1. Fury or Arms for PvE, are warriors viable DPS or should I focus on tanking?

I was told in game that I should switch to prot if I want to raid. Apparently Fury isn't viable at all and arms is mediocre at best. Any truth to this? I'm willing to donate to get weapons which should help my DPS, but I don't want to spend money on the wrong spec if no raid guild is going to take me anyways.

2. There is no truth to it at all. Fury is one of the top dps and Arms brings average dps but a valuable buff that is highly desired by raids too (blood frenzy, 4% physical damage). Most raids will field 1-2 dps Warriors, just as they will also have 1-2 Prot Warriors. Playing in one of the servers top guilds I have played Arms while we also had a Fury Warrior, in every raid. I progressed T4 and T5 as Fury in a guild which had 3 active raiding dps Warriors and was competing in the top 3 quite often, alongside Mages, Hunters, Locks.

Warriors are very gear reliant, but more accurately is to say they are buff reliant. You really need an Enhancement shaman for Windfury + 10% attack power, a Prot Warrior to keep Sunder Armor up (or help from all the warriors to keep it applied) and a Warlock keeping Curse of Recklessness up, it's really a big deal to have 3 Paladins in the raid so that you can have Salvation, Kings and Might and with this all put together a Feral Druid in your group is a massive gain. When you start reaching real group optimisation, well timed Bloodlust and you're using full consumables and a well kept gear set then you're a complete monster, and that includes down at T4 progression levels, Magtheridon for example is easy to see a Fury Warrior on top.

With that said, melee is at quite a disadvantage in T4 and T5 with many fights making it difficult to always perform your best.. This is even more so for Rogues, they have similar dps to Fury Warriors on single target, while bringing nothing and having lower cleave dps... Melee (and rogues especially) really come into their own during T6, but among the melee there is always a spot for a DPS Warrior in a raid.

The issue is that DPS Warrior is one of the most popular specs, you're competing with a lot of players for your raid spot. Guilds have no shortage of good dps Warriors to choose from.

3. Whoever told you that is a scrub that doesn't know anything about TBC and/or they really need a tank for their runs. Both fury and arms are viable for raids and established guilds will have an arms warrior and 1-2 fury warriors in the raid. Warrior dps is weaker early on as both specs are gear dependent. Fury is one of the top dps specs in the game in T6 and arms does about 80-90% of fury's dps while giving a valuable debuff. You are dependent on windfury to do good dps though for both specs.

4. You're melee and there are a lot of warrior DPSers anyway, so there's that. I'd say the guy who told you that was right but not for those reasons.

5. You're melee and there are a lot of warrior DPSers anyway, so there's that. I'd say the guy who told you that was right but not for those reasons.
    He does have a point. Your biggest obstacle as a dps warrior isn't the spec being unviable, it's the fact the class is overplayed and causes it to be difficult to get a raid spot. Your best shot if you are set on dps warrior is to join a guild that's starting out, but make sure the leadership is solid or it won't get off the ground.

6. He does have a point. Your biggest obstacle as a dps warrior isn't the spec being unviable, it's the fact the class is overplayed and causes it to be difficult to get a raid spot.
    Talking about a raid spot, it is the same with prot warriors. As long as you are not in a guild which has multiple twink raids active, the (mostly) two tank spots are set in stone. Tanks are heavy in need if it comes to 5man dungeons or a shigtty pug wipe raid, but a raiding guild mostly got their tanks and it is difficult to get in between as a new tank.

A new guild which is building up a new raid group are in need for tanks, but than there is usually a free fury slot as well.