1. May 7, 2018  

Hydross tanking question

Hello, I would like to have informations about Hydross fight on this server.

It looks like he can do implicits crushes / crits without mentioning it as a crushing / critical attack since it's already tagged as elemental attack ?
    With 365 resist our druid is getting one shot from times to times and as a wartank I can also get -19.3k hp, on these tries we were also def capped.
    We already noticed that it's impossible to go to +250% so we're now changing form everytimes he's going to have 4th stack (100%) but we can still randomly getting OS with 19k + damage.

Can someone who did tank it on this server can give this precious information about crushes/crits, we only raid 2times / week we don't have much time and I have the feeling like we have to do this boss with 2 wartanks due to crushes...

Thanks!!

2. May 7, 2018  
    Ye its something wrong in the script, we have 2 warrior with 366 resist. The combat log says Hydross hit for "20195 (20194 ressisted)" but out tank takes the full hit and instant dies. The only thing we do is SS on tanks, swap just before 100% mark and have them pop trinket. Save all CR for tanks and pray to RNGesus. Takes us 1-2 whipes everytime just becasue tanks get 1shotted

3. May 7, 2018  
    Hydross has a chance to do an unmitigated hit that does not get affected by resistances on this server. Those hits are not crits/crushes even though he can crit, so you should be defapped.
    It has something to do with the server beeing run on a backported wrath core and resistances not working based on certain caps but each point of it giving you more dmg mitigation. This can also be witnessed on other resistance heavy fights like Mother Sharaz and Illidan.
    To work around it just try to switch just after getting the 4th stack. Ofcourse this means you have a lot more adds to deal with and less boss uptime.
    There is a very handy way to kite an infinite amount of adds as a paladintank since they are already very slow and slowable on top of it. It means you dont have to dps adds at all and can have full boss uptime. It takes a bit of practice in ironing out when to transition so that the paladin is in position to have a conc down but its very effective.

4. May 7, 2018  
    No matter how much resist you have, there will always be a minimum of 1% chance to take an unmitigated hit. No matter how geared you raid is there is a 1% chance of getting wiped.

5. May 7, 2018  
    Hello, I would like to have informations about Hydross fight on this server.

It looks like he can do implicits crushes / crits without mentioning it as a crushing / critical attack since it's already tagged as elemental attack ?
    With 365 resist our druid is getting one shot from times to times and as a wartank I can also get -19.3k hp, on these tries we were also def capped.
    We already noticed that it's impossible to go to +250% so we're now changing form everytimes he's going to have 4th stack (100%) but we can still randomly getting OS with 19k + damage.

Can someone who did tank it on this server can give this precious information about crushes/crits, we only raid 2times / week we don't have much time and I have the feeling like we have to do this boss with 2 wartanks due to crushes...

Thanks!!
    They aren't crits or crushes. There is always a 1% chance to not resist at all. If your tank gets 1 shot then wipe quickly and go again, or transition hydross so the other tank can pick him up and battle rez the first.

You have to switch him over before right before the 4th mark hits. A druid shouldn't be tanking him either. Warriors take less spell damage than druids.

6. May 8, 2018  
    No matter how much resist you have, there will always be a minimum of 1% chance to take an unmitigated hit.
    I agree with that. That's how it should be. But this is how it goes in this server:

If your tank resists 100% of hydross attack, hydross will 100% hit him back with your tanking resisting 0%.

This is a bug.

7. May 8, 2018  
    They aren't crits or crushes. There is always a 1% chance to not resist at all. If your tank gets 1 shot then wipe quickly and go again, or transition hydross so the other tank can pick him up and battle rez the first.

You have to switch him over before right before the 4th mark hits. A druid shouldn't be tanking him either. Warriors take less spell damage than druids.
    He can crit IF your not deff caped

8. May 8, 2018  
    He can crit IF your not deff caped
    That should go without saying.

9. May 9, 2018  
    People, who kills it, say, what you need 375 capped resistence for maximum chance to avoid non-resist on this server.

10. May 9, 2018  
    Even if you are 375 capped with either NR or FR gear (on their respective sides) he will still be able to 1-shot you. Tho the chance for this is purely RNG dependant, it still happens at least once per kill, at least from my experience. Also i think that there is much bigger chance of it happening while he is in his NR faze, for some reason.

11. May 9, 2018  
    This question really got me interested in how the resistance formula works so I did a lot of research on the subject.

I will do my best to explain how Hydross's Melee (For spell dmg) is supposed to work. I cannot comment on how his attacks are actually working.

There are two rolls on how you get hit. The first is on avoidance and the second is on Spell Resistance.

1. Avoidance roll
    - If you dodge/parry/miss etc

2. Resistance roll.
    - Assume Hydross hits for 10k dmg on a normal Nature Melee hit. The table of hits can be explained in you resisting 0%, 25%, 50% or 75% of the dmg. The original Blue post explained that you could resist 100% of a melee spell attack but this has since been proved to be false.

The actual table of hits that land (Not dodge, miss, etc) on a tank with 365 resistance to that school of magic:

1% of these will hit for 100% dmg
    3% of these will hit for 75% dmg
    16% of these will hit for 50% dmg
    80% of these will hit for 25% dmg

There is a lot more to the math behind this but this is just a basic understanding.

The oneshot "problem" comes in on that 1% chance for an unmitigated hit.

If we assume that hydross hits nature for 10k, then at 4 stacks (100% additional dmg) there is a 1% chance that on melee he will hit your tank for 20k. Even worse, if your tank is not defense capped that attack can crit and your tank can be hit for 30k+.

Scarab of displacement really should have been dropped by someone else as it's huge for reaching defense cap in Resistance gear.