1. Mage AoE grinding build.

So I have made it my goal to make the best possible AoE spec. Planing to make a guide just for fun. But I just wanted to make a post to discuss some different specs.

At the moment I got this build.
    And I am running with Mage Armor ofc. At the moment my personal best pull is 17 mobs in Borean Tundra.
    I still got good single target dps for when I am leveling. But the dps in dungeons etc is not as good ofc.

Here is a short video on how I do it: Basic AoE pull lvl72
    I guess you get the idea watching it, on the first pull a random 80 horde helps me out but at least you got to see how to pull and using Ice Barrier instead of Frost Nova at the start.
    On the second pull I kind of screw up with pulling that last deer, but as long as you keep calm and polly you are fine. Didn't get to Flamestrike though. But you get to see that when the Ice Barrier breaks, I get 5/7 crits from the flamestrike which gives me some mana back and it applies the 40% extra damage as well.

One thing that I didn't do here, that I should have done is using a instant fireball on the mob that I pollymorfed after I cast Flamestrike. That way a simple Frost Nova/Arcane Explosion would have been enough to finish them off.

My latest idea for what my level 80 spec will look like. This would be running Molten Armor.

And this will only be for grinding gold etc. Not for raids.

So what do you guys think, got any changes you would make?
    All input is appreciated :)
    Cheers!
    Edited: December 21, 2017 Reason: Adding some more explanation on the build and stuff.

2. https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#oZf...ZhIcIsbu0fdMfo

Id go for something like this...
    (I actualy never tested it nor do i farm stuff with mage, nor do i know why are u going for this kind of spec but this might get u some new ideas or something u didnt see)

U dont need any mana regen talents since u will most likely eat after every big pull regardless of 30% more mana regen or w/e talent u chose to go for. Am i right?

Once u aoe the hell out of mobs and they get close to u, Blast Wave them and Cone of Cold for extra slow before or after BW, Blink away and keep going... If they get close again, let ur Shield explode or Frost Nova urself and just casualy move away and start casting some fire and ice on all of them.

Use scorch and fire blast to finish them off.
    If u need more DMG for single target use FFB.

"Rocket Boots" talent and Fire Blast stun can be helpfull against random plebs trying to kill u...
    Id use Glyph of Polymorf so u can always poly players and run away...

3. Here is my idea of an AOE spec more fire oriented.

http://rpgworld.altervista.org/335/m...00000000000000

Advantages :

- Huge amount of fire damages deals (Through Living Bombs + Ignite)
    - Possibility to deal with close range attackers (Through Blast Wave + Dragon Breath)
    - Good resistance gived by the Arcane part of the build (Through Arcane Fortitude + Arcane Absorbtion)
    - Very good mana regeneration (If you have to chose play this build with a Spirit Crit oriented gear)
    - Possibility to shut down the last mob remaining with a instantly Pyroblast.
    - All spells are instant, you never cast, always move. (And you do not have to face mobs except for Fire Blast or Dragon's Breath)

Disadvantages :

- Harmfull because you need to stay as far as you can from being hit, you don't have root speel neither the Ice barrier.
    - A bit long to set up, because of the 3-4 living bombs to put before starting to be effective.
    - It's a bit tricky to target every time differents mobs meanwhile you are running away, but you can be help by you Tabulation bind. and I recommend to use Tiddyplate as and addon to track your Living bombs on the differents targets.
    - You need atleast 8-10 targets to get the full potential of this spec. (Because of the Living Bomb explode every 12 sec, and your GCD will be in between 1,1 and 1,4 sec, depending on your hast score)
    - You cannot choose your targets you will litterally pull the whole map !
    - You could be turning mad in your brain by doing circles all the time.

How to play it :

- All the time: Living Bombs and run away from adds (You should always be in movement, do large cercles to do not goes out of range of the mobs aggro).
    - When the mobs reach you: Blast wave and blink away then Flame strike (instant) while you continue to moving away. Continue your run + living bombs until the blink is ready again then Dragon's Breath Blink away and Flame Strike, then continue your running. Rotate your Blast Waves and Dragon's Breaths
    - Do not hesitate to shut down some adds with your Pyroblast meanwhile you run.
    - You can stuns some mobs with Fire Blast, but do not forget to face him to do it ^^. Otherwise you will not launch the spell at all ^^.

Good luck with you project,

Tiny.

PS: this spec is theoritical i don't have try it.
    Edited: December 21, 2017

4. I have only played as frost so far so fire could very well be the best way to go. But I will update my OP with some explanations of my spec. And how I do my pulls.

Thx for the feedback guys, I will get back to you individually as well :)

5. https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#oZf...ZhIcIsbu0fdMfo

Id go for something like this...
    (I actualy never tested it nor do i farm stuff with mage, nor do i know why are u going for this kind of spec but this might get u some new ideas or something u didnt see)
    I'm basically just doing it because it is fun, but it is also a stupid fast way to grind cloth and gold.
    When it comes to the build I know that frostbite is super awkward because it will root like half your pull and split it up so that you cant DPS the entire pull at once. Maybe having both frostbite and impact will work tough although you would have to deal both fire and frost damage. Can the ticks for Flamestrike stun the mobs?
    But I have no experience with the fire talents below Master of Elements, so I would have to test it.
    U dont need any mana regen talents since u will most likely eat after every big pull regardless of 30% more mana regen or w/e talent u chose to go for. Am i right?
    If you watch the video I posted you can see that I ended up with about 76% health and 60% mana after the pull. It was a small pull though, but I normally don't lose mor health than that on a big pull either. SO the mana regen is pretty important.
    "Rocket Boots" talent and Fire Blast stun can be helpfull against random plebs trying to kill u...
    Id use Glyph of Polymorf so u can always poly players and run away...
    This is definitely a good idea, not sure how populated the places where I would end up grinding at level 80 are. But getting ganked when you do a huge pull is super annoying!

6. Hi,

I have look your video, definetly don't run my spec, I totally forget the fact you will be a fresh lvl 80. You will not live enough longer to get through it !

You can try the spec I adviced when you will have a gear more relevent.

See u

Tiny.

7. Hi,

I have look your video, definetly don't run my spec, I totally forget the fact you will be a fresh lvl 80. You will not live enough longer to get through it !

You can try the spec I adviced when you will have a gear more relevent.

See u

Tiny.
    Thanks dude, yeah I am pretty much reliant on the slow still!

Also here is a new spot I found, pretty ****ing stupid.

8. Yea, i forgot and overlooked couple of stuff, freezing some minions was one of them...

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#oZf...ZMIcIsfzhfdMco
    Id say this one could work.

I still think some of that mana regen is not so usefull, but if u feel like its important go for it.

Things u can do to improve:
    When u pull all the npcs and set them up for 1st Frost Nova, do Cone of Cold before that nova. Some extra DMG and Slow.
    Once they get close to u dont Frost Nova again if u have Frost Barrier. Let them hit u and break it while doing another Cone of Cold.
    Dont be afraid to use Fire Blast on NPCs that have more HP than others.
    Use Arcane Explosion to finish them off if mana is not the issue while doing it (aka if its not consuming too much of it).

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#of0...00hZMI0Isfzbfd
    Mana build from my pov.
    (U can put 2 points from CoC to Hit talent in frost in case u miss).

9. I will try to go abit more fire oriented when I get geared for sure :)
    Just need to learn how to play it as well :p

I've found that using Cone of Cold before the frost nowa is a bit risky. But it is probably just something I would need to practice on.
    I sometimes pop the barrier when I gather the mobs then reapply the barrier, frost nova when they get close again the pop barrier when they get close again. But normally I just pull, gather frost nova, apply barrier, pop it then frost nova if they get close again.
    Normally I use the instant fireball as my Fire blast, but without that in the new spec I will definetly be doing that.
    Normally I finish the stragglers with Cone of cold, but I also use Arcane explosion;)

10. I recently changed up my build pretty drastically, and I have to say it is pretty insane now. This is my new spec.

As long as I don't mess up the pull I normally use like 5-10% mana and 0-5% health. The more mobs I pull the easier it gets because Arcane Concentration is more likely to proc on the Frost Nova. Was able to do a 60 mob pull in dragonblight on the way to Grizzly Hills (the undead mobs that dont give exp) when I first tried it out.

But it is terrible at single target without the free fireball proc and frostbolt damage.

So if you want to take a break from questing and just do some AoE grinding I would definitely reccomend going something like this build. :)

11. For AOE Grinding, best combo has always been Nova > Get Distance > Blizzard > Blizzard > any AOE spell > Nova > Repeat.

So your build should be something that:
    - Makes sure Enemies don't resist your spells
    - Increases your Blizzard's Slow and Damage
    - Increases the Range of your Blizzard / Nova
    - Increases your over-all Frost damage
    - Arcane Concentration is also a must and it often procs during Blizzard.

With remaining points, you can get talents that compliment your survival or single target dps.

12. For AOE Grinding, best combo has always been Nova > Get Distance > Blizzard > Blizzard > any AOE spell > Nova > Repeat.

So your build should be something that:
    - Makes sure Enemies don't resist your spells
    - Increases your Blizzard's Slow and Damage
    - Increases the Range of your Blizzard / Nova
    - Increases your over-all Frost damage
    - Arcane Concentration is also a must and it often procs during Blizzard.

With remaining points, you can get talents that compliment your survival or single target dps.
    With the spec that I posted:

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#ofc...ZMI0Isbuofd:ik

I can pretty much do infinite pulls as long as I dont make mistakes. I am at the moment just pulling mobs on my level though. Most of the time its just, nova -> blizzard -> blizzard and maybe a Cone of cold.
    If Arcane Concentration does not proc on frost nova I normally toss out a Flamestrike first to try and proc it. But if I dont care about efficiency I just blizzard.

But I miss having Arcane Concentration and Master of Elements. That was some stupid regen haha

13. You're doing it right.

But that spec isn't an "ideal" for AOE grinding at all. Read my post again, the first thing I mentioned was "Make sure you enemies don't resist your spells" and you don't even have any point in "Precision". It should be maxed (needs 3 points) and then you can pull mobs at-least 3 levels higher than your current level.

Then you do need "Frost Channeling" (Maxed), during leveling stage, mana reduction in your spells can be a game changer.

And, maxing "Artic Winds" is a must. It increases damage of "all" of your frost spells (Blizzard included). No other explanation needed.

Try these: https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#ofc...bIcIsfzhc0x:ik

Note that it's a spec that compliments AOE grinding by increasing your damage and mana efficiency while doing it. Some of the points used in the Talents calculator are just fillers to move to bottom Talent(s).

Also added 1 point in Cold Snap because sometimes (or often) when you have aggro 15+ mobs and you Nova them, some of them resist it and keep following you and that puts you in a very bad position. So you can use Cold Snap, nova again and continue with your Blizzards.

Try this and see the results. You'd be happy.

*Edit* don't use Flame strike in your rotation. Use Blizzard instead. It's safer and gives you more control over your enemies.

14. Spoiler: Show
    You're doing it right.

But that spec isn't an "ideal" for AOE grinding at all. Read my post again, the first thing I mentioned was "Make sure you enemies don't resist your spells" and you don't even have any point in "Precision". It should be maxed (needs 3 points) and then you can pull mobs at-least 3 levels higher than your current level.

Then you do need "Frost Channeling" (Maxed), during leveling stage, mana reduction in your spells can be a game changer.

And, maxing "Artic Winds" is a must. It increases damage of "all" of your frost spells (Blizzard included). No other explanation needed.

Try these: https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#ofc...bIcIsfzhc0x:ik

Note that it's a spec that compliments AOE grinding by increasing your damage and mana efficiency while doing it. Some of the points used in the Talents calculator are just fillers to move to bottom Talent(s).

Also added 1 point in Cold Snap because sometimes (or often) when you have aggro 15+ mobs and you Nova them, some of them resist it and keep following you and that puts you in a very bad position. So you can use Cold Snap, nova again and continue with your Blizzards.

Try this and see the results. You'd be happy.

*Edit* don't use Flame strike in your rotation. Use Blizzard instead. It's safer and gives you more control over your enemies.
    Precision seems like it could be usefull again (used it earlier). But switched it out with something at some point since I never missed (even without it). Tried to go to Ice Crown and AoE today but couldn't do it because I kept missing 1-2 mobs with nova. Think I will remove Shatter and add Precision.

After getting Arcane Concentration I removed Frost Channeling and all other regen really because I never spend mana on Blizzard anymore. Because you got Molten Armor, Frost Nova and Flamestrike only if frost nova does not proc it to proc it. The Flamestrike can just be level 1 because it is not for damage. Could also use a level 1 Blizzard I guess. So I would say regen is wasted talents as long as you use Arcane Concentration well. All the mana I use is for Mana Shield, Frost nova, Blink, Ice Barrier and the occasional Flamestrike really.

I think Arcane Power is a lot better than Arctic Winds, 20% more damage instead of 5%, but it's a 2 min cooldown though. But there is so much good stuff farther down the Arcane tree. So I have only been going so far down the frost tree to get Ice Barrier and Shatter Barrier, but maybe thats not needed? In that chase I would just go down to Winter’s Chill I think, but I feel very reliant on Shattered Barrier.

I think this would be my build if I see that I dont need Ice Barrier:
    https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#ofc...ZZMIcIsbzoc:ik

Spoiler: Show
    I'll start on the frost tree.
    Improved frostbolt: 100% filler talent, and I'm not going frostbite because it splits up the group making it impossible to AoE properly (at least it did in lvl 30 ish).
    Ice Floes: CDR on important spells, not a must have though, but anything else in tier 1 would be stupid.
    Ice Shards: Important DPS tallent that works really well with Molten Armor.
    Precision: For hit chance when doing orange mobs. Not super important when doing content on your level.
    Permafrost: More slows, which ends up in more blizzard ticks and more damage. Very important.
    Piercing Ice: 6% more damage, on frost spells. Pretty important.
    Icy Veins: A simple DPS cooldown. Pretty important.
    Improved Blizzard: Almost impossible without it. A must have talent.
    Arctic Reach: Longer range on Blizzard and Frost Nova (and cone of cold). Pretty important.
    Cold Snap: A "oh fudge!" button or DPS cooldown reset button. Pretty important.
    Improved Cone of Cold: More damage on Cone of Cold. Impotence will depend on how much you use it. For me it is more of a filler talent, but it is very usefull.
    Winter's Chill: A 5% crit chance buff. Works very well with Ice Shards.

Now to the arcane tree.
    Arcane Subtlety/Focus: These are 100% fillers, Arcane Focus buffs Arcane Explosion slightly though.
    Arcane Fortitude: This is just survivability, and it's not super important. But it helps when/if you make a mistake.
    Arcane Concentration: Mana sustain galore. Very important. Might be possible to go 3/4 points in it.
    Spell Impact: Mainly a filler talent, but gives some extra damage to Arcane Explosion and Cone of Cold. Not important. Maybe Magic Absorption is better?
    Student of the Mind: More spirit is important because we run Molten Armor. Pretty important.
    Arcane Shielding: Reduces the drawback from Mana Shield. Not important, but nice to have.
    Presence of Mind: Important because of the talents it branches into other talents. It can be useful for an Instant Flamestrike though. Very important.
    Arcane Mind: More intellect is good I guess. But it is not super important. But it is a nice filler.
    Arcane Instability: 3% more damage and crit chance is just a great DPS buff and it branches into Arcane Power. Very important.
    Arcane Potency: 30% more crit chance every time Arcane Concentration procs. Note that this is just for the next "wave" of ticks from blizzard (I think). It is still a great damage buff. Pretty important.
    Arcane Power: 20% increased damage for 15 seconds is just insane, especially when you combind it with Arcane Concentration so that it has no drawback. Very important.
    Incanter's Absorption: It makes Mana Shield and Ice Barrier better. Not sure how good it is with just Mana Shield (close to 200 spell power from a max rank mana shield level 79). Not important, but fun. You can't really pull and Ice Block with this though.
    Mind Mastery: More spell power, and it works well with Arcane Mind (I think, haven't tested it).

I think I would try and go this in level 80 if I manage to play without Ice Barrier:
    https://wotlk.evowow.com/?talent#ofc...x0bZMIcIsbz:ik

Need to get some sleep now, but Ill edit in an explanation on my spec on my way to work tomorrow :)
    Edited: January 4, 2018

15. Sure, if you have no issues with mana then Frost Channeling can be skipped.

I'd give Artic Winds priority over Arcane Power for simply the fact that Artic Winds becomes a "Passive" 5% damage increase instead of 15 seconds of fame.

Roughly speaking, with Arcane Power you get 20% damage increase for 15 Seconds and then until cool down (i.e. 105 Seconds), you have 0% damage increase (as if the talent you invested in doesn't even exist) but with Artic Winds, you have 5% damage increased for the whole 120 seconds.

If we go by the rough numbers then:
    Arcane Power: 15x20 = 300 + (105x0) = 300
    Artic Winds: 120x5 = 600

Now you do the math.

Again, my recommendation only compliments "AOE Grinding" spec. Arcane Power is an amazing spell but it's a Bursting Spell and there's no bursting in AOE.

12 Last