1. Prot Rotation

Hi,

I just got to lvl 50 and got the Devastate ability. My rotation before it was Rend - Revenge (when proc) - Shield Slam - Thunder Clap.

Now I have Devastate and I don't know if I should use it all the time in all situations or should I use it only agaisnt bosses? So can any prot warrior give me some advice on how to use Devastate with my rotation or if my rotation is correct.

Thanks.

2. There is no real rotation as prod warrior, just a priority list.

single target
    - Revenge (most dmg and thread on your level for only 5 rage)
    - Shield Slam ( good dmg but high rage cost on your level, consider to use heroic strike if low on rage)
    - devastate ( very good in end game due to debuff and average dmg/thread, on your level you are the dd in every dungeon so focus on dmg = revenge)
    - heroic strike

groups
    - Thunder Clap
    - Revenge
    - Cleave
    - Shield Slam
    - Devastate

Priority list is for your level, not endgame. Rend is pretty much useless for you, every other button you can press does more dmg.

3. Devastate exists as a global cooldown filler when both your Shield Slam and Revenge are on cooldown. It does decent threat and meh damage, but most importantly it applies Sunder Armor and can reset your Shield Slam.

Rend is an absolutely useless ability as a protection warrior and you should never use it, unless you're PvPing a rogue to maybe get him out of Vanish. The damage/rage and threat/rage ratios of Rend are not even close to Revenge or Shield Slam. If you have a free global cooldown, just use Devastate instead of Rend.

In terms of aggro, your rotation is to keep Revenge and Shield Slam on cooldown, then fill with Devastate and Heroic Strike. At low levels, try not to rage-starve yourself before the next Shield Slam because it is your highest threat ability and second-highest damage ability after Revenge. Prioritize Thunder Clap, Shockwave, and Cleave (especially if glyphed and talented) on multiple targets. In terms of mitigation, you should keep Demoralizing Shout and Thunder Clap up and use your defensive cooldowns when necessary.

Tips:

- Shield Slam dispels one magic buff from your target;
    - you can Disarm or stun targets, including elites, to reduce incoming damage - many players simply forget this and die;
    - using Shield Block doubles your block rating for its duration;
    - Shield Slam's damage scales from block rating.
    Edited: November 13, 2017