1. Mage dps spec

Hello! I am kind of new to mages and wonder which spec i shall go whit? alot says Frost? but which is the best dps spec? Pve

2. when you are lvling, frost is considered easier, since you have a lot of talents and slows to help you out with.
    At lvl80, arcane is picked the most at lower gear, since fire will fall behind since you have enough crit (forgot the exact amount prolly sth around 40-50%?)
    In end game, both TTW/FFB fire and arcane are considered good. Frost is never played in pve, since if just falls behind in dps.
    Edited: January 13, 2018

3. Hi !

Idk your level but you can take a look at this post I made : http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=371051

You will find a lot of info about optimizing yourself in pve as a mage.

But to deliver you the info you need quickly :
    As it said before,
    - Easier spec for leveling : Frost - I did it atleast one time with each specs : Arcane it's hard to survive, Fire is fun but can be boring before you get the Living Bomb, you will do more damages as fire but eat more mana and cost more life pool so the fire spec is a bit faster then the frost but not a lot especially if you do a lot of killing mobs quests to lvl up.

- For early 80 arcane is the more powerfull during all the the dunjon phase of PVE

- When you will start raiding as a new mage Fire will be easier but will cost you a lot more of spell power statistics in order to bring up your critical hit chance.
    Have a critical hit chance upper then 46-47% with the only buffs : Brillance and Molten Armor is a must have.

- You can start raiding with a arcane spec but the gameplay even et may seems easier is way harder then raiding as fire, because perfom as a arcane mage requiert a perfect knowledage of every fight you start, a perfect placement since the beginning of the fight, and a good cold blood in order do never moove if it's not mendatory in order to stay alive, it mean knowing the radius of every aoe of bosses etc.

- At end-game level raiding fire will no longer have to sacrifice spell power for critical hit chance and will definitly overpowered arcane on most of the fights. (very shorts fights will always be at the advantage of the arcane spec because of her hard burst value; but pass 1 minute of fight fire will little by little take the lead)

As you see what you will play and when will not really be a personnal choice (for caps etc refer to the topic i linked to you). But it's not an issue but the better spec at the end-game is also one of the more fun to play and the more permissive ! (I sai one of the funniest just because people who have tried it always tell me that Frost Pve is the funniest pve spec. But frost pve spec is at a very lower level in terms of dps comparing to Fire spec and even Arcane spec.

Good luck with you choice ! (you should definitely play Arcane before getting 47% crit selfbuff and the 2T10 set bonus, and then swap on fire spec)

See u

Tiny.

4. This is more or less how specs fare in boss fights that are somewhat impartial, in the sense that certain mechanics like BQL bite or heavy AoE aren't factored in:
    Keep in mind these are retail logs, but the dps standings are more or less the same.
    Spoiler: Show
    As you can see Frost isn't anywhere in the charts simply because it doesn't perform well enough in PvE to be competitive. The fact it's missing reflects this, as the spec isn't picked nearly enough to be relevant

However for the sake of the argument, here's a chart from Festergut 25N, showing averages of 200 parses. You can find Frost on the left corner

5. This is more or less how specs fare in boss fights that are somewhat impartial, in the sense that certain mechanics like BQL bite or heavy AoE aren't factored in:
    Keep in mind these are retail logs, but the dps standings are more or less the same.
    Spoiler: Show
    As you can see Frost isn't anywhere in the charts simply because it doesn't perform well enough in PvE to be competitive. The fact it's missing reflects this, as the spec isn't picked nearly enough to be relevant

However for the sake of the argument, here's a chart from Festergut 25N, showing averages of 200 parses. You can find Frost on the left corner

Hi Sky,

The images you links are from another time xD

I don't like them ^^ espeacially not the 2d one !

The first one show the tendency, and seems good, but the numbers in term of dps speak about a time which is not existing anymore, nowadays you can add 2k dps on every bar ! It can be real numbers for the Top 50 World of Logs on retail, but 7 years after retail, guilds and raiders are now far above in terms of optimisation and knowledge of the game. (I speak about the best players) Moreover technical's stuffs improve our dps such as lower latency for most of us etc.

The second one is real **** because it show not even the tendency xD
    Rogue first on PP. xD (first melee dps maybe and even I'm not sure they beat wars.)
    The top tiers on PP are range dps such as mages hunters boomies and shadow priest.
    Moreover 13.6k dps .... it's a 0% icc buff graph maybe and even so.
    Really good fire mages can place their dps between 18 and 21k on this boss. I did see arcane reach 19-20k. Rest of good dps range can reach 17-19k

This response not for flame, Sky is a friend, but in order to be sure that new players will not considere these images as the right way, because if they do this dps they will not be top dps but no more then lower or average tier dps ^^

See u

Tiny.

@cmineur : Yes frost is really bad, i have tested it on another serv, it work you will do dps such as a elem chaman or a demono lock but most of other rdps will beat you even if you play it well. It's to much rng reliant. But this is a funny spec you will have one more proc to manage then fire's and a spell (deep freeze) which can made a really huge hit. But my advice if you want to try it and have a minimum of pleasure, farm the more optimize stuff and then play it if you are not BIS gear for it it will be way harder to play it and you will do nothing, especially if you have a lack of haste to reach the 1s cast.

Without BIS you will not cast enough fast your frostbolt to compense the rng of the procs of the spec. (1 sec cast it's perfect)
    And if you can do it without BIS you will not have enough crit and SP to exploit at the maximum the most powerfull weapon of the frost build (his crit damages modifier increased)
    Edited: January 13, 2018

6. Hi Sky,

The images you links are from another time xD
    Hai~
    If I'm not mistaken they should be from retail WoTLK, which shouldn't be all that irrelevant. If I understand the trend with WoW expansions, people don't get to farm BiS gear in time before the new expansion hits. In contrast, players here have been farming WoTLK content since 2009. So, as you rightfully pointed out:

Nowadays you can add 2k dps on every bar ! It can be real numbers for the Top 50 World of Logs on retail, but 7 years after retail, guilds and raiders are now far above in terms of optimisation and knowledge of the game. (I speak about the best players) Moreover technical's stuffs improve our dps such as lower latency for most of us etc.
    So yeah, while not reflective of the maximum potential of each class, the dps ranking is more or less that. Undoubtedly skill, gear level and rng will influence the results on a fight basis.

The second one is real **** because it show not even the tendency xD Rogue first on PP. xD
    It would be really silly indeed to see that kind of ranking for Professor, but luckily that's not the case! The image is showing Festergut 25N, which is a short, tank n' spank fight with no malleable goo or vile gas. Therefore it would make sense that burst oriented specs rank high, on average. Again, if we take into account this is the average of retail fights, you can get a general idea of the gear level people raiding icc25n have.

new players will not considere these images as the right way, because if they do this dps they will not be top dps but no more then lower or average tier dps ^^
    I completely agree with you here. These graphs are averages of 50 and 200 parses respectively, not a list of each spec's max dps.
    They just show how specs rank up in general. They're average values. Depending on the player, one can be well-above the average, or below it.

Just so we don't derail the thread:
    Frost dps in PvE isn't really competitive. You can play it for fun, but any of the other Arcane and Fire specs will easily outperform it.