1. Duel Tournament Megathread

Welcome to the Outland Duel Tournament Megathread
    >>Brackets and signups will be managed on our Discord server: https://discord.gg/XTuMfT8<<

This weeks tournament is for Horde.
    There is no entry fee! The total prize pool for this tournament is 1000g. Please contact me either in game via mail or whisper or on Discord about signing up. My character names are: Mercybank (Horde), Mercylol (Alliance).

First place = 500 gold
    Second place = 250
    Third = 100
    Fourth = 50
    Fifth -> Eighth = 25

>>Tournament Rules<<
    --------------------------------------------------------
    * All matches are best of 3, the semi-finals and finals are best of 5.

* Most consumables are banned. No potions, no flasks/elixirs, no food buffs, no scrolls, no weapon oils. First aid is allowed. Thistle tea is banned. Using food during duels is banned. Healthstones are allowed for warlocks and mana gems are allowed for mages. No buffs from other players (only self-buffs allowed). It is your responsibility to remove all consumes and buffs given by other players, or you will be disqualified. Engineer items are allowed but this may be changed in the future.

* Healing specs and SL/SL warlocks will not be allowed.

* If you disconnect during your duel then you lose that duel.

* This tournament will be held in Gadgetzan, so you can use the arena skirmish queue to reset all cooldowns.
    --------------------------------------------------------

This thread is mostly for advertising/general info. The discord will be the main form of communication.
    Edited: March 17, 2018

2. Tournament Winner History
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tournament #1 - Horde - March 3 ------ 1st place: Trixster (Mage)
    2nd place: Vicious (Rogue), 3rd place: Eazykillaxx (Mage), 4th Place: Ftn (Mage)
    http://challonge.com/wop91v5s

------------

Tournament #2 - Horde - March 17 ------ 1st place: Yosra (Rogue)
    2nd place: Venchenko (Warlock), 3rd place: Eazykillaxx (Mage), 4th Place: Vicious (Rogue)
    https://challonge.com/35q1n6dy
    Edited: March 17, 2018

3. A few rule questions:
    How will duels regarding healer vs healer be determined?

How will duels with repeated-tactic be looked upon? An example would be a rogue vs a paladin where the rogue damages the paladin a bit, KS, restealth, sap and bandage/eat (over time this will cause the paladin to go oom).

Where will the duels take place and what are the rules regarding certain addons that can provide an unfair advantage? Examples of this can be addons tracking the yard range of spells like charge, blink and shadowstep in combination with a movement/second timer to allow rather dirty tactics.
    Will mirror duels be allowed to take place or not?

Will gear swapping in between duels be allowed? If not, does it apply to trinkets and weapons too?

What about long cooldowns like Lay on Hands, Infernal etc?

Cooldowns with player requirements, like the Warlock's Doomguard ritual?

Last but not least, how will players be matched? By a random number generation or by decision? This is very important to know as it can decide a lot of duels.

4. Right now the only interest I have is getting people to sign up. So far I've spammed global for like 20 hours but zero people have whispered me about signing up, only just calling me a scammer. lol. If people actually start showing interest in participating then I will think about all of those minor details. At this point im just thinking about cancelling it and not doing it at all

5. Well it might be best to wait until S4 has ended because people aren't that geared, lack enchants, are busy doing other things etc. :)
    However +1 for the idea, it is welcome. =)
    Edited: February 28, 2018

6. It does sound pretty scammy.

For one thing, there's little to say that you're not just going to take gold and run off with it. Sure, Warmane will ban you, but I'm not going to get my gold back. For another thing, 10% is quite a hefty profit you're aiming to make here. At a dozen players, you're pulling in more than folk are risking themselves. Sure it's probably work to organize and track these duels, but if you like Dueling, do it for its own sake. If you want to make 200g for an hour's work, go grind dailies and primals, IMO.

I'd suggest perhaps just doing a dry run, and forking over your own 100g in prizes (50 to 1st, 25/15/10 to 2nd/3rd/4th) in order to get a base of players and proof of concept that this sort of thing could work. You might get a handful of takers for free gold.

If that is a success, THEN you can go ahead and try this wild profit making scheme of yours, with folks that now know and trust you to run a tourny.

Gotta bait them before you can hook them, you crazy con man.
    Edited: February 28, 2018

7. I think that's a good idea to try, I have 1000 gold of my own I'm willing to use as a pot. And it is a lot of work to do everything, spamming in global for hours on end and managing the logistics, I think 10% is very reasonable. I'm just surprised so many people voted on my forum polls last week but when I actually try to get people to sign up, nothing

8. I would be interested in signing up if healers were banned from the duels - it's not gonna end up well if people can play with healing specc as sooner or later it's gonna be healer versus healer, also not allowing people to wait for CD's kinda ruins it.

An idea is that you manage it through skirmish instead of duels that way CD's will resset instantly and people wont be able to cheat with consumeables.

9. Ya I am thinking of banning healers I've had a few people who said the same thing. Skirmish is a cool idea but when there's up to 20 people trying to match their opponent it might not work very well. Also I'm getting a lot more whispers after I removed the entry fee xD I guess that makes sense but this will cost me
    Edited: March 1, 2018

10. Ya I am thinking of banning healers I've had a few people who said the same thing. Skirmish is a cool idea but when there's up to 20 people trying to match their opponent it might not work very well. Also I'm getting a lot more whispers after I removed the entry fee xD I guess that makes sense but this will cost me
    Gotta spend money to make money - a first time expense so to speak - if it works out more people would join.

The staff put together a similar event where you got put in arenas a few weeks ago, if you contact a GM maybe they can help you out with it (worth a try anyway. They also did not allow healers to participate and for a good reason (may seem unfair but nobody will like a 5 hour draw game).

11. First tournament is tomorrow, we currently have 11 people please let me know if you want to join!

12. Is this going to be stream? I'll watch... =)

13. Thanks everyone for a good first tournament. We had 16 participants and in the end the winner was Trixster (Mage) (see 2nd post in this thread for match results)! Hope to host another one soon once I get some more gold

14. Hi everyone,

There will be a duel tournament this Saturday (March 17) at 5pm server. Signs ups are free and again the prize pool will be 1000g. I will be changing the location of the tournament to Gadgetzan so that people can use the arena skirmish queue to reset cooldowns.
    This will be for Horde again, because unfortunately I think Alliance does not have enough population for me to justify 1000 of my own gold. If you are interested in signing up please whisper my Horde toon, name is Mercybank.

12 Last