostalgia that makes everyone excited to play here. All my friends said the same. But after that novelty fades, all you want to do is get back to Outlands.

1-20 is perfectly fine and fun at 1x rate. I got to experience all the nostalgia I was hoping for.

20-30 is when exploration of the newer zones outside of "starting" zones starts.

30-40 is what reminded me of the "core meat" of still leveling through vanilla content. It's starting to feel like a meaty time investment at this point just to get one level. By the late 30's it reallllly starts to set in how long this is taking......all just to hit 40 to start it all over again for another 10 levels, and another 8, to START outland.....but I pushed on....

40-50 was a bit of fun again because of the Tanaris and ZF, but past 45 it started to drag again.

50+ feels useless and miserable depending on class (ugh plaguelands as a rogue). 50-58 was by far the WORST part, because you know it was all a grind just to get to outlands and nothing more.

15. What about an increasing xp multiplier each level range up until outlands?

I think that is making it more complicated than it has to be.

Give people two options.
    1. Level 1x as normal, nothing changes
    2. 3x/5x for those who want that

You can still level 1x like normal and people who choose 3/5x will not affect your leveling at all.

Edit: The increased rates is obviously only 1-60.

123 ... Last