1. Server Population

Could someone kindly explain how server pop is calculated? I honestly doubt there's 7000 people on right now with <40 people in SW. Where are players going to if I'm wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. if i recall correctly it also counts the people siting at character selection screen.

3. How many people could their possibly be sitting idly by on a character screen xD? I just want to know where to find the current 5600 people online cause SW has like 12 people in it.

4. SW is just one small zone of a bigger WOW universe. Do you expect all 5600 of them to be in SW?

5. SW is just one small zone of a bigger WOW universe. Do you expect all 5600 of them to be in SW?
    Then kindly point out to me where the thousands and thousands of players are cause by golly I can't find them. They're not in bgs that's for sure with the 9-10 min ques. They're not in Dalaran there's hardly a hundred or two there. The main cities outside of SW + Orgrimmar are ghost towns. So where do you suggest they are? 5600 lowbies? What zones I can never find more than 30-40 when I /who leveling zones. If the number is accurate even with a slight margin of error where are these players? If its wrong why post that number?

I have 2 theories:

1) They're all hiding from me.

2) There's a base number of 'online players' that's fixed to the counter meaning if there's 10 people on it'd say 5010. Which would reasonably explain nigh everything.

I'll be quite frank I've played in a place with a pop cap of 7,000 and it was full most nights this was years ago. And I could barely load Dalaran that's how many people were there. SW/Orgri? Forget about it its like walking in Beijing. Any zone you /who except for the occasional few here and there had ~50-100. Also the /who worked which made it very transparent to see who's where without this 'cooldown' on it that exists here for reasons beyond my comprehension. The bottom line being it doesn't feel like there's as much players as advertised.
    Edited: January 8, 2018

6. It's highly unlikely that warmane needs to give fake numbers on their main page. A staff member can shed some light on how the numbers are calculated but all of us have a general theory.

It does not sound logical to get the per second or even per minute based data and display it on site. So maybe the data is being updated once in an hour (the graph here suggests that it's hourly based). In this case, those, who logged out 20 minutes ago will still be shown in the numbers. At this very moment, the numbers are very low.

Please note that some players are also Multiboxing and usually Multiboxers stay together.

7. It's highly unlikely that warmane needs to give fake numbers on their main page. A staff member can shed some light on how the numbers are calculated but all of us have a general theory.

It does not sound logical to get the per second or even per minute based data and display it on site. So maybe the data is being updated once in an hour (the graph here suggests that it's hourly based). In this case, those, who logged out 20 minutes ago will still be shown in the numbers. At this very moment, the numbers are very low.

Please note that some players are also Multiboxing and usually Multiboxers stay together.
    Lets deconstruct this for a moment.

"It does not sound logical to get the per second or ever per minute based data."
    No one said it would be and I agree its highly illogical. But at the server's lowest drop today (while I was on) was 5600 something. I was playing for maybe a 2 hour session during which I noticed the lack of population in the above mentioned areas. To assume that a 20 minute even a 40 minute hell for the ****s and giggles a 60 minute delay is what it takes to refresh the population counter it remains at its minimum of 5000+ assuming that multiboxers are all on assume that they have 300 toons up multiboxing right now. Do you really think they'd be that hard to find? /who'ing the areas shows no sign of any multiboxers and the biggest ones on the server in question (Icecrown) are not on/active currently (I know a fair few of them personally) so no to assume its multiboxers hiding is incorrect in my opinion.
    "Its highly unlikely that warmane needs to give fake numbers"
    On the contrary it could be a motivator for people to donate seeing that all the servers are so vibrant and jam packed it also hooks new players and cements old ones. There's much to gain from doing this. So still no real solution here.

8. The graph is showing interval of 1+ hour for the calculated population so I assume they're calculating it on hourly based.

Why it's highly unlikely to present a fake number is simply the fact that other realms are not shown having huge populations. So it's funny to say that they're giving fake number on just 1 realm / expansion. Does it mean they have "much" to gain from just 1 realm?

Below are shown the numbers on each realm as of now:

In-fact they recently had to merge a dying TBC realm with a stable one. If they were trying to "gain" something from fake numbers then there would've not been a dying realm at first place.

Also, they are smart people and displaying a "fake" number on the home page is simply a risk for people to question it (just like you did). Why would they go with the trouble of explaining it over and over again?

9. The graph is showing interval of 1+ hour for the calculated population so I assume they're calculating it on hourly based.

Why it's highly unlikely to present a fake number is simply the fact that other realms are not shown having huge populations. So it's funny to say that they're giving fake number on just 1 realm / expansion. Does it mean they have "much" to gain from just 1 realm?

Below are shown the numbers on each realm as of now:

In-fact they recently had to merge a dying TBC realm with a stable one. If they were trying to "gain" something from fake numbers then there would've not been a dying realm at first place.

Also, they are smart people and displaying a "fake" number on the home page is simply a risk for people to question it (just like you did). Why would they go with the trouble of explaining it over and over again?
    "If they were trying to "gain" something from fake numbers then there would've not been a dying realm at first place."
    The dying realm has far too few people to fake it having 1k even so yeah. But Icecrown 'could' be perceived as a high pop server making it feasible to fake it.

"Does it mean they have "much" to gain from just 1 realm?"
    Yes lol. If there's people that would otherwise not donate because the population is low (i.e it might die) would now look and say ahh well the pop looks okay the server ain't going anywhere I'll donate.

"Also, they are smart people and displaying a "fake" number on the home page is simply a risk for people to question it "
    This was addressed before in an old thread and their answers were so incoherent it was unreal. That said plenty of people question the validity of the server's pop.

I'm on right now show me where these 7500 people online are.

10. Feel free to not play in our servers if you believe we have any need to fake population numbers.

11. If the server doesn't seem crowded, I encourage you to take up mining, there must be a fortune to be made mining nodes in your delusional world.