1. Why don't people help out each other anymore ?

In the past, when someone asked me for a gold to train skills or a mount I'd gladly help out or offer free portals to anyone that needed it. These days everyone wants gold for portals and says that he cannot spare a few measely coins when he's dressed in the best gear. Why are people so stingy these days ? Is it the yearly gold squish to blame or what, the decreased population ?

2. It's kind of hard to know who really needs the help and who doesn't, people have always begged and asked for things. Maybe the ones you bumped into are just tired of it, or not that charitable.

Time is money friend

3. I never give gold, because it creates useless players. I give gold to guy for spells, then he needs gold for mount... what does he do? Beg around again because it worked. Why bother to participate in economy or farm something if you can just ask and get it for free? It's new players that beg, if you give them gold you spoil the game for them and they never learn how to make gold.

4. Well, it just depends upon the players. Like Mikrob said, some people are tired of doing it. Some lowbies just walk up to me, upon the trade window and demand gold. I doubt if most people would find that appropriate. People who ask me for a specific amount for a specific thing, I always lend them a bit of gold. If you really want help, just ask your Guild mates. People who know you will definitely want to help you out. As a Lvl 80 who gets 20g from each quest, I don't think people should be greedy enough not to lend 5g to a lowbie they find once a day.

5. Well, it just depends upon the players. Like Mikrob said, some people are tired of doing it. Some lowbies just walk up to me, upon the trade window and demand gold. I doubt if most people would find that appropriate.
    No way, lol, that annoys me so much. How entitled can someone get? I never give gold to beggars because it rewards bad behavior and creates more of it. It isn't that hard to make some coins or make some friends.

6. Sometimes I do give lowbies gold, but there's simply too many of them asking for it. Even if I give 5 gold to each (sometimes they want way more, 50-100), if enough players ask, it's a decent chunk of gold. Gold I could use on repairs, flasks, mats etc.

Another thing is that you simply can't know who really needs it, and who is some alt getting free gold. Sometimes same person will ask gold from different players, and he will get large sums.

But it's another thing when someone is trying to sell some items to get few golds, whenever I see someone selling stuff (mats or gold or bags). I am happy to buy stuff from those players who are actually trying.