1. How to Prot

Hey so I rolled a Prot paladin and I've been doing alright, watched some videos, read some reddit etc but I'm still struggling with going OOM and having dps tear aggro off me.

I have decent sp dmg, I think I'm down ranking appropriately (mana issues as well)

I'm just looking for some advice!

Thanks!
    Edited: March 13, 2018 Reason: typo

2. A Protection Paladin is going to have mana issues regardless. As for threat, just make sure you have the best SP weapon you can get your hands on. Make sure you're keeping stuff targeting you and keep your Holy Shield active as much as possible. Retribution Aura can help too, and costs no mana to use. If you still have threat issues, then try and put out as much holy damage as you can with your seals. Note that judging a target with Seal of the Crusader will apply a debuff on the target that causes it to take increased holy damage. Then you can follow up with Seal of Righteousness or Seal of Vengeance if you're Alliance. If you're Horde and you have a really good healer at your back, Seal of Blood can be an option for threat too, and will help you with your mana issues.

There are also other ways you can increase your threat. Like for example, there is a Darkmoon trinket that has stamina on it and also deals holy damage to enemies who attack you.
    http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/item=31858

Your mana issues should improve if you can hold aggro. If you can hold aggro, you'll take more damage. More damage taken means you can get more mana back through Spiritual Attunement (http://tbc.cavernoftime.com/spell=33776). More mana also means, in turn, you can generate more threat.

If all else fails and you're still in the gearing process, ask the DPS to lay off the damage when you initially pull, if their restless fingers can manage it.

3. Are you going OOM during one fight, and having dps pull mobs off of you later?

If this is the case, then Mercy's suggestion at working toward higher threat AND mana regeneration by getting hit more frequently is sound advice.

You should be aiming for a rough benchmark of 100 spell damage to tank lvl 70ish normals, and upwards of 150-200 spell damage to start tank heroics. At those levels, presuming dps wait 3-4 seconds to start dpsing, you should be able to maintain threat against equivalent geared dps and healers by laying down an initial consecrate, and only judging the kill-focus target once with Righteousness (put the seal back up, and wait to judge again until you swap to a different kill focus). After initial consecrate, you might consider merely laying down Rank 1 as a means to pick up any adds; max rank should no longer be necessary to maintain aggro after the initial duration of consecrate at those spell power levels.

Or are you going mildly OOM after a fight, but intitiating a second (or third/ect.) fight, and losing aggro due to inability to properly apply threat to mobs, and this is an issue because you think you should be going faster?

If the latter is the case, the answer is to merely have your group display patience while you drink between each fight. It's not ideal, but tanks are in enough demand that they can just hold their horses.