1. Outland PvP 1v1 Tournaments

Hi all,

I am interested in hosting a biweekly public PVP dueling tournament for both factions on the weekends during EU peak hours. Dueling tournaments have been popular on some other servers and I want to know if there is enough interest here on Outland. I have some experience with how these are run, here is a quick outline of what I have in mind:

* Each participant pays some entry fee that goes into the total prize pool. First place wins 50% of the pool, Second = 25%, Third = 10%, Fourth = 5%. The organizer (me) would take 10% for coordinating everything.
    * All duels will be best of 3, the semi-finals and finals will be best of 5.

Please give me your opinions on this. Things I would like to hear from the players are:

1) How much gold are you willing to pay for an entry fee? Keep in mind higher fee = larger prize pool, but possibly less participants.

http://www.strawpoll.me/15089253

2) What day and server time would you want this to be hosted?

http://www.strawpoll.me/15089265

3) Should First Aid be allowed?

http://www.strawpoll.me/15094115

-----------

x) What consumables/buffs should be allowed?

Poll completed - People unanimously voted on all consumes being banned, so they will be banned.

Feel free to discuss this below,
    Cheers
    Edited: February 17, 2018

2. The question is rather what classes/specs you should not allow participating in this event.

Resto Druids, Resto Shamans, Disc priests, Subtlety Rogues, Feral Druids, Frost Mages, SL/SL and Felguard Warlocks will pretty much dominate the 1v1.

3. All specs will be allowed. This is non negotiable. If you have issue with that then this tournament is not for you.

4. Dont think you should allow potions / flasks. I thinks it's way more simple and smooth if you only allow selfmade consumables since it is a 1v1 after all. Just my opinion.

5. It's very difficult to keep track of what is 'self made' though. Do I armory every contestant to see if they're an alchemist? Even if they are an alch how do I know that they made the potion themself?

In addition, when there's several duels happening at the same time I can't watch if someone sneaks a mana/health potion. It's much easier to just let everyone use them so I don't have to worry about it.

Other consumes like food buffs, flasks, and scrolls, I'm not sure about yet. If enough people say they should be banned then I'm willing to not allow them

6. I probably wouldn't participate due to australian lag being horrible lol. But i would love to watch this. Would be pretty awesome! I like the idea.

7. It's very difficult to keep track of what is 'self made' though. Do I armory every contestant to see if they're an alchemist? Even if they are an alch how do I know that they made the potion themself?

In addition, when there's several duels happening at the same time I can't watch if someone sneaks a mana/health potion. It's much easier to just let everyone use them so I don't have to worry about it.

Other consumes like food buffs, flasks, and scrolls, I'm not sure about yet. If enough people say they should be banned then I'm willing to not allow them
    What im talking about is class specific consums. You are not allowed to use pots even if you are an alchemist but if you are a warlock you can use a healthstone yada yada.

8. Oh, I see what you mean. I'll wait for more feedback before I decide on that

9. I've added some polls in the main post so we can more easily get feedback

10. All specs will be allowed. This is non negotiable. If you have issue with that then this tournament is not for you.
    I hate to say it, but you will have a tournament for a select certain few if you do mate.
    If you take a look at other realms, the pattern is the same. Healers are never allowed because they were designed to be next to impossible to kill 1v1 as the game was balanced around 2v2/3v3 arena.

Rogues, ferals and frost mages will be okay for the moment, but if you are to host a tournament like this weekly one of yours, then in the long run these classes will dominate more and more. Rogues with glaives, frost mages with spell haste and druids with 4k+ attack power etc.

In essence, it means that this tournament will be pointless to participate in unless you rock one of the classes/specs in my first post. Remember, many of us have already been playing TBC on other realms for a long time, so we know the outcome of pretty much every encounter. Now you are of course free to do whatever you wish, but if you intend for this tournament to be "a thing" then I suggest you ponder what I just wrote.
    Anyhow, best of luck to you. :)

11. I hate to say it, but you will have a tournament for a select certain few if you do mate.
    If you take a look at other realms, the pattern is the same. Healers are never allowed because they were designed to be next to impossible to kill 1v1 as the game was balanced around 2v2/3v3 arena.

Rogues, ferals and frost mages will be okay for the moment, but if you are to host a tournament like this weekly one of yours, then in the long run these classes will dominate more and more. Rogues with glaives, frost mages with spell haste and druids with 4k+ attack power etc.

In essence, it means that this tournament will be pointless to participate in unless you rock one of the classes/specs in my first post. Remember, many of us have already been playing TBC on other realms for a long time, so we know the outcome of pretty much every encounter. Now you are of course free to do whatever you wish, but if you intend for this tournament to be "a thing" then I suggest you ponder what I just wrote.
    Anyhow, best of luck to you. :)
    Dude, just let him host his tournament. No need to make rocket science out of it.
    Everybody knows that Wow isn't balanced around 1v1.
    Edited: February 17, 2018

12. Dude, just let him host his tournament. No need to make rocket science out of it.
    Everybody knows that Wow isn't balanced around 1v1.
    I did it because I enjoy these kinds of events and I do intend to participate and I hope others will too. The more the merrier.
    And it is not the first time someone attempts something like this, so one might aswell point out the pros and cons so that this one can hopefully be successful don't you think?=)

13. My experience with these from Nost and Feenix was that all classes could join but only a handful would dominate (and for now I'm fine with that). Sometimes this is balanced by reducing the prize for first place and giving some prize money to 5th - 8th place. I don't have much experience with this on a TBC server so we'll have to do a few tournaments with a normal ruleset just to see how it goes

14. Well Vanilla and TBC are quite different in terms of 1v1. But anyhow, good luck. =)

15. 100% of respondents voted for consumables to be banned, so they will be banned. One exception that comes to mind is First Aid, so I made a separate poll asking if bandages should be allowed. Some classes depend a lot on first aid so I want to hear what people think, please vote on that.

Some people asked me when the first tournament will start. I'm gone next weekend so probably the first week of March. Keep an eye on this forum and in global chat because that's where I will be advertising sign ups a few days before that weekend. The entry fee looks like it will be 100g but I will keep that poll open for longer.

Lastly I am looking for someone on Horde to help me organize. Your responsibility would be to advertise sign ups a few days before, help me manage the win/loss bracket during the tournament, and be available to answer peoples questions in a discord that we will have. You will receive a cut of the prize pool for your help (up to 10%). Please message me in game if you are interested, my Horde name is Mercybank.

Please keep voting on the polls!
    Cheers