1. How to sort out players with brains in TBC

1st advice: Ignore everyone asking for gearscore. They clearly know nothing of TBC.

2nd advice: Do you wanna start a raid? Inspect + info about stats is the way.

(Yeah I know this will sort out ½ of the players, but that just indicate the brain activity of ½ of the players lol) ;-)

2. How to sort out players with brains? If you want an intelligent solution to the issue, you have to address it intelligently.

@ 1. Recognize that the problem with gearscore are the people that misuse it. It is a tool.

@ 2. This is good advice. Don't stop at just asking or checking for a gearscore number. Check for types of items equipped, enchants, gems and talent choices. If someone isn't to your liking, don't insult them for whatever you think their sub-par choices were. Instead, move on to the next person.

And I also want to add my own personal #3.
    Keep in mind that not everyone playing is a veteran player. There are plenty of people around who have never played TBC before, or even the people who have never even played WoW before. Be understanding of these people and do your best to help those willing to take advice.

3. How to sort out players with brains? If you want an intelligent solution to the issue, you have to address it intelligently.

@ 1. Recognize that the problem with gearscore are the people that misuse it. It is a tool.

@ 2. This is good advice. Don't stop at just asking or checking for a gearscore number. Check for types of items equipped, enchants, gems and talent choices. If someone isn't to your liking, don't insult them for whatever you think their sub-par choices were. Instead, move on to the next person.

And I also want to add my own personal #3.
    Keep in mind that not everyone playing is a veteran player. There are plenty of people around who have never played TBC before, or even the people who have never even played WoW before. Be understanding of these people and do your best to help those willing to take advice.
    Actually the situation is completely broken on Outland if you ask me

it is almost impossible to find a karazhan group with not at least 2.400 GS. PPL are completely stubborn about this, I had several conversations that went exactly like this:

Me: „Hey I‘m pulling 800-900 DPS on average as a Hunter, is that okay for you?“

Him: „yeah that‘s perfect“
    „oh what‘s your GS just in case?“

Me: „you said 800 DPS is perfect, what do you need my GS for? it doesn‘t say anything about my DPS“

Him: „GS or no invite“

Me: „2.100...but my DPS is better than most 2500 Hunters and that‘s what counts right? and im an old SWP retail raider, no slacking / no fails“

Him: „lol run some normals first no way you do 800 DPS“

*picks random 2.400 GS hunter thats slacking with 700 DPS / no Misdirection whatnot“

My mage friend experiences exactly the same, most mages average around 700-800 DPS even with 2500 GS...

The whole item shop makes it that average people dont know how to use the potential of their characters which then means you need to completely outgear the instance to get people that perform „okay“

This completely ruins the experience for everybody, requirements get higher and higher and everybody adapta to the higher averages.

Today several groups wanted 2.6k+ for ****ing Gruul, I mean...

what the hell, you need to be almost full Karageared to reach that GS

That **** has to stop...
    Edited: December 10, 2017 Reason: typo

4. Mage is rough cause spellfire is 3 items with **** gearscore even though its pre raid bis. Even full pre raid bis as a mage you barely get 2.4k with full enchants and gems. I've even seen kara runs asking for 2.6k+ gearscore. A mage with that gs isn't going to need hardly anything from kara.

5. Stop pugging and find a guild. There are many t4 guilds that need people. If you don't want to join a guild you can start your own pug. I'd invite a **** geared alt of a skilled guildie above a high GS random any day.

Before GS, people would inspect you instead, say "too many greens" and not invite you. GS just makes it all faster.

Higher GS = higher potential dps, less competition on rolls, indication that you have some proof of experience (with content or with the store...). Anyone can say they do 900 dps, and blame some bull**** when they don't.

6. Actually the situation is completely broken on Outland if you ask me
    I never stated nor implied the contrary.

7. Mercy said it well. GS is just a tool. There's no reason to /ignore people just because they ask for GS. If someone tells me they're pre-raid BiS geared, I'd invite them for T4 content no problem. Then I'd ask them for inspect at Aldor bank and that's it.

The thing is not everyone knows what's pre-raid BiS for every class and spec, and so those players (both raid leaders and raiders) prefer to use GS as a pointer. That's kind of the whole point of GS, to begin with.

On a separate note, people say that Medivh players don't use GS at all. Maybe you should hop there?

8. It's just because there are too many wrath babies on Outland who don't understand how gearing works in TBC. GS is fundamentally flawed in TBC because there are a LOT of items with lower ilvl who are superior to higher ilvl items. Sure GS could measure how good your gear is, but it could in a lot of cases also measure how bad you are at gearing your character, because you believe "higher ilvl is better item derp". Take this item for example: http://db.hellfire-tbc.com/?item=30279. For Arms/Fury Warriors this green quest item is actually better than http://db.hellfire-tbc.com/?item=29949 which drops in T5 (!). Never mind that the T5 item has a GS value twice as high.
    **** GS really.

9. It's just because there are too many wrath babies on Outland who don't understand how gearing works in TBC. GS is fundamentally flawed in TBC because there are a LOT of items with lower ilvl who are superior to higher ilvl items. Sure GS could measure how good your gear is, but it could in a lot of cases also measure how bad you are at gearing your character, because you believe "higher ilvl is better item derp". Take this item for example: http://db.hellfire-tbc.com/?item=30279. For Arms/Fury Warriors this green quest item is actually better than http://db.hellfire-tbc.com/?item=29949 which drops in T5 (!). Never mind that the T5 item has a GS value twice as high.
    **** GS really.
    this! so many good greens out there

10. this! so many good greens out there
    Yup! Having one perfectly fine example to demonstrate why GS is bull**** is obviously not valid! Perhaps that ****** poepinjehoofd should mention Totem of Healing Rains, Dragonspine Trophy, Ragesteel set, Wastewalker set, Frozen Shadoweave set, Ritssyn's Lost Pendant, The Lightning Capacitator, Gaunlets of Martial Perfection, Hourglass of the Unraveler, Latro's Shifting Sword or any of the other items in TBC that are better than items from higher tiers!

11. this! so many good greens out there
    Imagine for a moment that the group you are trying to get into is led by someone who doesn't have this sort of knowledge. Even when they're not using gearscore, they are going to inspect the person and see: "Oh, you're wearing greens still!"

As I said before, gearscore is a tool. The problem is with the players using it, not the tool itself.

12. 1st advice: Ignore everyone asking for gearscore. They clearly know nothing of TBC.

2nd advice: Do you wanna start a raid? Inspect + info about stats is the way.

(Yeah I know this will sort out ½ of the players, but that just indicate the brain activity of ½ of the players lol) ;-)
    GS means nothing here anyway.

Why?

Because you can buy gear.

Means what?

Someone who has money and someone who decided to try out class/role he never played and cba gearing,buys bis gear for money,while not having single clue how to heal,tank or dps

Meanwhile someone who actually invested time in gearing his char,gets no invite,even tho he can pull bigger numbers than person who has better gs.

GS is one of many ways to make people feel better about themselves.Having high gs doesn't mean you will perform better than person who has lower GS,and once people realize that,this server is going to be much better place.