1. May 3, 2018  

LF Retribution PvP Guide *Burning Crusade*

Hi guys, I am searching on the forums and saw pvp guides for rets but from other xpacs. I am trying to find a good one for TBC PVP as Retribution Paladin.

From talents to gearing up, to spells etc, for BGs and Arena. I have found some talent trees online for 2.4.3 and will like to discuss which suit better for PvP. Some are:

0/20/41 - Improved stun
    5/15/41- Divine Strength - 5
    0/25/36 - Reckoning yolo No Crusader Strike

Basically a Google drive with a couple talent pics:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...2llVF9MQnFVUGM

@mods If I cant post drive please remove link, it's not my google drive. Thanks! :D
    Edited: May 3, 2018

2. May 8, 2018  
    Bump. Mercy's post at the main page has only for holy pals (TBC) and other xpacs but not TBC Ret.
    Any PvP guide for Rets during 2.4.3? Thanks!

3. May 8, 2018  
    There's not a whole lot of material out there for TBC Ret because it just wasn't very good and is very gear dependent. Once you get S4 gear with some pieces of S3, you should be able to land kills rather handily, but a lot of it still comes down to RNG. You can try to apply pressure with constant damage, but it generally does not work very well, especially if you are alone. Your best sources of damage are Seal of Command (very RNG reliant) and Seal of Blood which is Horde only and requires you to have a healer. Most TBC Rets that I've seen PvP focus on putting as much OOMPH behind a Seal of Command + Crusader Strike + Judgement hit combo, and sometimes use Stormherald.

4. May 12, 2018  
    what about my meta gem? and which gems should I go apart from the red str. Thanks!

5. May 15, 2018  
    tl:dr don't play ret on tbc.

I'm seeing all these paladins on retail forum saying seals and auras should come back and i'm reading that in disgust as seals gameplay was just gcdlocked and you were wasting gcd doing absolutely nothing except putting on a buff which is exactly what inquisition was and it was utterly hated throughout cata to mop. Auras are just taking spell slots that could've been actually useful rather than mitigating the most useless bit of damage. We would've gotten 3more cool spells rather than boring use and forget auras.

6. May 15, 2018  
    tl:dr don't play ret on tbc.

I'm seeing all these paladins on retail forum saying seals and auras should come back and i'm reading that in disgust as seals gameplay was just gcdlocked and you were wasting gcd doing absolutely nothing except putting on a buff which is exactly what inquisition was and it was utterly hated throughout cata to mop. Auras are just taking spell slots that could've been actually useful rather than mitigating the most useless bit of damage. We would've gotten 3more cool spells rather than boring use and forget auras.
    Shoo. You don't appreciate TBC Ret? Great! Move along!

what about my meta gem? and which gems should I go apart from the red str. Thanks!
    The meta gem is largely a preference choice, but the anti-stun one is pretty common. As for gems, I'd probably go for strength, crit, resilience, and maybe stamina if there was a socket bonus I really really wanted.

7. May 17, 2018  
    Shoo. You don't appreciate TBC Ret? Great! Move along!

The meta gem is largely a preference choice, but the anti-stun one is pretty common. As for gems, I'd probably go for strength, crit, resilience, and maybe stamina if there was a socket bonus I really really wanted.

Thanks Mercy! Sometimes I regret going ret but and re rolling lolface warrior but then I bring a lot of utility to the team especially BGs. I can crusader aura, fire frost auras, seal of justice mounted n00bs and just kill them while they try to out run me (buahaha). I still need more gear but I feel the increase of dmg and survivabily with every pvp piece I buy. Recently changed my talents and I am running this talent build: 5/13/43 ( 4 on Fanatism on the ret tree) http://armory.warmane.com/character/...utland/talents

My armory:
    http://armory.warmane.com/character/...utland/summary

Feel free to throw in any suggestions. For red gems I am going +8 str and yellow I am running orange 4str + 4 crit. For meta I have seen a couple rets run with : [Swift Skyfire Diamond] 24 AP + minor run speed but I highly doubt that stacks with the ret +15% increased movement speed talent.
    The one Mercy suggests is [Potent Unstable Diamond]? 24AP + 5% stun resist? Thing is that one requieres more blue than yellow gems to activate so I guess that is why people go for the 24AP and minor speed becuase in order to activate it you only need 1 red gem and 2 yellow.

Thanks!

8. May 18, 2018  
    I still need more gear but I feel the increase of dmg and survivabily with every pvp piece I buy.
    You will. TBC Rets are very gear dependent. But once you get there, you will do some serious damage.

Recently changed my talents and I am running this talent build: 5/13/43 ( 4 on Fanatism on the ret tree)
    Do you swap to a shield for defensive at all? If not, then you could get away with switch points from Redoubt to Imp. Devotion Aura. You can also reallocate some points in Fanaticism elsewhere, like Crusade, if you want. Just some ideas, though. Not saying you should.

Feel free to throw in any suggestions. For red gems I am going +8 str and yellow I am running orange 4str + 4 crit. For meta I have seen a couple rets run with : [Swift Skyfire Diamond] 24 AP + minor run speed but I highly doubt that stacks with the ret +15% increased movement speed talent.
    The one Mercy suggests is [Potent Unstable Diamond]? 24AP + 5% stun resist? Thing is that one requieres more blue than yellow gems to activate so I guess that is why people go for the 24AP and minor speed becuase in order to activate it you only need 1 red gem and 2 yellow.

Thanks!
    You're right, the run speed does not stack with your talent, and it is not worth dropping the talent to make it useful. You could go for a more damage-oriented meta if you prefer, too.

I was just thinking the stun resist meta because of how common stuns are. If you aren't using that many blue gems, then you can go ahead and use a different one. People use the run speed meta mainly because it's easy activate. You can use it if you want to, or other metas that match up with your gem setup and you find useful.

9. May 18, 2018  
    You will. TBC Rets are very gear dependent. But once you get there, you will do some serious damage.
    I'm afraid this is incorrect Mercy. Even in full BiS gear he will not do any serious damage whatsoever vs any other opponent with PvP gear.
    Paladins are quite crap in TBC as they have no + Spell damage whatsoever on their pieces, they got no ArP effects so all those "big numbers" can be cut down by X number x 0,7 (armor) x0,8 (resil if it is a crit) just for clothies, and don't even get me started on how it becomes on Druids.... (a 5k crit vs a bear = 5000 x 0,35 x 0,8 = 1400...) or other high armor class.
    You also got very little tools for catching up to your target and in 2.4 when Spell Haste hits you will stand next to no chance vs anything using spell haste as their GCD timer will be 1-1,3 seconds while you get stuck with the sluggish 1,5.

Hence if you want to play ret you better find a resto shaman to pocketheal you or be ready to use a boatload of consumables.

10. May 18, 2018  
    Come on, Oslimpa..
    Rets in that kind of gear are fantastic and very funny to play, especially paired with resto shaman!
    However, as stated before, it's heavily rng dependent. Even more for non-Blood-Elf since you have only that sad Seal of Command.

Socket bonuses on Retri's PvP sets are +Crit rating, right? That's the reason why all the good players were using full +Strenght gems.
    Comparing to WLK, TBC has significantly lower critical strike basis in top gear, so it's not worth to push it since resilience reduces your ciritcal chance and then even critical damage, but NOT base damage. Go full strenght, get a shaman, and enjoy your gameplay!

Arenas are very different than BGs though, in 2v2 you'll be playing utility game mostly waiting for oppurtunity, and only viable choice was Rshammy. You may have some fun with Rogue, too.
    For 3v3, this is much better and THE most funny part of the game to play. Pair yourself with RShammy and Warrior, there are setup you will hate, but you won't believe how funny is just deleting people.

/Edit: @Oslimpa Not sure about it right now, but aside from white swings, SoC procs and Judges are not affected by armor, aren't they?
    Edited: May 18, 2018

11. May 18, 2018  
    I know it is harsh Eskox, but I rather give it to people straight that things will not be as they expect them to be.
    Retridin constantly needs a WF totem up to be able to deal some kind of decent damage.

And yes you are right Eskox, but the problem is that since paladins got no spell damage on this gear in TBC compared to vanilla, their judgements and SoC, HoW, consecration etc barely do any damage worth to mentioning.

My point is that if one believes ret will be good for anything other than arena, disappointment will be served on a cold plate combined with regret.

12. May 18, 2018  
    I'm playing WLK nowadays, but I'd say that SoC and Judgement are both physical sources of damage, even though they are considered as holy school of magic. No idea about HoW.

But yeah, it's not that good when you don't have a RShammy behind you and you're not getting your procs.
    If you do, it's super-cool.

13. May 18, 2018  
    I'm afraid this is incorrect Mercy. Even in full BiS gear he will not do any serious damage whatsoever vs any other opponent with PvP gear.
    Oh really? I'm sure you've fully tested an S4 Ret on Outland, haven't you?
    Oh wait...
    Paladins are quite crap in TBC as they have no + Spell damage whatsoever on their pieces [etc]
    I'm going to have to ask you not to derail the topic.

14. May 18, 2018  
    Oh really? I'm sure you've fully tested an S4 Ret on Outland, haven't you?
    Oh wait...
    Are you trying to say Outland will be going with scripts other than that of those used in original TBC or other realms? If not, then I have for years and frankly it is a matter of simple math when it comes down to it.
    I'm going to have to ask you not to derail the topic.
    I shall not. I shall in fact give some guidance for future rets.
    1. The spec for 1v1/BGs is http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents...32033125331301
    2. Learn to seal twist it is critical if you wish to dish out extra damage. Blood elf rets are best but humans will work aswell.
    3. Cleanse will be your best friend, so make sure to bind it to a place where you can reach it casually and quickly.
    4. Only use PvE gear vs healers.
    5. Only use Shadow Resist Gear + Shadow Resist Aura vs warlocks and Shadowpriests.
    5. Do not bother fighting the following classes in a 1v1 scenario where both of you got equal gear (S3/S4 etc):
    Any healer spec, mages, rogues (they will oom you out), shamans, druids and hunters.

@Mercy, sorry for my tone btw. I am bored on Outland as I got nothing to do and I suffer from extreme "overtried patience" in wait for 7th of July to arrive along with S4/SWP/IoQD. Been like this for 3 months.

15. May 18, 2018  
    @Mercy, sorry for my tone btw. I am bored on Outland as I got nothing to do and I suffer from extreme "overtried patience" in wait for 7th of July to arrive along with S4/SWP/IoQD. Been like this for 3 months.
    Yeah, well, I'm just going to ask that people stop trying to convince someone who wants to play Ret, to not play Ret. Having these discussions are more suitable for the realm or general discussion boards, not the Paladin section.

12 Last